You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-25 19:10:43

twentyseven

Changing Mouse Sensitivity

I would like to increase my mouse sensitivity without turning on acceleration. My DE is cinnamon.

To turn off acceleration I have pasted the following into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier "My Mouse"
    MatchIsPointer "yes"
    Option "AccelerationProfile" "-1"
    Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
    Option "AccelSpeed" "-1"
EndSection

This makes sure that no matter how fast I am dragging my mouse, the same distance on my mousepad will drag the pointer the same distance across my screen.

However, the pointer speed is now extremely slow. The GUI tool for changing sensitivity that cinnamon has does not change the sensitivity at all. All of the posts I have seen online have said to increase acceleration--however, I would like to keep acceleration off. Any help is appreciated.

#2 2018-03-26 07:56:02

seth

Re: Changing Mouse Sensitivity

Since you cannot simply jump pixels (unconditionally, ultimately that's what acceleration does, but motion time based) you've to actually raise the HW sensitivity, ie. make the mouse produce more finegrained events.
Whether that's possible at all depends ony our mouse, eg. for logitech devices use https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lomoco/

#3 2018-03-27 19:35:40

MrLinuxFish

Re: Changing Mouse Sensitivity

You probably want to change the coordinate transformation matrix.

This will give you a list of all the devices plugged in to your computer

xinput list

This command will adjust the sensitivity and acceleration of your mouse.

xinput set-prop [Device] "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" [X-acceleration] 0 0 0 [Y-acceleration] 0 0 0 [Sensitivity]

In the transformation matrix, the default values for X-acceleration, Y-acceleration, and Sensitivity are 1. If you change the values of these numbers to be smaller, you will get more acceleration or sensitivity depending on which one you change.

Here is an example of the startup script I have for my trackball. I have it optimized for low sensitivity with a lot of acceleration, but you should be able to easily change it to 0 acceleration and higher sensitivity.
To adjust this code to pick up the model of mouse you have, all you will have to do is change the script where it says "ELECOM" to a unique identifier of your mouse and change the options set with xinput.

#!/bin/sh

Mouse=`xinput list |grep -i ELECOM | awk -F= '{ print $2}'| awk '{print $1}'| awk 'BEGIN{ RS = "" ; FS = "\n" }{print $1}'`

xinput set-prop $Mouse "libinput Middle Emulation Enabled" 1
xinput set-prop $Mouse "libinput Scroll Method Enabled" 0, 0, 1
xinput set-prop $Mouse "libinput Accel Speed" .8
xinput set-prop $Mouse "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" .6 0 0 0 .6 0 0 0 2.5

Board footer