You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-09 19:46:27

arvind

[Resolved] Casting from Chromium suddenly stopped working

I have a Google Chromecast connected to my TV. I used to be able to cast from Chromium: I disabled "Cast Streaming hardware video encoding" as mentioned on https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235077 and it all worked like a charm.

I just noticed that suddenly it doesn't anymore. I don't see the cast icon in the youtube and netflix players anymore. Choosing "Cast..." from the Chromium menu opens the cast dialog, but it says "No devices found". I don't know exactly when this broke.

The weird thing is, the chromecast works fine from my girlfriend's laptop, and I can cast from my android phone. I have pulseaudio-dlna installed (I also have a chromecast audio) and when I start that, it finds my chromecast. I can also cast from mkchromecast. So I conclude that the chromecast device itself works, and that it can be accessed from my computer. So I guess there is something wrong with chromium.

I am currently using Chromium 65.0.3325.181-6, the newest version available. All other packages are up to date. I removed ~/.config/chromium just to be sure, but no changes after running chromium. Then I disabled "chrome://flags/#disable-cast-streaming-hw-encoding" again like before, to no avail. I even turned off hardware acceleration that someone in the post above suggested but doesn't help.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Last edited by arvind (2018-04-09 20:04:49)

#2 2018-04-09 19:58:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Resolved] Casting from Chromium suddenly stopped working

Just for clarity; Chrome, or Chromium?   If it is Windows, GF's machine is likely Chrome.  Android is almost certainly Chrome.

Last edited by ewaller (2018-04-09 20:12:30)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-04-09 20:04:31

arvind

Re: [Resolved] Casting from Chromium suddenly stopped working

I'm on Chromium -- my girlfriend (windows) and Android phone are on chrome indeed.

Found the solution: enabled #load-media-router-component-extension (it was on default before). https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=222506 suggested to explicitly turn it on and that solved the issue for me. Thanks!

Last edited by arvind (2018-04-09 20:17:16)

Board footer