You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-18 09:37:28

freyr

[Solved] Text overflows in the taskbar of lxqt-panel

On LXQt, in the taskbar of lxqt-panel the text overflows if windows have longer names than the width of the button.
text overflow

It happens with and without icons, with and without window grouping. I googled the problem and found only a single result from 2015 but that was solved apparently.
Does anybody else have this problem? Is it Arch specific or a problem of the lxqt-panel? Any ideas?

Edit: almost thought the compositor's causing the problem, but it's not. In icon only view it seemed okay for a moment but the buttons don't expand too much and long window texts still overflow regardless of a compositor.

Last edited by freyr (2018-03-19 14:43:00)

What, so everyone's supposed to sleep every single night now? You realize that nighttime makes up half of all time?

#2 2018-03-18 13:32:54

Lone_Wolf

Re: [Solved] Text overflows in the taskbar of lxqt-panel

Are you using openbox or KWin (or something else) as window manager ?

On my lxqt/openbox (vertically aligned panel) long texts are cut off and full text is shown in a tooltip.

Does increasing the number of rows through "configure panel " improve the situation ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-03-18 13:33:20)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-03-18 17:42:28

freyr

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Are you using openbox or KWin (or something else) as window manager ?

On my lxqt/openbox (vertically aligned panel) long texts are cut off and full text is shown in a tooltip.

Does increasing the number of rows through "configure panel " improve the situation ?

I use Openbox.

Increasing the row count doesn't change it.

What, so everyone's supposed to sleep every single night now? You realize that nighttime makes up half of all time?

#4 2018-03-19 11:31:30

Lone_Wolf

What is "toolbar button style" (preferences > lxqt settings > appearance ) set to ?

What behaviour do you get if you position the panel to "left of desktop" (or "right of desktop") instead of "bottom of desktop" ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2018-03-19 14:37:16

freyr

Lone_Wolf wrote:

What is "toolbar button style" (preferences > lxqt settings > appearance ) set to ?

What behaviour do you get if you position the panel to "left of desktop" (or "right of desktop") instead of "bottom of desktop" ?

"The text appears beside the icon". The other options won't change anything on the panel, but here I found that the problem has something to do with the widget styles because it persists with "Breeze", "qt5ct-style" and "Oxygen", but not with "Windows" and "Fusion". So for now I'll stick with Fusion.

Thanks!

Edit:
I rebooted using the Fusion style to see if it holds up, then switched back to qt5ct-style and the problem didn't come back, neither with the Breeze or Oxygen styles. I rebooted again with qt5ct-style but it still didn't come back and now I can't even reproduce it. It might be some bug but I'm not qualified to figure out where it is. Anyway, somehow it's solved.

Last edited by freyr (2018-03-19 15:12:36)

Board footer