You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 16:14:47

yawpitch

[SOLVED] Latest noto-fonts package breaks Termite.

Just did an update and the new noto-fonts and noto-fonts-extra packages seem to somehow break rendering of Roboto (another Google font) AND Noto in Termite.

The weird thing is they don't seem to have any files in common. But when I downgrade the noto-fonts packages, Roboto is properly rendering again.

Basically what's happening is the width of all the fonts is completely screwed up, with overlapping characters. Forcing a font size change works, but I have to completely change the font family to get back proper rendering and mono-spacing.

As far as I can tell no font names changed, and the overlapping characters issue seems to only happen in Termite ... there does seem to be a bug on the noto-fonts packaging referencing a new Noto Sans Mono font not having monospace declared correctly, but I'm not using that font anywhere.

Basically other than just downgrading the packages and skipping that update, not sure how to go about fixing this ... or for that matter how/where to report it, given that the packages don't seem to depend on each other and Roboto itself wasn't updated??

Last edited by yawpitch (2018-04-10 09:52:08)

#2 2018-04-06 16:27:59

Pryka

Re: [SOLVED] Latest noto-fonts package breaks Termite.

There is something odd happening with this new noto from google.

I also have had minor issues on my terminal font and in chrome. The font in chrome was bold as hell, and terminal characters were overlapping.

The solution for me was to change to some different font and then re-enable noto(in chrome and terminal) then reboot Arch.

Last edited by Pryka (2018-04-06 16:29:51)

#3 2018-04-08 11:10:08

yawpitch

Unfortunately that's not working for me with Termite. Firefox seems to render everything fine, as do GTK apps in general, but Termite remains wonky even after reboot.

#4 2018-04-08 18:59:42

rdeckard
Wiki Maintainer

Does Roboto use Noto as a fallback font for missing characters?

I had a similar issue with dwm using Noto. The recent Noto fonts package caused dwm to crash when certain characters were displayed. I had to uninstall Noto and use another font to prevent the crashing. Sorry that is not the solution you want, but that may be what you need to do.

#5 2018-04-09 17:28:17

Svea

Check:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/58112

It seems that "Noto Mono" is now called "Noto Sans Mono", the specific way to fix it depends on your font configuration i guess.
Personally I just corrected /etc/fonts/local.conf, since I use the generic 'Monospace' everywhere, while 'Monospace' is mapped to 'Noto*' in that file.

Edit: Sorry for not reading the actual question.

Last edited by Svea (2018-04-09 17:29:25)

#6 2018-04-10 09:51:31

yawpitch

Svea wrote:

Check:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/58112

It seems that "Noto Mono" is now called "Noto Sans Mono", the specific way to fix it depends on your font configuration i guess.
Personally I just corrected /etc/fonts/local.conf, since I use the generic 'Monospace' everywhere, while 'Monospace' is mapped to 'Noto*' in that file.

Edit: Sorry for not reading the actual question.

Thank you for that, it was indeed the Noto Mono -> Noto Sans Mono name change. Roboto must rely on Noto Sans Mono for some of its characters, but I wish that was an explicit dependency.

Regardless I'm going to call this one solved, as I'm back up and running. Thanks!

Board footer