You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 08:23:36

AgentMat

systemd-sysusers failing

I have this problem for a few weeks now. The creation of system users fails during boot:

not much info from the logs:

agentmat ~ 
$ journalctl -u systemd-sysusers.service
-- Logs begin at Sat 2015-02-14 11:06:16 CET, end at Sat 2018-03-17 09:17:31 CET. --
Feb 11 10:04:42 Gnosis systemd[1]: systemd-sysusers.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Feb 11 10:04:42 Gnosis systemd[1]: systemd-sysusers.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Feb 11 10:04:42 Gnosis systemd[1]: Failed to start Create System Users.
agentmat ~ 
$  systemctl list-units --state=failed
  UNIT                     LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                                                                                                    
● systemd-sysusers.service loaded failed failed Create System Users                                                                                            

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

1 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

I have tried to launch the process manually, but it fails. Error message suggests a permission issue, but it seems fine to me. Following a suggestion on this forum I ran grpck, which fixed a duplicate issue, but didn't fix my issue.

agentmat ~ 
$ ls -l /etc/passwd /etc/group
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  985 Mar 17 08:48 /etc/group
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1637 Mar 17 08:48 /etc/passwd
agentmat ~ 
$ sudo systemd-sysusers 
[sudo] password for agentmat: 
Creating group render with gid 992.
Creating group cups with gid 209.
Creating user cups (cups helper user) with uid 209 and gid 209.
Failed to write files: Invalid argument

I tried moving the conf files that defines the render and cups group, thinking it could be a synthax error in those files, then the command just does nothing but still fails to write.

I don't seem to find any related issue on the net, perhaps someone here will have an idea of what's going on.

Thank you !

Board footer