You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-29 19:38:17

Annoyingduck

Re: [Request] Sendanywhere Maintainer Needed, Package No Longer Builds

@aaronmueller what's your preferred way for wireless Linux to Android transfers? So far I'm feeling secure using Solid Explorer with the FTP plugin on Android and FileZilla on my desktop.  And it's pretty easy to set up and FileZilla keeps your connected addresses saved so you don't have to type out the connection address each time you want to transfer something.  I've been accustomed to using programs like Superbeam and SendAnywhere, while FTP is relatively new to me. I'm more than OK with dropping use of all these 3rd party programs and learning the "proper" way to wirelessly transfer.  I'm certainly curious as to what you prefer that's easy to setup between multiple computers and multiple Androids.

#27 2018-03-29 20:42:16

aaronmueller
Website

Annoyingduck wrote:

@aaronmueller what's your preferred way for wireless Linux to Android transfers? So far I'm feeling secure using Solid Explorer with the FTP plugin on Android and FileZilla on my desktop.  And it's pretty easy to set up and FileZilla keeps your connected addresses saved so you don't have to type out the connection address each time you want to transfer something.  I've been accustomed to using programs like Superbeam and SendAnywhere, while FTP is relatively new to me. I'm more than OK with dropping use of all these 3rd party programs and learning the "proper" way to wirelessly transfer.  I'm certainly curious as to what you prefer that's easy to setup between multiple computers and multiple Androids.

I personally use syncthing to sync my data between devices. If I took a photo with my phone, it will automatically sync with all the devices it can connect to. If I change a password in my password manager, it will automatically sync with my phone. Same goes with my org-files: When I edit my org-mode files on my desktop with emacs, it will automatically sync with my todo app on android (orgzly). So I dont event think about syncing data, it just happens smile The rest of my "data" is either stored on my NAS for archive/backup reasons at home or in a git repository in my gitea installation. Maybe I am a little picky about my choices, but I want to own my data and I want to know who can access it.

#28 2018-03-29 22:03:59

Annoyingduck

aaronmueller wrote:
Annoyingduck wrote:

I personally use syncthing to sync my data between devices. If I took a photo with my phone, it will automatically sync with all the devices it can connect to. If I change a password in my password manager, it will automatically sync with my phone. Same goes with my org-files: When I edit my org-mode files on my desktop with emacs, it will automatically sync with my todo app on android (orgzly). So I dont event think about syncing data, it just happens smile The rest of my "data" is either stored on my NAS for archive/backup reasons at home or in a git repository in my gitea installation. Maybe I am a little picky about my choices, but I want to own my data and I want to know who can access it.

I live by Syncthing for eliminating a service like Dropbox.  It's great, but not Ideal for what I would use a program like SendAnywhere for.  Basically instant file transfers without having to connect my phone via usb with folders that aren't set up to sync.  Do you think sticking with the FTP method is the best/most private/simplest for what I'm doing or should I look into something like Samba (which I have zero experience with)?

#29 2018-03-29 22:55:07

eschwartz
Fellow

aaronmueller wrote:

@Eschwartz: To run untrusted stuff in a clean environment (generally a good idea to test packages), you can use systemd-nspawn.

mkdir archlinux-base
pacstrap -c ./archlinux-base base --ignore linux
xhost +local:
sudo systemd-nspawn --boot --directory=archlinux-base --ephemeral --bind-ro=/my/aur/packages/:/packages --bind-ro=/tmp/.X11-unix

I do that very often for isolated testing of software, generally entering the same devtools chroot I built the package in. For packages which I trust, but don't wish to leave their mark on my system.

But nspawn containers are not actually a secure virtualization technology...

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#30 2018-03-30 11:25:21

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Do you think sticking with the FTP method is the best/most private/simplest for what I'm doing or should I look into something like Samba (which I have zero experience with)?

FTP has many benefits but also a  huge problem : everything is transferred in plain text.
Whether that matters depends on the content.

SFTP otoh makes sure everything transferred is properly encrypted using ssh .

Samba : if you want things to stay private, don't use it.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#31 2018-03-30 12:42:53

progandy

I'd recommend SFTP as well.
Another option may be nitroshare (in the AUR). https://f-droid.org/packages/net.nitroshare.android/
If you are a KDE user, then kdeconnect ([community]) may work: https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.kde.kdeconnect_tp/

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer