You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-08 16:08:09

MaikoID

X freeze/delay when multimedia keys are pressed

Hi guys, I’m trying an Arch distribution for the first time but I have more than 9 years beeing a Ubuntu user, home and professionally.

I’ve this strange problem that I believe is kernel related when I use one of my multimedia keys from my keyboard the respective “widget” only appears after a 3s delay and sometimes if I’m unlucky it freezes the X entirely. I’ve stopped using Unity on Ubuntu 17.04 and replaced it with Gnome where the problem begins to manifest (all ubuntus prior the 17.04 I didn’t had this issue so I guess is another evidence from a kernel problem).
To summaryze in Ubuntu 17.04 + Gnome I had this same problem but my X didn’t freeze even once.

I migrate head first in the Arch world and now I need some help with this problem. This is my setup:

Laptop Dell Inspiron
    Keyboard Coolmasters TK (mechanical)

The problem arise without my gaming keyboard so I guess is not related to this topic (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … ickFire_TK)

my logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-PynW … sp=sharing

The X freeze only happens when I’m changing the brightness, so maybe is another problem because the journal has these lines:
mai 07 10:00:24 inspiron-arch systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:intel_backlight…
mai 07 10:00:24 inspiron-arch systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of leds:dell::kbd_backlight…

Maybe there are two modules handling the brightness request? If so how can I remove one ?

Update 1:
Definitely there is a multimedia keys problem too because I've changed the sound shortcuts to ctrl+shift+page up/down instead of the default multimedia keys and the X delays didn't manifest even once. Changing it back to default makes the delay problem starts to happen again.

BR and thx

Last edited by MaikoID (2017-05-09 13:06:33)

#2 2017-05-09 07:18:11

Docbroke

Re: X freeze/delay when multimedia keys are pressed

What happen when you run same commands from terminal inplace of using multimedia keys?

#3 2017-05-09 07:28:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please edit your thread title and choose a title that accurately reflects your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2017-05-09 13:08:16

MaikoID

Docbroke wrote:

What happen when you run same commands from terminal inplace of using multimedia keys?

I can  change the configuration through xbacklight just fine.
➜  ~ xbacklight -set 10
➜  ~ xbacklight -set 100

Update 1  + this answer = I guess is only a multimedia key problem.

jasonwryan wrote:

Please edit your thread title and choose a title that accurately reflects your issue: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Done.

Last edited by MaikoID (2017-05-09 13:08:58)

#5 2017-05-10 02:26:13

Docbroke

Commands run by pressing your multimedia keys appears to be wrong. I am not familiar with unity, but what you need to do is change that command.

#6 2017-05-10 19:20:40

MaikoID

Docbroke wrote:

Commands run by pressing your multimedia keys appears to be wrong. I am not familiar with unity, but what you need to do is change that command.

I'm using gnome 3.24 not Unity.

I've no idea what command the gnome calls when I press the brightness or sound multimedia key, the keyboard shortcuts settings from gnome describe the "Volume Down" option as "Audio lower volume". and there is any kind of option for brightness.

BR

#7 2018-03-27 02:50:52

shemux

How did u fix the problem I think I have the same problem with multimedia keys

#8 2018-03-27 03:27:13

circleface

Please do not bump old threads.  If you still have this issue, please create a new thread and describe the problem you are having.

#9 2018-03-27 03:31:20

ewaller
Administrator

circleface wrote:

Please do not bump old threads.  If you still have this issue, please create a new thread and describe the problem you are having.

Indeed.  Closing.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer