You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-19 00:16:30

Annoyingduck

[Request] Sendanywhere Maintainer Needed, Package No Longer Builds

I was hoping someone would be interested in picking up maintaining the Sendanywhere package.  The Chrome plugin is ok, but the app is better.  I cannot install it on a new installation from the AUR anymore due to build errors and I'm not in the knowledge of creating/maintaining an AUR package. This is a very cool Android app and desktop app that has much more power than Superbeam. Here's the link to the AUR package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sendanywhere
And a link to the Send Anywhere Downloads section where they have a compiled .deb installer for Ubuntu:
https://send-anywhere.com/file-transfer

#2 2018-03-19 00:38:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Request] Sendanywhere Maintainer Needed, Package No Longer Builds

Please post the errors you are getting so any potential adopter/helper knows what they're getting into.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-03-19 00:42:02

Annoyingduck

Trilby wrote:

Please post the errors you are getting so any potential adopter/helper knows what they're getting into.

I was actually just editing the post to include that!  Here's a copy of the terminal output using Trizen (result is the same with Yoaurt and Pamac):

==> Making package: sendanywhere latest-1 (Sun Mar 18 20:39:38 EDT 2018)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 49.0M  100 49.0M    0     0  2109k      0  0:00:23  0:00:23 --:--:-- 4059k
==> Validating source_x86_64 files with md5sums...
    sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb ... Skipped
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Extracting sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb with bsdtar
==> Starting prepare()...
==> Checking integrity with MD5sums.
open: No such file or directory
elf_open: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in prepare().
    Aborting...
:: Unable to build sendanywhere - makepkg exited with code: 2
=>> Do you want to try again? [y/N]:

#4 2018-03-19 01:07:10

loqs

# Maintainer: Ashwin Vishnu <ashuwish+arch at gmail dot com>

pkgname=sendanywhere
pkgver=latest
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Direct file sharing across all platforms/devices. Send Anywhere is a multi-platform file sharing service where users can directly share digital content in real time."
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="https://www.send-anywhere.com"
license=('custom:sendanywhere_eula')
provides=('sendanywhere')
makedepends=('chrpath' 'xdg-utils' 'desktop-file-utils')
install=$pkgname.install
depends=('postgresql-libs' 'qt5-svg' 'gtk3' 'libmariadbclient')
source_i686=("https://update.send-anywhere.com/linux_downloads/sendanywhere_latest_i386.deb")
source_x86_64=("https://update.send-anywhere.com/linux_downloads/sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb")
md5sums_i686=('SKIP')
md5sums_x86_64=('SKIP')

prepare() {
   bsdtar xJf data.tar.xz
   bsdtar xzf control.tar.gz
   echo '==> Checking integrity with MD5sums.'
   md5sum -c md5sums --strict --quiet

# Remove insecure RPATH
   chrpath --delete "opt/SendAnywhere/SendAnywhere"
}

pkgver() {
   awk -F": " '/Version/{print $2}' control | sed -E 's/-/./g'
}

package() {
   mv usr opt $pkgdir

echo '==> Copying license.'
   install -Dm644 "$pkgdir/usr/share/doc/sendanywhere/copyright" "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE"
   rm -r "$pkgdir/usr/share/doc"
}

The binary had changed location so chrpath fails.  The pkgver generated contained a - so that fails both fixed.
The license file formally at usr/share/doc/sendanywhere/copyright is missing left unfixed,  control claims the license is ISC but not independently verified.
package function should probably be reworked.

#5 2018-03-19 01:16:09

eschwartz
Fellow

The current PKGBUILD is truly dreadful, notice how it deletes user data during the post_remove script.

Of course this is mitigated by the fact that it accidentally only does that for the root user, who almost certainly doesn't have any.

It also installs untracked icons in the post_install rather than in package(). Which won't work as the currently available deb package installs the icons properly...

The error itself comes from the fact that it tries to run the chrpath command on a nonexistent file. Which is linked to a whole host of system libraries, not vendored ones... just like all electron apps... but maybe it should use the system electron package instead. wink

I am not sure why chrpath errors with that bizarre error message instead of "chrpath: No such file or directory". Sounds like a chrpath bug.

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-03-19 14:53:48)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2018-03-19 01:31:27

loqs

#7 2018-03-19 14:42:15

Annoyingduck

I'm not familiar with how pkgbuilds work, but I'm guessing from the responses that the current pkgbuild is borked and needs to be reworked. I'm really hoping someone will see this post and take on the task of maintaining that program for us.  It's really a nice wireless transfer tool between Android and your desktop.  I used Superbeam for years, but the project seems to have stopped development.  It still works, but with both the Android and desktop apps being out of date errors are starting to occur with usage.  This SendAnywhere program does everything Superbeam does and more.  Very nice program.

