You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-31 01:56:26

sadboi389

Media buttons don't work anymore

So I'm using gnome and updated 2 days ago to the new gnome 3.28. Since then, my media buttons don't work anymore.
My headset has them (next track, previous track, play/pause) and so does my keyboard. Both stopped working.
Can't find anything about that on the internet that's recent.
I tried re-setting the shortcuts in settings -> keyboard -> shortcuts but that had no effect. `xev` does grab the keys, so does the shortcut application.

Interesting thing is: I tried setting the shortcut for Play/Pause to Super+Y, it still doesn't work. Tried with VLC, totem and rhythmbox.
I'm guessing from that that the issue is neither in the buttons nor in the shortcut/media button handler but rather in the API or interface or whatever that "catches" those Xf86Media events (I think that's what they were called? Not sure).

What can I do to dig further into this, find the exact cause and eventually fix the problem?

(Newest arch linux, packages all up-to-date, 64-bit, gnome-shell 3.28)

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-03-31 07:33:34)

#2 2018-03-31 07:24:13

seth

Re: Media buttons don't work anymore

the new gnome 3.18

Newest arch linux [...] gnome-shell 3.18

Gnome is at 3.28, so if you're at 3.18, sth. is seriously broken or you're not using archlinux or bound in some crappy repo.

#3 2018-03-31 07:33:23

sadboi389

seth wrote:

the new gnome 3.18

Newest arch linux [...] gnome-shell 3.18

Gnome is at 3.28, so if you're at 3.18, sth. is seriously broken or you're not using archlinux or bound in some crappy repo.

I'm sorry, that was a typo. It's 3.28. Edited the OP.

$ gnome-shell --version
GNOME Shell 3.28.0

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-03-31 07:36:49)

#4 2018-03-31 12:44:32

seth

Please ensure that it's actually an xorg session (and try your session dbus on the fly):

loginctl session-status

From the config description (and assuming the keys work as indicated by xev), this sounds like a global shortcut to fire mpris signals via dbus, so you should check the journal for errors itr (dbus registration and mpris events)

#5 2018-03-31 13:57:47

sadboi389

seth wrote:

Please ensure that it's actually an xorg session (and try your session dbus on the fly):

loginctl session-status

From the config description (and assuming the keys work as indicated by xev), this sounds like a global shortcut to fire mpris signals via dbus, so you should check the journal for errors itr (dbus registration and mpris events)

Thanks for the help. It is an xorg session (the only one on the machine), never used wayland. The volume keys work btw., so do other "special" keyboard "Fn"-keys (e.g. the calculator shortcut or the standby key).

In the Journal (under the important tab) I find a "No irq handler for vector" error, no clue what that means. It doesn't get fired everytime I hit the buttons though, looks like it only appeared at the boot/start.

Under the all tab, looking for "dbus" in fact is an error that looks related:

Receiver error from DBus search provider seahorse.desktop: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Timeout was reached
Error calling method GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox was not provided by any .service files

Im not 100% sure if this is directly related though because it's not just rhythmbox that's affected and seahorse shouldn't have something to do with this. But everytime I hit the media buttons the second error appears in the log.
I tried to send the signals to totem (rhythmbox closed), got the same error again (still saying rhythmbox).

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-03-31 13:58:40)

#6 2018-03-31 14:08:12

seth

Try to run "dbus-monitor" to see what's going on (and whether your dbus session server actually responds)

#7 2018-03-31 15:26:53

sadboi389

seth wrote:

Try to run "dbus-monitor" to see what's going on (and whether your dbus session server actually responds)

method call time=1522509722.542797 sender=:1.69 -> destination=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox serial=1652 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=PlayPause
error time=1522509722.542807 sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> destination=:1.69 error_name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown reply_serial=1652
   string "The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox was not provided by any .service files"
signal time=1522509722.817128 sender=:1.21324 -> destination=(null destination) serial=134962 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=Seeked
   int64 0
signal time=1522509723.280708 sender=:1.21324 -> destination=(null destination) serial=134963 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=Seeked
   int64 0

The

signal time=1522509723.280708 sender=:1.21324 -> destination=(null destination) serial=134963 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=Seeked
   int64 0

is showing up constantly even if I do nothing, like 2-5 times a second.

