You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-04 10:25:48

Plaristote

[SOLVED] No sound with pulseaudio after reboot

I booted my machine this morning, and I suddenly don't have sound anymore. I am no expert, but from what I can tell, everything seems to work fine, except for the lack of sound coming out of my laptop.

I often use `pavucontrol` to switch from the regular output to the HDMI one. I did do that yesterday (and I could still play sound after unplugging).
From the `pavucontrol` interface, everything seems fine. The volume indicators do react to the sound that should be playing, but nothing can be heard from the laptop.
Just in case, I tried all the devices available in the `configuration` panel : nothing works.

I stopped pulseaudio using `systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket`, to try and fallback to alsa. And to my great delight, alsa still does work !

I remove the `~/.config/pulse` folder, before restarting the service, to no avail.

Considering it isn't my first reboot since the last software updates, I doubt the issue would've been caused by an update.
I also checked if headphones worked : they don't either.

Any suggestions what to do next ?

EDIT:
I added my user to the `audio` group, just in case. Seems like it worked.
The wiki says that I shouldn't need this (and I didn't before) unless the machine was running "headless", with no active user. I'm still not sure why I'm affected by this (if that was indeed the issue).

Last edited by Plaristote (2018-04-04 10:31:28)

#2 2018-04-04 11:51:05

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] No sound with pulseaudio after reboot

You really shouldn't need this, more likely issue that something is occupying the device and you just forcibly overrule that decision via the audio group. Likely candidates are mididaemons and similar, check the output of

sudo fuser -v /dev/snd/*

Board footer