You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 03:10:56

RobinLikesToCode

[SOLVED] multiple things going wrong with VLC

I have a strange problem with VLC.
One day, the UI randomly glitched out. It froze and there was lots of pixelation.
After restarting the program, it has exhibited weird behavior:
All the components of the UI except for text are twice the size, scrolling controls for volume and scrubbing are wrongly assigned and backwards, and I can't correct their behaviour from the settings, and whenever I resize the window larger than the original size of the video, it immediately displays a black screen, only playing back the sound. Decreasing the size of the window doesn't recover the video either. Only restarting the application works and even then, the other undesired behaviours remain.
I have uninstalled and wiped every config file and trace of vlc from my system and reinstalled multiple times but the problems persist.
I should also mention that I use Suckless' DWM for my desktop environment. Maybe that has something to do with VLC misbehaving.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by RobinLikesToCode (2018-03-17 14:18:39)

#2 2018-03-15 08:41:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] multiple things going wrong with VLC

Terminal output? Which video decoder are you using? What hardware are you using? Can you try without hardware decoding? UI scaling issues might be some incorrect HIDPI detection, what qt5 theme are you using.

#3 2018-03-17 05:58:04

RobinLikesToCode

There's no terminal output relevant or otherwise, I tested all the video decoders and each had the same behavior/no effect, I'm using a Clevo laptop with last year's Nvidia gforce gtx 1060 with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, and enabling or disabling the hardware decoding makes no change.

I'm using the qt5ct utility and using the gtk+ theme with everything else set to default/global settings.

I probably should have been clear in the first post that I couldn't garner any useful information, or else I would have included it.

#4 2018-03-17 06:12:55

RobinLikesToCode

Thank you for the helpful link. I've looked at the HIDPI page before, but I missed the Qt5 section.

Adding the line,

QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0

to /etc/environment set everything back to normal.

I'm assuming that some part of Qt was updated and caused VLC to scale differently.

On a funny side note, there were several other Qt apps that I assumed had a large UI by default that are now correctly scaled as well as VLC.

Thanks again for the help!

Board footer