You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 05:22:28

LeftyAce

[SOLVED] Luks encrypted root, passphrase-protected keyfile error

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my system to require a passphrase AND a keyfile (aka an encrypted keyfile) to unlock my root partition.
My configuration is currently:
/boot on a USB thumb drive. There's a plain text encryption key on there as well to unlock /
/ on internal disk (encrypted)
/home on internal disk (encrypted).

When I try to set up a new luks encrypted keyfile, with mkinitcpio hook to open it, I get the following error on boot:

:: Triggering uevents
:: running hook [lukskey]
Enter passphrase for /boot/luks.key:
Attaching loopback device failed (loop device with autoclear flag is required).
Device lukskey is not active.
:: running hook [encrypt[
Keyfile cound not be opened. Reverting to passphrase.

A password is required to access the cryptroot volume:

What is supposed to happen is: luks.key gets opened (with a passphrase), and attached to /dev/mapper/lukskey. The contents (the key for cryptroot) then get catted somewhere and used to unlock cryptroot. I believe it's failing to even open /boot/luks.key and assign it to /dev/mapper/lukskey ("Loop device with autoclear flag is required)."

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

I was trying to follow the instructions here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193451
and here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Custom_Ini … ed_keyfile

I modified/created the following files:

/etc/initcpio/install/lukskey (Created):
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

build() {
        add_file "/boot/luks.key"
        add_runscript

}

help () {
     cat <<HELPEOF                                                                                                                                                                                                               
LUKS-Encrypted Key                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Using /boot/luks.key                                                                                                                                                                                                             
HELPEOF                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
}
/etc/initcpio/hooks/lukskey (created):

#!/usr/bin/ash    
run_hook() {
    cryptsetup -T 5 luksOpen /boot/luks.key lukskey && cat /dev/mapper/lukskey > /boot/crypto_keyfile.bin
    cryptsetup luksClose lukskey
}
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf (modified)
HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block bcache lukskey encrypt filesystems keyboard fsck"
# Note the addition of "lukskey" between "bcache" and "encrypt"
Original /etc/default/grub (works):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/yyyyyyy-yyyy-yyyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyyy:cryptroot cryptkey=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx:ext4:/keyfile"
Attempted new grub (I think things are failing before this step):

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cryptdevice=/dev/disk/by-uuid/yyyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyyyyyy:cryptroot cryptkey=/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx:ext4:/crypto_keyfile.bin"       

Last edited by LeftyAce (2018-03-15 06:18:28)

#2 2018-03-15 06:18:12

LeftyAce

Re: [SOLVED] Luks encrypted root, passphrase-protected keyfile error

I found a solution! Apparently 2 days of googling wasn't enough, I needed 2 days plus 1 hour:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208276

Bottom line, I needed to add the loop module to /etc/initcpio/install/lukskey as follows:

/etc/initcpoi/install/lukskey
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

build() {
        add_file "/boot/luks.key"
        add_runscript
        add_module loop

}

help () {
     cat <<HELPEOF                                                                                                                                                                                                               
LUKS-Encrypted Key                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Using /boot/luks.key                                                                                                                                                                                                             
HELPEOF                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
}

Board footer