You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-01 10:20:44

nenoro

Arch iso archive

heya guys

i don't know if i should put this post here or on arch discussion but i have a question about the arch's iso.

Since the devs decided to update the kernel to an "unstable" kernel (yeah for me 4.15.x isn't stable) i wanted to try a move.

the process will be > go Arch Iso archive download the latest iso with kernel 4.9, then during the installation i add "IgnorePkg   = linux" and launch pacstrap /mnt base base-devel.

at this moment i don't know if pacstrap will download the latest or the current kernel from the iso.

So before doing this i'm asking you if this manipulation will work or not ?

#2 2018-04-01 10:33:11

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Arch iso archive

nenoro wrote:

Since the devs decided to update the kernel to an "unstable" kernel (yeah for me 4.15.x isn't stable) i wanted to try a move.

No, the current "unstable" kernel is 4.16.x series (although that may change later today if Linus releases 4.16.0 or wants an RC8 first).  The 4.15.x series is a stable kernel (see kernel.org).

nenoro wrote:

the process will be > go Arch Iso archive download the latest iso with kernel 4.9, then during the installation i add "IgnorePkg   = linux" and launch pacstrap /mnt base base-devel. at this moment i don't know if pacstrap will download the latest or the current kernel from the iso.

So before doing this i'm asking you if this manipulation will work or not ?

No, it will not work... the ISO is just a bootable live environment.  The server pacman is contacting dictates what version of packages you pull down.  If you truly believe that the 4.15.x series is unstable, try linux-lts which is currently the 4.14.x series.  You will not need to "reinstall" Arch to do this.  If you really, REALLY want the 4.9.x series, a quick search in the AUR gives: linux-lts49.

If you need a iso with the 4.9.x series kernel, that's entirely something else.  I don't know if isos are archived in any systematic way.  I would ask you: why do you need the 4.9.x series kernel and go from there...

Last edited by graysky (2018-04-01 10:43:29)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2018-04-01 10:49:36

nenoro

Re: Arch iso archive

I would ask you: why do you need the 4.9.x series kernel and go from there..

Well i like 4.9 more than the next one that's a feeling

but thanks you answer to my principal question smile

Last edited by nenoro (2018-04-01 10:49:58)

Board footer