#8 2018-03-31 16:25:47

seth

Whatever you configured seems to *only* control rhytmbox, at least it doesn't send any other event.
Start rhythmbox and see whether it reacts, if not, inspect the dbus tree on whether it provides the org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox service (afaiu this is done through a plugin)

#9 2018-04-01 04:18:56

sadboi389

seth wrote:

Whatever you configured seems to *only* control rhytmbox, at least it doesn't send any other event.
Start rhythmbox and see whether it reacts, if not, inspect the dbus tree on whether it provides the org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox service (afaiu this is done through a plugin)

Now that is weird. It works with rhythmbox again. It did not before, I tested it. But since I re-assigned the shortcuts I didn't test with rhythmbox, so maybe that partly fixed it? (Because for others, this issue was fixed by re-assigning shortcuts)

It still doesn't work with any other application though. I have no configured anything. These buttons have always worked out-of-the-box on a fresh arch + gnome install without any sort of driver or configuration.

Rhythmbox does handle dbus signals using the "MPRIS D-Bus Interface" plugin. I disabled that plugin and it doesn't work in rhythmbox anymore, neither does it anywhere else. The error I'm getting in the journal is still the same.

I have again tried to set the shortcut for "play/pause" (in settings -> keyboard) to SUPER+Y, opened totem, hit that shortcut, nothing happens. Jounal still says the same error.

There are also a bunch of these ones:

Couldn't register with the accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply.

Could this be related? The error pops up everytime I open a gnome application.

#10 2018-04-02 13:14:27

seth

I have no configured anything.

Of course you did - you're setting this shortcut somewhere. Maybe elaboate on what "settings -> keyboard" and shortcut that is in particular.

It still doesn't work with any other application though.

It won't - the dbus monitor run pointed out that whatever shortcut that is, it *only* tries to control the rhythmbox mpris interface.

The at-spi "error" is unrelated, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1438842

#11 2018-04-03 02:03:37

sadboi389

seth wrote:

Of course you did - you're setting this shortcut somewhere. Maybe elaboate on what "settings -> keyboard" and shortcut that is in particular.

In the first place? No, I haven't done anything even remotely related to that. On a completely fresh arch + gnome install, this works out of the box with any application (rhythmbox and totem come with gnome, but also works with apps later installed). I never had to set any shortcut or anything. I just tried re-setting it during troubleshooting but I removed that again, currently everything related to this is default and how it ships with a fresh gnome install.

seth wrote:

It won't - the dbus monitor run pointed out that whatever shortcut that is, it *only* tries to control the rhythmbox mpris interface.

The at-spi "error" is unrelated, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1438842

Any clue on how I can change that? It makes no sense to me. Under keyboard -> Shortcuts, there is a default gnome shortcut (not user made, can't delete it completely) that says "Audio Play/Pause". When I set this to anything (e.g. super+y) it does only work in rhythmbox, even though it's the general audio play/pause shortcut.

Using dbus-monitor, I just got this when I pressed the play button whlie rhythmbox was running:

signal time=1522720851.224857 sender=:1.58320 -> destination=(null destination) serial=1321 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties; member=PropertiesChanged
   string "org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player"
   array [
      dict entry(
         string "PlaybackStatus"
         variant             string "Playing"
      )
   ]
   array [
   ]

And this when totem instead of rhythmbox is running:

method call time=1522720913.132064 sender=:1.69 -> destination=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox serial=2962 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=PlayPause
error time=1522720913.132077 sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> destination=:1.69 error_name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown reply_serial=2962
   string "The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox was not provided by any .service files"

It makes no sense to me. This was NEVER the behaviour. I'm using arch and gnome since 3 years now and it's always been working out of the box with any application, I never configured this shortcut or anything. Since the update to 3.28 it seems to only work with rhythmbox, I haven't made any change other than the update at that point.

#12 2018-04-03 17:11:04

seth

even though it's the general audio play/pause shortcut.

