You are not logged in.

#1 2003-01-07 20:18:56

beniro

Appreciation from a *nix newbie.

Hello.  I used Linux for the first time about a month ago and I've gone through quite a few distros (Redhat 8, mandrake 8.2 and 9.0, Vector 3.0, Libranet 2.0).  They all had their nice points, some were easier to use than others, etc. but I've finally settled on Arch as the distro for me.

Yes, I'm a complete *nix newbie, but I really appreciate the plain language explanations used in Arch's install, etc. and Arch Linux has already taught me alot.  It has allowed me to be in direct contact with the inner workings of the OS without making me feel completely abandoned.  smile

Right now, I'm still messing around, installing, reinstalling, configuring and reconfiguring everything...it's all great fun.

I really appreciate the great work and I wanted to give you guys some encouragement.  I hope this isn't TOO far off topic.

Thanks and keep it up.  smile

#2 2003-01-26 20:10:11

sarah31
Website

Re: Appreciation from a *nix newbie.

kinda a late response to it but it pretty well expresses my feelings of arch. arch linux is the only linux that allowed me to grow in education so far and that has allowed me to contribute in alot more ways then the odd post here.

i never would have dreamed that i would be where i am now in any other distro. I have no yearning to try anything else as a matter of fact.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-01-28 00:51:42

beniro

I haven't even considered installing another distro since Arch either.

I'm still fascinated.  smile

#4 2003-01-29 14:49:16

Rouslan

Well, actually, I'm considering installing someBSD right now, because Arch is using BSD-style booting scripts, and I don't know a lot about them (did not find any thorough documentation on the Net). So, as soon as I'm getting a cd-burner, I'm starting to learn BSD-style booting!  big_smile

Rouslan

#5 2003-01-29 18:31:29

Arielext
Website

I've installed Arch when it hit 0.2
Tried Slackware after that but came back from a cold shower. Installed Arch again and I'm never ever going back to some distro without the ease of pacman, the power of no helper-gui's and the speed of the overal distribution.

It's a true genious who combined those aspects smile

apt-get install arch

Board footer