#8 2018-03-19 17:51:06

loqs

Annoyingduck wrote:

I'm not familiar with how pkgbuilds work

PKGBUILD documents the different sections of a PKGBUILD which is written in bash script.
Assuming you used the two changes I already made the one issue left before you would have a running PKGBUILD would be the install line in
the package function which fails for the missing license file. That can just be commented out.
As Eschwartz pointed out the install file is dangerous so commenting out the install entry in the PKGBUILD to prevent that being used.
The PKGBUILD should then produce a package for you and will not try to delete user data files on removal.
It would not be acceptable for AUR at that point but it could be the starting point for further work.

#9 2018-03-19 17:54:55

Annoyingduck

loqs wrote:
Annoyingduck wrote:

I'm not familiar with how pkgbuilds work

PKGBUILD documents the different sections of a PKGBUILD which is written in bash script.
Assuming you used the two changes I already made the one issue left before you would have a running PKGBUILD would be the install line in
the package function which fails for the missing license file. That can just be commented out.
As Eschwartz pointed out the install file is dangerous so commenting out the install entry in the PKGBUILD to prevent that being used.
The PKGBUILD should then produce a package for you and will not try to delete user data files on removal.
It would not be acceptable for AUR at that point but it could be the starting point for further work.

AKA, it's better to not mess with this and stick with the browser plugin and hope someone takes over maintaining the package!

#10 2018-03-19 18:18:52

ray731

Why this package is needed? File sharing between android and arch can be solved via samba (wifi, tethering), for example.

#11 2018-03-19 18:45:14

Annoyingduck

ray731 wrote:

Why this package is needed? File sharing between android and arch can be solved via samba (wifi, tethering), for example.

People like different programs.  Your question is kinda like why is Chromium in the repos when Firefox is available. This is very handy. Not only does it do file sharing, but you can create an account and have permanent/timed links for private sharing direct from your computer.  It's sorta like having owncloud/superbeam/airdroid/dropbox all combined in a single easy to use program. Set up is super easy. Just install it, log in, and use it.

#12 2018-03-19 18:57:51

eschwartz
Fellow

That logic would be more compelling if only this did not seem to be a proprietary service.

Their API documentation links to https://github.com/estmob

Which contains some sort of SDK, and a couple "desktop" repositories containing nothing but empty README files. Why would most people want to use a mysterious proprietary binary when there are a number of existing solutions like samba?

For that matter, how is it better than a pastebin?

#13 2018-03-19 19:18:45

ray731

Create an account and your files are gone to the cloud on someone's server? I'd rather not if I can manage without it.

#14 2018-03-19 19:36:20

Annoyingduck

Eschwartz wrote:

That logic would be more compelling if only this did not seem to be a proprietary service.

Their API documentation links to https://github.com/estmob

Which contains some sort of SDK, and a couple "desktop" repositories containing nothing but empty README files. Why would most people want to use a mysterious proprietary binary when there are a number of existing solutions like samba?

For that matter, how is it better than a pastebin?

I like it's simplicity. My go to app for my own wireless phone-desktop transfers was Superbeam. Unfortunately hat project is no longer being developed and I'm having problems on Android 8.1. So I came across SendAnywhere as a replacement. What I like about Superbeam is how simple it is.  Install the app, install the desktop client, and any file you drag into, it a QR code is generated and you read the code with the app on your phone and it sends the file. No typing, nothing, done.  Same thing from phone to computer (if you have a camera), if you don't have a camera it's a simple 6 digit code. This program SendAnywhere does the same thing the Superbeam does plus adds the ability to share your links with other people. I did not look into the source code, but my initial understanding was that it did not have access to your files, only your sharing links (if you generated any). Thanks for pointing that info out, I may need to look for some other alternatives.

This project here has hope: https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi … k-t3638988 It's called EasyShare and the developer has made a Linux desktop client.  The linux client is a bit buggy (you have to force close it, and executing it throws a bunch of errors), but all in all it seems to work pretty well.

I currently use Solid Explorer with the FTP plugin on Android and FileZilla which works well, but you have to type in the address and establish a connection whenever you need to transfer something.  I really enjoy Superbeam & SendAnywhere's qrcode/6-digit simplicity.

#15 2018-03-19 20:33:27

eschwartz
Fellow

Annoyingduck wrote:

I did not look into the source code, but my initial understanding was that it did not have access to your files, only your sharing links (if you generated any). Thanks for pointing that info out, I may need to look for some other alternatives.

It is an application binary, what makes you think it needs your permission to access your files?

Android may run all software in a sandbox that tries to prevent anything you do not explicitly allow, but Linux, Windows, and macOS certainly don't, and this is a Linux desktop program...