Well, apparently not.
There's either a bug in gnome or you're editing the wrong shortcut, but that shortcut is assigned to an action that tries to remote-control rhythmbox and rhythmbox only.
"PlaybackStatus" is a signal send *by* the player (in this case apparently rhythmbox)

Can you remote control eg. vlc via MPRIS?
See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VL … eys_or_cli
(Of course vlc must be running for this)

#13 2018-04-03 17:43:29

sadboi389

seth wrote:

even though it's the general audio play/pause shortcut.

Well, apparently not.
There's either a bug in gnome or you're editing the wrong shortcut, but that shortcut is assigned to an action that tries to remote-control rhythmbox and rhythmbox only.
"PlaybackStatus" is a signal send *by* the player (in this case apparently rhythmbox)

Can you remote control eg. vlc via MPRIS?
See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VL … eys_or_cli
(Of course vlc must be running for this)

I promise you, I did not do anything. The default behaviour right from a fresh install has always been: Those keys work. In any application. VLC, totem, rhythmbox. All of those and probably more.

Running

dbus-send --print-reply --session --dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2 org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player.PlayPause

does play/pause the video playing in VLC media player.

Since this happened right after the upgrade, I'm guessing it is indeed a bug in gnome or mpris or anything that got upgraded along with the last -Syu.

Btw., if it's any help. The default gnome behaviour was to send those media commands always to the app that has focus last. E.g. when running VLC and Totem at the same time but Totem was in focus last, the media commands will be send to Totem and vice versa.

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-04-03 17:48:00)

#14 2018-04-08 23:57:40

sadboi389

SInce the latest -Syu (today), the commands are being send only to VLC. Not rhythmbox at all anymore. Is gnome making fun of me? (If I close VLC, it's being send to rhythmbox. But this is not desired behavior. It's been for years: the app that's last on focus gets the command. This is what I want again.)

Please help me im actually crying lol

dbus-monitor:

method call time=1523231889.534394 sender=:1.53 -> destination=:1.574 serial=313 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=PlayPause

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-04-08 23:58:48)

#15 2018-04-09 06:28:38

seth

And did you get an update for gnome, vlc or both? Does gnome now prefer other MPRIS players over rhythmbox as well?
If the erratic behavior changes consistently w/ updates, this certainly sounds a bug (likely in detecting which player to address)

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc

#16 2018-04-09 12:24:46

sadboi389

seth wrote:

And did you get an update for gnome, vlc or both?

libusb, accountsserive, cpupower, ency, fuse-common, libdazzle, libmm-glib, libuv, libxnvctrl, lsof, mkinitcpio-busybox, nano, npm, nvidia-settings, openssh, pyqt5-common, re2, ruby, s-nail, sdl2, alsa-plugins, archlinux-keyring, pcre, glib2, avahi, bluez, bluez-libs, bluez-utils, sqlite, cups-filters, gdk-pixbuf2, perl-timedate, perl-mailtools, git, iproute2, lib32-alsa-plugins, mesa, lib32-mesa, neon, pango, libreoffice-fresh, libsecret, linux, man-da, nodejs, nvidia, ruby-rdoc, ruby-sass, sed, virtualbox-host-modules-arch, zstd.

I have no clue that's related to this, but since updating those and doing nothing else on any configuration, the command is not exclusively sent to rhythmbox anymore but instead of the app that was opened first.

seth wrote:

Does gnome now prefer other MPRIS players over rhythmbox as well?

Having just opened totem (with VLC and rhythmbox already opened), the media commands are being sent to rhythmbox, even when totem has focus. Rhythmbox was opened first. Closing rhythmbox, the commands are now being sent to VLC (the application opened send). Closing VLC too, the commands are not being send to totem. I don't know why. dbus-monitor with everything but totem closed:

method call time=1523276608.015318 sender=:1.53 -> destination=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc serial=768 path=/org/mpris/MediaPlayer2; interface=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Player; member=PlayPause
error time=1523276608.015354 sender=org.freedesktop.DBus -> destination=:1.53 error_name=org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown reply_serial=768
   string "The name org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.vlc was not provided by any .service files"

There was no update in either VLC or rhythmbox though.

