You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-19 12:41:52

bmb

staging repo (and clang 6)

When I search for clang in the packages website ( https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged= ) it lists two packages: clang 5.0.1 in the "extra" repo, and clang 6.0.0 in the "staging" repo.
  1. Why isn't clang 6 in the regular repo so that I will get it with "pacman -Syu"? It has been officially released
  2. What is the "staging" repo? There is no such repo in the list on the package search search page.

#2 2018-03-19 12:48:23

progandy

Re: staging repo (and clang 6)

As far as I know, staging is used when a package update requires the rebuild of other packages. Then all packages will be built and collected into staging and when everything is ready it gets moved to public repositories in one go.

You probably don't want to use it as it may will leave your system with broken dependencies until everything is ready.

Edit: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111942
Edit: Current state of llvm 6/clang 6 https://www.archlinux.org/todo/llvm-60/

Last edited by progandy (2018-03-19 13:27:41)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2018-03-19 13:14:24

eschwartz
Fellow

There is no "may" about it. If you install clang without updating many other packages, then  everyone who has the clang 5.x version of those packages *will* have broken systems.

Wishing clang 6 upon us without waiting for it to be ready is a pretty nasty sort of cruelty, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. wink

The staging repo is not listed because in literally every possible circumstance other than "I'm using a special development chroot to finish these soname rebuilds", using staging is a terrible, counterproductive idea. This is not like testing, which is where stuff that probably works but we need to "test" it goes. Staging is where we put stuff that we know 100% is badly broken, because it is full of half-completed packages and broken binaries that link to nonexistent shared libraries.

I mean, think about it. If we thought it might work, it would probably be in testing instead... right? Why have two sets of repos for the same thing, if not for the fact that they're not actually the same thing?

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-03-19 13:21:09)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2018-03-19 17:03:46

eschwartz
Fellow

BTW I've added a section on what the staging repositories do, to the Wiki at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php?ti … did=512432

Hopefully this clears things up.

#5 2018-03-20 07:33:03

bmb

Eschwartz wrote:

There is no "may" about it. If you install clang without updating many other packages, then  everyone who has the clang 5.x version of those packages *will* have broken systems.

Wishing clang 6 upon us without waiting for it to be ready is a pretty nasty sort of cruelty, I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. wink

The staging repo is not listed because in literally every possible circumstance other than "I'm using a special development chroot to finish these soname rebuilds", using staging is a terrible, counterproductive idea. This is not like testing, which is where stuff that probably works but we need to "test" it goes. Staging is where we put stuff that we know 100% is badly broken, because it is full of half-completed packages and broken binaries that link to nonexistent shared libraries.

I mean, think about it. If we thought it might work, it would probably be in testing instead... right? Why have two sets of repos for the same thing, if not for the fact that they're not actually the same thing?

Then maybe it should not be listed in the search results on the website as that is only confusing

#6 2018-03-20 10:38:52

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

If it wasn't listed in the package results, then there'd be no sign that the Arch devs are working on updating the package at all (unless there's a todo list, but not everyone knows to check that). We get enough topics asking why version X of package Y isn't in the repositories yet as it is (see #6 of this sticky). At least if you can see it is in staging, you can see that there is progress being made, and if you don't know what staging is, then you can find out (you did, congratulations! tongue)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#7 2018-03-20 13:46:27

eschwartz
Fellow

I'd also like to point out that the staging repos are only listed in the package results if you are logged into archweb, requires that you either be a staff member or have a tester account for package signoffs. I was confused when I saw it as I did not remember it always being there, but Bluewind pointed out on IRC that that happens because I'm logged in, and sure enough there are no staging repos listed when I log out. smile

EDIT: Sorry, my bad -- the repo is indeed listed in package search results even for logged-out users who cannot filter based on those repos.
EDIT2: Yes, this is confirmed a bug and we're going to fix it so you don't see that anymore. Thanks! big_smile

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-03-20 13:52:15)

Board footer