You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 01:26:19

Orkan

Notebook shuts down if HDMI is not connected

Hello, I have an Acer Aspire E5-574 that shuts down while booting if HDMI is not connected, if HDMI is connected and it finishes booting it will also shutdown anytime I remove the HDMI cable.

I know it is not a hardware (only) problem because I can boot and use another Arch installation I have on my usb. One thing that happens though is if I try to boot normally from my system and it fails, the first time I try to boot from usb will fail similarly while booting but the second time it goes all the way and boots.

I don't know exactly when this issue started because I use HDMI a lot but if I remember correctly it was after updating to 4.15.X kernel
Plugging the HDMI off while the system was running resulted in a shutdown but no real logs about it on journal.
Turning on without HDMI resulted in the system shutting down with:

systemd[1]: Started udev Coldplug all Devices.
systemd-journald[331]: Time spent on flushing to /var is 153.059ms for 721 entries.

as the last lines in journal, using dmesg I also couldn't find any logs related to it shutting down

I have tried a lot of boot/acpi/video related fixes I found here without success.
I've tried to enable early/late KMS and to disable it. I've tried video=SVIDEO-1:d, acpi=off, and other related kernel parameters.

Can someone direct me to a log or command/option/etc to use and get more information about what is happening and how to solve it?
If it really is kernel related I would like to try to track it down and maybe patch it.

#2 2018-04-03 12:01:30

jmarin217

Re: Notebook shuts down if HDMI is not connected

Is the internal display disconnected from the motherboard? Some machines won't boot headless.

Board footer