EDIT: Lol, i just opened rhythmbox again (VLC still closed) and it's not getting any media commands again. dbus-monitor shows the same as above. sigh

#17 2018-04-09 12:27:22

sadboi389

EDIT2: When I first open rhythmbox, then VLC, then close VLC - The media commands are being sent to rhythmbox. After then closing rhythmbox (totem opened the entire time) totem still get's nothing, and the dbus-monitor reports the same error as above (looking for VLC, even though the last opened application was rhythmbox and it worked and VLC was closed since then entirely). Definitely sounds like a bug to me.

(sorry, accidentally hit quote instead of edit in the post above)

Last edited by sadboi389 (2018-04-09 12:27:55)

#18 2018-04-21 00:01:27

sadboi389

Still the same behaviour. I guess this was a bug at first, and now it's actually the desired (of the gnome devs) behaviour that the first opened application will always get all media signals. How would I go on to manually change that so I get the previous behaviour again? (App that's been on focus last gets the media signals)

#19 2018-04-21 11:52:40

seth

You cannot magically make a process act differently - w/o oc. altering the code.
There may be a config switch but I very much doubt so because
a) it's gnome
b) the behavior is nuts. it's a bug.

#20 2018-04-23 20:07:28

sadboi389

seth wrote:

You cannot magically make a process act differently - w/o oc. altering the code.
There may be a config switch but I very much doubt so because
a) it's gnome
b) the behavior is nuts. it's a bug.

I tried to submit a bug report but I can't get past the "choose a product on which to report a bug" selection screen because none of the hundreds of products really match. The only media-related stuff is GStreamer but I don't think that is correct. There doesn't seem to be a  generic "gnome-shell" product or something like that. Where would I report the bug?

#21 2018-04-23 20:15:57

seth

Searched the bugzilla for "MPRIS" and came up w/ https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777913 and from there https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758302
Though this is probbly not your bug (date, description), the categories seem to match your situation.

#22 2018-04-24 04:29:46

sadboi389

seth wrote:

Searched the bugzilla for "MPRIS" and came up w/ https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777913 and from there https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758302
Though this is probbly not your bug (date, description), the categories seem to match your situation.

I feel really stupid, but, the "gnome-shell" category doesn't seem to be able for selection for me. I see others using it all the time but when I go to open a new bug and select "all" in the product parent category screen I get all the products shown but a CTRL+F search for "gnome-shell" has no results. It's just not there.

#23 2018-04-24 18:29:10

Atari

Hi there,

It's a been several months (maybe years?) I'm experiencing that the media keys (play/stop/next/previous) stop working after a bit the computer has been started. I'm using the keys with Clementine to resume or change the tracks being played. They are initially recognised and trigger the associated actions, but say after 30 mins or few hours, they become completely ignored, until the next reboot. The volume knob keeps working though. These extra media keys are integrated in my keyboard. I assume the keyboard is not broken because the same keys work flawlessly on Windows.

Any idea what could be the cause or how to debug this issue?  This is an AMD x64 arch box regularly updated, using Gnome 3 + Clementine.

Thanks,
Dean

#24 2018-04-24 18:33:17

seth

#25 2018-04-24 19:10:28

Atari

Thanks for the quick reply.

I seem to be affected by the same behaviour pointed in the other thread. The signals are sent to the application that it has been opened at the latest. In my case, they were sent to evince, the current document I have been reading:

# dbus-monitor
signal time=1524596462.349923 sender=:1.49 -> destination=:1.217 serial=259 path=/org/gnome/SettingsDaemon/MediaKeys; interface=org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys; member=MediaPlayerKeyPressed
   string "Evince"
   string "Play"

Stopping & restarting Clementine re-routes the keys back to the music player, until some other application gets priority.

Atari

EDIT: actually it's not clear which application takes priority, now it seems to prefer evince anyway, whether it was the first or last program to be opened.

Last edited by Atari (2018-04-24 19:13:28)

Board footer