You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-11 18:47:45

rawsh

Highest performance opengl driver for vega 64?

So I'm trying to optimize an emulator. So far I tried whatever came with arch, then later compiled mesa-mild and llvm-svn. The AMDGPU-PRO install does not work for me. Which has the best performance? Is it worth it to try and debug amdgpu-pro?

DevPy.me

Arch Linux | Budgie Desktop
Ryzen 1800x@4Ghz, Vega 64

#2 2018-04-11 19:45:45

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Highest performance opengl driver for vega 64?

The large majority of emulators are CPU bound, OpenGL performance usually doesn't factor in much, even for "heavy weight" emulation like Dolphin . In that regard AMD have a track record of being slower than similar Intel offerings as their instructions per clock aren't as high and there's a limit to how much parallelization  you can apply to emulation. That gap has AFAIK significantly decreased with Ryzen, but is still there.

In general it might be more beneficial to disclose your actual end goal (which emulator? which game?) instead of hoping that some general perf benefit might come from a different OGL driver.

That's the more general gist from my side, if anyone has any actual comments on the AMDGPU side, I can't really help with that.

#3 2018-04-11 19:52:52

rawsh

Re: Highest performance opengl driver for vega 64?

I'm trying to run cemu with wine. Mesa mild is about 10% faster than windows but I thought the impact should be much larger since the drivers are running multi threaded opengl instead. Game is BOTW

DevPy.me

Arch Linux | Budgie Desktop
Ryzen 1800x@4Ghz, Vega 64

Board footer