You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 11:01:36

Genis

Doubt regarding the use of Fcitx-sogoupinyin

Hi, I was trying to set sogou-pinyin to write chinese characters. I'm using KDE Plasma 5 desktop environment.

As chinese fonts, I have installed the Adobe sources (adobe-source-han-sans-otc-fonts and adobe-source-han-serif-otc-fonts packages).

As input method, I installed the fcitx package, as well as fcitx-sogoupinyin from the AUR. The fcitx-configtool and kcm-fcitx packages have also been installed.

After running

fcitx-autostart

And setting Sogou-pinyin as input method (using fcitx-configtool) and restarting, I can actually see a keyboard icon on the bottom right corner of the screen and select Sogou as input method. However, no chinese characters appear as I expected (I had some experience using Sogou in the past).

What am I missing?

#2 2018-03-17 14:32:47

scottro
Website

Re: Doubt regarding the use of Fcitx-sogoupinyin

NOTE:  All this is untested on Chinese and on Arch, but I'm extrapolating from Japanese on some desktop environments.

Often, once you've set the fcitx-configtool, you still have to right click on that keyboard icon and look for an option to configure current input method or something similar.   
Click the plus sign at lower left.  Uncheck the box that reads only show current
language. The box below it is the search box, type sogoupinyan  in there.  In the
top textbox, you should now see sogopinyan, and, once you highlight it,
you should be able to click the OK button.  Do it and close the window.  You may have to log out and log in again.

This is just a guess, though, judging from what I've run into with some systems and Japanese.   (As I've never installed fcitx-sogoupinyan, I don't know the exact name that you'll type in the search box, but it should be whatever you used with fcitx-configtool).

In theory this shouldn't be necessary, if you set it up with fcitx-configtool, but I've found (randomly, no pattern to it that I've seen) that sometimes input won't work till I do this.

Also, note that I haven't tried this with Arch, where I use a minimal desktop and just configure it manually.   To do it manually, you start fcitx and then stop X completely.  You look for $HOME/.config/fcitx and in there is a file called profile.  Look for your input method, sogou, sogoupinyan, or whatever it's called. If, after its listing it says False, change that to True.   Save the file and restart X.

#3 2018-03-17 19:27:12

Genis

scottro wrote:

Uncheck the box that reads only show current
language. The box below it is the search box, type sogoupinyan  in there.  In the
top textbox, you should now see sogopinyan, and, once you highlight it,
you should be able to click the OK button.  Do it and close the window.  You may have to log out and log in again.

I followed this steps but still the same. My current input methods are "Keyboard - Spanish" and "Sogou Pinyin", but I still cannot use this second one. I also added "Keyboard - Chinese", but nothing.

Generating the locales (by editing the /etc/locale.gen file) and running locale-gen does nothing either.

#4 2018-03-17 20:32:22

scottro
Website

I'm sorry. As I said, all untested by me on Chinese and Arch. The only other thing I can suggest is the other thing I mentioned, directly editing the $HOME/.config/fcitx/profile file.  Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about Chinese with fcitx will see this and help.

Board footer