You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-12 09:53:54

tmadhavan

GAIM / Fluxbox: How to tell if window is in focus (codewise)

Morning all.

I've recently managed to acquire a Thinkpa T40 laptop, which includes a funky little light at the top.
There is a GAIM plugin that some enterprising chaps have done here and here. I have only got the former to work, as I can't work out how to install .debs, or get the source from them.

Anyway, everything works fine (almost). The problem is that when the GAIM conversation is in focus, the sight still flashes. So, even when I'm watching the box for a reply, I get the not-inconsiderably-bright light in my eyes. Very annoying, especially when talking to other geeks who tend to type a quarter of a sentence per line!

So, I'm wondering why I don't try and get it sorted. Sadly, I have no idea where to start. I've looked at the C code for lightthink, but I'm not intimitely famililar with it. Basically I'd like to know how to check for window focus, be in it in Fluxbox or within GAIM. I'd also like to know if I could use Python, and whether a plugin is necessary (e.g. if GAIM uses a standard port, listen for msgs separately to GAIM - although again, focus).

If anyone has any idea about this, it'd be much appreciated. One of thes little nigg/ing things that'o ruining my laptop experience right now. And sus to disk...

Peace.

Board footer