You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-18 20:42:09

progandy

Re: pacman ceased to function: libpsl gone?

ngoonee wrote:
Eschwartz wrote:

This is the equivalent of doing surgery with a broadsword, then upgrading to a surgical scalpel and high-tech nanobots. wink

Cue dozens of people claiming the broadsword was easier to handle and involves less typing.

Of course. Killing the patient requires less effort than saving him.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#27 2018-03-19 00:41:39

ace_ang

Eschwartz wrote:

The next version of pacman deprecates --force and delists it from the manpages and help output, and eventually this option will be removed entirely. Keeping this in mind, you may be able to understand why I say that it is *never* the solution to anything.

I see. Are these kinds of info announced here or is there some place I'll have to follow?

If it was never a solution though, then what would I have done? How can it not be a solution when it's provided in the troubleshooting of the very problem I have?

In my case, and with confirmation that it's not another mistake, I now think I did right in using --force. If I were to scold myself, I wouldn't in my using of --force, rather in my improper use of pacman.

#28 2018-03-19 00:55:39

eschwartz
Fellow

Well, it is not official yet, because it hasn't been released. wink

Once it has been released, we can update wiki documentation, and people who use --force will see deprecation warnings. Up to now, --force has been the only thing there was, which meant the support community at large was (and is) in the unenviable position of referring to --force as the only way to achieve certain goals, while at the same time having to sprinkle disclaimers about whether or not any given problem truly merits the use of --force...

This is an obvious double standard.

"What do you mean, --force is not a good idea? The Wiki says I should use it!"
"Well, you're right but you still should not use it, because when the Wiki said you should, it didn't really *mean* you should, but rather that you have to."
"So, uh, what does this actually mean for me?"
"Nothing. Use --force anyways, but if you use it the wrong way, you'll know because your system will stop working."

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#29 2018-03-19 02:10:36

ace_ang

Ah... now that I'm reading this again, I should have done what the OP did: donwloading, unpacking, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I was too late and I don't even know how to do the third one, plus the commands he used that showed all those results. And sorry, I got fixated with --force.

I took what litte I know to find a solution. Sigh... The less I know, the more problems I'll have, the less efficient I get to handle them, but it's fine, I just need to learn them along the way. smile

#30 2018-03-19 10:51:59

PretentiousProgrammer

Hey,

I do not know if this is related.
A couple of minutes ago I ran

# sudo pacman -Syu

and after rebooting my NetworkManager.service would not come up

# sudo systemctl start NetworkManager.service

It told me that libpsl.so.6 is missing ?

# ls -lah *libpsl*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  15 Mar 14 12:51 libpsl.so -> libpsl.so.5.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  15 Mar 14 12:51 libpsl.so.5 -> libpsl.so.5.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63K Mar 14 12:51 libpsl.so.5.3.0

No libpsl.so.6 whatsoever available in /usr/lib

I fixed this by running

# ln -s /usr/lib/libpsl.so /usr/lib/libpsl.so.6

So for now it is working - still this can not be the solution right?

=> I did not run a partial update, just 'pacman -Syu' <=

When running pacman again - it says that everything is up to date.

Last edited by PretentiousProgrammer (2018-03-19 10:54:44)

#31 2018-03-19 10:56:21

Allan
Pacman
Website

network-manager did not move from [testing].  It has now - will sink to your mirror soon.

#32 2018-03-19 12:06:44

Salkay

Allan wrote:

network-manager did not move from [testing].  It has now - will sink to your mirror soon.

Was this just an error? Were both network-manager and libpsl both meant to move at the same time? I'm just trying to work out if it was an error with my mirror or something more central.

FWIW I was also bitten with this. pacman -Syu, then I rebooted into a non-networked system. I tried downgrading libpsl from my cache, but that broke pacman! Thank you PretentiousProgrammer for the symlink advice; this fixed pacman and NetworkManager for me temporarily, so I could install the new version of network-manager.

Last edited by Salkay (2018-03-19 13:11:35)

#33 2018-03-19 12:16:24

Gooler

Thanks @PretentiousProgrammer for sharing the temporal workaround. I just experienced the same issue: Upgrade system with pacman -Suy and reboot to a non-networked system showing the error message:

mar 19 13:07:28 i5-750 NetworkManager[2068]: /usr/bin/NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Creating the symbolic link allowed me to reconnect and the next pacman -Suy installed the newer NetworkManager packages.

#34 2018-03-19 12:25:04

tricorn

The latest version of libpsl (0.20.1-1) only contains libpsl.so.5.3.0; the next most recent version I have in my cache was March 14, 0.20.0-1, and it only has libpsl.so.6.2.0.  Check your cache to see if you have a version 6 library you can temporarily install.

wget still requires 5, curl and pacman require 6.

Breaking pacman is non-optimal.

#35 2018-03-19 14:31:51

jsravn

`pacman -Syu` broke NetworkManager for me as well, same issue. libpsl.so.6 missing. Seems like very bad luck, as the mirror must have been updating right when I did my update.

#36 2018-03-19 14:41:42

Scimmia
Fellow

Salkay wrote:

Thank you PretentiousProgrammer for the symlink advice; this fixed pacman and NetworkManager for me temporarily, so I could install the new version of network-manager.

Don't thank him for telling you do to an extremely stupid thing. Undo it immediately if you haven't already. It's really disturbing that people keep posting toxic garbage like this, and more people keep following it.

tricorn wrote:

This is completely and totally false. Everything requires .so.5.

Last edited by Scimmia (2018-03-19 14:42:42)

#37 2018-03-19 14:59:29

eschwartz
Fellow

NetworkManager links both to libcurl, and directly to libpsl. There is no sane way to handle that sort of mismatched libpsl other than downgrading the entire repository at once.

Even extracting the *.so.6 from the old libpsl package using bsdtar, which would normally be the safe solution to ensure that no matter which version of libpsl a binary wants it can find it, would not help when the software in question now wants both versions, and I'm pretty sure libpsl does not do symbol versioning...

#38 2018-03-19 20:30:56

Salkay

Scimmia wrote:

Don't thank him for telling you do to an extremely stupid thing. Undo it immediately if you haven't already. It's really disturbing that people keep posting toxic garbage like this, and more people keep following it.

I alluded to it in my post, but pacman was broken without this. I'll explain fully.

I upgraded the kernel (4.15.9-1 -> 4.15.10-1) and libpsl (0.20.0-1 -> 0.20.1-1). I rebooted for the sake of the kernel. NetworkManager was broken. As per journalctl:

Mar 19 22:40:48 salkay-hostname NetworkManager[530]: /usr/bin/NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libpsl.so.6 was previously provided by libpsl, but the new version only provided libpsl.so.5. I assumed it was a regression and downgraded libpsl.

# pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libpsl-0.20.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

However, now NetworkManager complained about a missing libpsl.so.5 instead:

Mar 19 22:47:45 salkay-hostname NetworkManager[5759]: /usr/bin/NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

All pacman commands now failed.

$ pacman -Ql libpsl
pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Only after symlinking libpsl.so.5 to libpsl.so could I get a working pacman again. I could then successfully pacman -Syu --force to fix my system. (The --force was necessary to replace the libpsl.so conflict).

Instead of the temporary symlink, should I have done something else to fix my system? I guess I could have manually extracted the newer libpsl, but this seemed cleaner.

#39 2018-03-19 20:39:30

eschwartz
Fellow

Yes, you should have manually extracted the newer libpsl as that is far cleaner than symlinking incompatible shared libraries.

Incompatible ABI means that the behavior is undefined. Literally anything "could" happen. The fact that it seemed to work, may mean it worked, or it may mean that it did some form of damage that did not result in visible error messages printed to the console.

Hence, don't do that.

#40 2018-03-19 20:46:16

Salkay

Eschwartz wrote:

Yes, you should have manually extracted the newer libpsl as that is far cleaner than symlinking incompatible shared libraries.

Incompatible ABI means that the behavior is undefined. Literally anything "could" happen. The fact that it seemed to work, may mean it worked, or it may mean that it did some form of damage that did not result in visible error messages printed to the console.

Hence, don't do that.

Fair enough. Thank you for the explanation. In this case NetworkManager was broken by the new libpsl, so I would have had to access the mirrors through another computer, and sneakernet the updated NetworkManager over to the broken system. (And I wasn't even sure that NewtworkManager was updated.) So this seemed the easiest solution by far at the time. I'll be more aware in the future though. Cheers.

#41 2018-03-19 20:47:23

progandy

Salkay wrote:

Instead of the temporary symlink, should I have done something else to fix my system? I guess I could have manually extracted the newer libpsl, but this seemed cleaner.

You got lucky since in this case the soname bump was an error. The developer accidentally wrote the wrong number while the ABI stayed the same.
In this case you can do a symlink, but something like that you'd have to confirm by reading the commit log of the git repository. Blindly doing a symlink is dangerous, extracting the library from the cache is the correct method.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#42 2018-03-20 07:43:20

tricorn

Scimmia wrote:
tricorn wrote:

They do NOW.  When it was broken, it was because curl was built against 6, which is why pacman and other things stopped working when libpsl changed from providing 6 to providing 5.

#43 2018-03-20 09:23:46

Scimmia
Fellow

tricorn wrote:
Scimmia wrote:
tricorn wrote:

They do NOW.  When it was broken, it was because curl was built against 6, which is why pacman and other things stopped working when libpsl changed from providing 6 to providing 5.

That was never broken. Some people did partial updates, but this thread already moved on from that.

#44 2018-03-20 09:50:31

Gigamo

Scimmia wrote:
tricorn wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

That was never broken. Some people did partial updates, but this thread already moved on from that.

I ran into this problem as well actually, and I didn't do a partial update.  Just -Syu'd at the time where the networkmanager update hadn't propagated to (at least my) mirrors yet. All is fine now though.

#45 2018-03-20 10:12:50

geekmiki

Gigamo wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

I ran into this problem as well actually, and I didn't do a partial update.  Just -Syu'd at the time where the networkmanager update hadn't propagated to (at least my) mirrors yet. All is fine now though.

Same here, never did a partial update, after -Syu yesterday pacman wasn't working because of libpsl.so.6 missing.
Symlinked libpsl.so.6 to libpsl.so to be able to use pacman and fix the problem with the new release of curl today and them deleted the symlink.

Anything else I should consider to have a clean system?

Last edited by geekmiki (2018-03-20 10:13:31)

#46 2018-03-20 10:19:57

Scimmia
Fellow

And if you notice the quotes, he wasn't talking about networkmanager. That was broken for about an hour.

#47 2018-03-20 10:24:32

geekmiki

Scimmia wrote:

And if you notice the quotes, he wasn't talking about networkmanager. That was broken for about an hour.

I don't have networkmanager on my system and I guess the libpsl problem in my case was related to curl. I updated curl to 7.59.0-2 thi smorning and it seemed to solve the problem.

#48 2018-03-20 10:26:48

Scimmia
Fellow

Then you did a partial update

#49 2018-03-20 10:27:24

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I think this thread has run its course. Closing.

Royb, I'm assuming you resolved your problem, but if not, please file a report to have the topic reopened.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer