You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 01:19:27

mattseaton

[Solved] No Boot after PSU failure

I had my system up and running fine until yesterday when the PSU died suddenly.  I went and got a quick replacement and now, for some reason, my boot partition on my main HDD is no longer recognized.  The PC turns on and just says the familiar "Insert boot media" message.  I put an arch install USB in and boot into that and of course all my partitions are still there, including the boot partition.  I can manually mount it and see the usual files.   The computer just refuses to see it at boot.  How could this happen?  How can I fix it?  Everything on the hdd seems fine already so I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by mattseaton (2018-03-17 14:22:05)

#2 2018-03-17 01:42:43

loqs

Re: [Solved] No Boot after PSU failure

If the system is booting using efi does the output of efibootmgr list whichever boot loader the system uses?

#3 2018-03-17 03:44:52

sevendogs

File system corruption due to power loss? Can you run file system checks against all partitions to make sure they are sound? This would be done from boot media such as a CD or a thumb drive.

"Give a man a truth and he will think for a day. Teach a man to reason and he will think for a lifetime"

#4 2018-03-17 14:19:14

mattseaton

loqs wrote:

If the system is booting using efi does the output of efibootmgr list whichever boot loader the system uses?

This got me on the right track.  Thanks.  I just mounted everything, did arch-chroot, and reran grub-install and grub-mkconfig and now it's booting to Linux again.  Grub-mkconfig was probably not necessary, but just to be thorough.

I forgot the EFI system has a chip on the motherboard that holds the boot instructions.  I guess it got wiped when the PSU failed.

Next time I install the OS I'm going to skip EFI altogether.

Last edited by mattseaton (2018-03-17 16:18:05)

Board footer