You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-14 16:08:34

catnap

[WORKAROUND] How to repair a corrupted Bazaar repository?

Recently, I have been unable to use my Bazaar repository. It seems that the repository has become corrupted because Bazaar fails critically every time that I attempt a simple status check or some other operation. It seems that the issue is not in the program itself because the program seems to handle other repositories easily. Also, if I try to use the repository remotely from another computer, I encounter the same issue. The failure report is listed in Launchpad, https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/1746994.

Is there a way to revert the repository into some earlier state that could work better?

Last edited by catnap (2018-05-04 11:16:05)

#2 2018-03-22 08:59:34

catnap

Re: [WORKAROUND] How to repair a corrupted Bazaar repository?

In launchpad.net, I mention the program SSHFS as a possible culprit for the fatal error. However, it seems that Bazaar manual has instructions about using this program so that if the operation was very unsafe, this would probably have been mentioned in the manual. It could be merely coincidental that the repository was corrupted when I was using SSHFS.

I'm considering to manually delete some of the files in the repository inside .bzr folder because this should not affect the working tree and the repository does not work in any case. Could you give any advice on what parts of the repository I should delete?

#3 2018-03-22 19:09:25

eschwartz
Fellow

Well, I suppose you *could* just delete everything and start fresh (or with an uncorrupted copy of the repo from another computer). Although you could also just backup the whole folder and use an uncorrupted copy, then delete it once you confirm you have all the necessary revisions from the other copy. Which I think is a bit safer. wink

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2018-03-24 08:11:15

catnap

Eschwartz wrote:

Well, I suppose you *could* just delete everything and start fresh (or with an uncorrupted copy of the repo from another computer)

I'm seriously considering this because my files have been without a proper version control for some time now. I have also considered another meta-level in version control. Perhaps, I could try to version control my Bazaar repository .bzr with Git, so that I can always revert a repository if it gets corrupted.

#5 2018-03-29 15:59:54

catnap

The solution does not really solve the underlying problem with the Bazaar repository but it is a good workaround. The repository that I retrieved from a backup copy seems to be working nicely. I'm closing the thread.

Last edited by catnap (2018-03-29 16:00:48)

#6 2018-03-29 16:12:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please use [SOLVED] or [WORKAROUND] or similar, as [CLOSED] denotes a thread closed by a moderator.

Board footer