#16 2018-03-21 08:10:39

jadelord

Annoyingduck wrote:

I like it's simplicity

Original AUR maintainer here (and don't shout at me for the allegedly *dreadful* PKGBUILD).
Since I no longer use sendanywhere, I have no interest in fixing the PKGBUILD everytime it breaks (apparently estmob does not have any interest in maintaining it either last time I asked).

But I sympathize with you Annoyingduck, and it was quite easy and fast to use. Since you liked it very much, you might have the drive to maintain it.
It was my first AUR package as well. So if I can do it so can you. Here are some pointers.

Some tools that you might need

* debtap - Creates a PKGBUILD from the a .deb archive
* mksrcinfo - Creates the .SRCINFO from the PKGBUILD. Required to upload it back to AUR
* makepkg -s - Create are "pacman -U" installable tarball
* namcap - Verifies the integrity of the generated tarball

Also have a look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages

With the four tools above you can create your own sendanywhere package from the scratch - almost automagically. smile
Some user intervention maybe needed at times.
You wouldn't even have to use the current AUR PKGBUILD! Good luck!

#17 2018-03-25 15:47:17

Annoyingduck

Package is now being maintained by @aaronfischer and is building/working properly.  Thanks @aaronfischer for picking this up.

#18 2018-03-25 21:01:48

loqs

Just the actual licence for the application not being included seems unfixed https://send-anywhere.com/terms does not match the ones now included for chromium and electron.

#19 2018-03-26 15:29:55

eschwartz
Fellow

Also please debundle electron then run /opt/SendAnywhere/resources/app.asar using the community package for electron. Since it is a single-file app.asar this is as simple as:

mv "$pkgdir"/opt/SendAnywhere/resources/app.asar "$pkgdir"/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar
rm -rf "$pkgdir"/opt/
install -Dm755 sendanywhere "$pkgdir"/usr/bin/sendanywhere

Where "sendanywhere" is a simple shell script:

#!/bin/sh

exec electron /usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar

Then replace the depends with just "electron".

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-03-26 15:30:51)

#20 2018-03-27 22:35:22

aaronmueller
Website

Hi!

I've adopted the package and rewritten it.
Thanks @Eschwartz for the hints to get rid of electron. This will make the package ~140MB smaller smile My PKGBUILD so far:

# Maintainer: Aaron Fischer <mail@aaron-fischer.net>
# Contributor: Ashwin Vishnu <ashuwish+arch at gmail dot com>

pkgname=sendanywhere
pkgver=8.2.13
pkgrel=3
pkgdesc="Send Anywhere is a multi-platform file sharing service where users can directly share digital content in real time."
arch=('x86_64')
url="http://send-anywhere.com"
license=('custom')
options=('!strip' '!emptydirs')
depends=('electron')
source=("${pkgname}-${pkgver}.deb::https://update.send-anywhere.com/linux_downloads/sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb"
        'LICENSE'
        'sendanywhere')
sha512sums=('294525a6440a8eb7a263993ee655a57b1f40c76c476e231ec1b974e8a3a85dfdc763555be368e200a21d065746f2e271855ee34a6107e308618b6cdd0d1a0532'
            '92e91b1eea3f164e3f515491dfe95b6d5a9f542475caa4ca682dff624405d135bbb57c23f364c30fb90456a1813b4ec25bc84c14e83d4fbebf0819fe5396632f'
            '98050cd2c596a50b2ccd28831011510b427244007fd2a438ead444eedcb599682ab6d6db9bf9b182015a4944e18936c426299a824f895c86d6f3fa62f2202955')

package() {
    tar xf data.tar.xz -C "$pkgdir"

# License file
    install -Dm644 LICENSE "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE"

# Unbundle electron
    mv "$pkgdir"/opt/SendAnywhere/resources/app.asar "$pkgdir"/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar
    rm -rf "$pkgdir"/opt
    sed -i 's/\/opt\/SendAnywhere\/SendAnywhere/\/usr\/bin\/sendanywhere/' "$pkgdir"/usr/share/applications/SendAnywhere.desktop
    install -Dm755 sendanywhere "$pkgdir"/usr/bin/sendanywhere
}

But the SendAnywhere.asar will not start properly. It crashes on startup with the following exception:

App threw an error during load
Error: Cannot open 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node: Error: 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:1:808)
    at Object../build/Release/paprika.node (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:1:878)
    at t (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:1:270)
    at Object../src/main/commands/command.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:55:652348)
    at Object../src/main/commands/device/query-info.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:55:664218)
    at Object../src/main/managers/device-info.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:60:88818)
    at Object../src/main/managers/command.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:60:69763)
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: Cannot open 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node: Error: 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:1:808)
    at Object../build/Release/paprika.node (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:1:878)
    at Object../src/main/commands/command.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:55:652348)
    at Object../src/main/commands/device/query-info.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:55:664218)
    at Object../src/main/managers/device-info.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:60:88818)
    at Object../src/main/managers/command.js (/usr/share/SendAnywhere.asar/src/main/main.prod.js:60:69763)
^C%

Any ideas?

#21 2018-03-28 00:42:39

eschwartz
Fellow

Hmm, looks like you need opt/SendAnywhere/989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node as well, it is some shared library called paprika.node which is not bundled in the app.asar but isn't in app.asar.unpacked either (which I *think* is where this stuff usually goes).

Not sure how to do this... it means this cannot be an "any" arch package of course, but you're also not supposed to put arch-dependent data in /usr/share... I guess install it into /usr/lib and the application *should* pick it up. I doubt anything else will clash with this UUID-named .node library so it shouldn't cause problems.

It's some 9.5 MB thing which *doesn't seem to be https://www.npmjs.com/package/paprika (the only one I could find). So who knows.

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-03-28 00:53:48)

#22 2018-03-28 21:03:31

aaronmueller
Website

Ok, I invested some more time on that.
The mysterious node binary addon 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node can be loaded within the electron call like this:

$ electron --require ./989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node app.asar

Problem is, that the 989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node addon is compiled against a different Node.js version

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: The module '/....../resources/989ef76c34c270cf9e9cb34ee49db87e.node'
was compiled against a different Node.js version using
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 54. This version of Node.js requires
NODE_MODULE_VERSION 57. Please try re-compiling or re-installing
the module (for instance, using `npm rebuild` or `npm install`).
    at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:172:20)
    at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:598:18)
    at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:172:20)
    at Module.load (module.js:503:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:466:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:458:3)
    at Module.require (module.js:513:17)
    at Function.Module._preloadModules (module.js:665:12)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/electron/resources/default_app.asar/main.js:246:10)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/lib/electron/resources/default_app.asar/main.js:366:3)

I've tried to rebuild the .node file, but apparently this does not work (hence it is a compiled binary).

So, IMHO there is no way to use the electron system package to run sendanywhere sad
Any further ideas?

#23 2018-03-28 22:19:00

eschwartz
Fellow

Well, if we only knew where it came from. sad Then it could probably be rebuilt from source.

Oh well, you tried but it doesn't work... looks like there is no choice but to use an ancient bundled electron copy. Proprietary apps suck...

In case you're wondering why I didn't notice any of this, I did extract their deb to look at the tree structure but I didn't want to try running their application which I don't have a trust relationship with.

#24 2018-03-29 19:01:53

Annoyingduck

Our updated SendAnywhere AUR package is working and that's great.  Thanks again for getting this for us. A bit off topic, but now that I've tried so many alternatives I've found SendAnywhere to perform slowly on transfers compared to other programs and it also doesn't seem to transfer folders properly (it'll send the files within the folder, but not the folders themselves). I've been doing a lot of testing with EasyJoin, and I'm really enjoying this program.  I think this may interest some of you here and the possibility of someone creating an AUR package would be really nice.  I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but figured I'd throw it out there.  Here's EasyJoin's Linux site: https://easyjoin.net/linux.html

#25 2018-03-29 19:28:26

aaronmueller
Website

Annoyingduck wrote:

Our updated SendAnywhere AUR package is working and that's great.  Thanks again for getting this for us. A bit off topic, but now that I've tried so many alternatives I've found SendAnywhere to perform slowly on transfers compared to other programs and it also doesn't seem to transfer folders properly (it'll send the files within the folder, but not the folders themselves). I've been doing a lot of testing with EasyJoin, and I'm really enjoying this program.  I think this may interest some of you here and the possibility of someone creating an AUR package would be really nice.  I don't want to change the direction of this thread, but figured I'd throw it out there.  Here's EasyJoin's Linux site: https://easyjoin.net/linux.html

And another proprietary and closed source solution for this simple task, which needs a gigantic framework to run (mono, C#). Don't get me wrong, I like simple to use solutions. But to share my (private) data, I need a software I can trust.
You can start creating a AUR package for that. We will try our best to give you hints to make it better.

@Eschwartz: To run untrusted stuff in a clean environment (generally a good idea to test packages), you can use systemd-nspawn.

mkdir archlinux-base
pacstrap -c ./archlinux-base base --ignore linux
xhost +local:
sudo systemd-nspawn --boot --directory=archlinux-base --ephemeral --bind-ro=/my/aur/packages/:/packages --bind-ro=/tmp/.X11-unix

Board footer