You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-14 20:33:06

darkbeanies

[SOLVED] Libinput - Crazy TwoFingerScrolling

Version 2.0...

Hello (again). I have limited experience with libinput and Wayland. I am simply looking for a way to configure the two fingered scrolling of the touchpad on a laptop, which is extremely fast and very jumpy. I have Googled and consulted the wiki and can find no way of configuring this in any way.

I am simply asking if either

(a) there is in fact some sort of configuration file which will enable me to set the two fingered scrolling speed

or

(b) if this is in fact not possible in any way with libinput.

This is all I would like to know. If you require more clarification, or information, I am very sorry not to have provided it in this post. I will be happy to provide further information if I have in fact left anything out that might be useful. I cannot see how, since my question is simply 'is there a way of configuring the two finger scrolling speed of a touchpad on a laptop using libinput'. But nonetheless, if you feel I have not provided any relevant information, I shall be delighted to provide you with that information. I will be happy to edit this post should that be required. I will also be happy to start a new thread should you feel this post to be utterly beyond redemption.

Many, many thanks.

Last edited by darkbeanies (2018-04-14 22:20:48)

#2 2018-04-14 21:10:31

darkbeanies

Re: [SOLVED] Libinput - Crazy TwoFingerScrolling

Ah nevermind, solved it myself. Man, what an awesome solution, simple, didn't need to get rid of libinput, and no complicated editing of configuration files. Now everything is 'Norfolk and good' as they say in these parts.

Last edited by darkbeanies (2018-04-14 21:58:18)

#3 2018-04-14 21:39:25

Slithery
Administrator

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2018-04-14 21:57:57

darkbeanies

In general, I find hyperlink-only posts both rude and lazy. Please could you just say exactly what it is you want to say if it is not too much trouble. If you mean I should post my solution, I may get round to it later when I have more time*. If you feel I have shown impatience, I am sorry you feel that way but you are not correct. I simply found a solution, marked the problem 'solved' so nobody would waste their valuable time anymore on this thread, and left a comment that it was solved. Granted, the last comment was a little sarcastic, but somehow it felt appropriate. I will happily edit it if it makes you feel better.

*Obviously, this depends upon this thread not being marked for deletion by some overly enthusiastic moderator or something.

Last edited by darkbeanies (2018-04-14 22:06:24)

#5 2018-04-14 22:19:51

darkbeanies

Okay, as far as I can make out, there is no way of configuring the two-finger scrolling speed using libinput in any way at all. Also, it seems like the developers of libinput are not big fans of user-configuration in general (please correct me if I am wrong about this, its just my impression from the libinput FAQ), which means that a lot of options that used to be configurable with synaptics are now not configurable.

So, my botch job solution is simple...

install xf86-input-synaptics ( I have no idea if libinput will need to be disabled in some way on your system, on mine this works)

run the command

synclient VertScrollDelta=-400 (if you like 'up' to mean 'down', which I don't personally)

on startup (and any other commands / options that libinput does not want you to be able to configure)

Last edited by darkbeanies (2018-04-14 22:21:48)

#6 2018-04-14 22:23:03

ewaller
Administrator

That is exactly what he meant.  And we consider it rude when members don't post solutions for their problems. Very rude.
These threads, believe it or not, are not here to answer just your problem.  The purpose is to build a knowledge base that everyone can use while benefiting from the experiences of other.
Is that clear?  No links that lead to things that have already been written and vetted that you have to follow and read, or anything...

Edit:  Thank you.  I note that you and I were posting at the same time

Last edited by ewaller (2018-04-14 22:24:05)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2018-04-14 22:31:38

darkbeanies

Look, I know how this forum works. Maybe I don't like it, but I have been a member for quite a while and I realize that it is not going to change for me or anyone else. I was just a little tired and wondered if any kind person felt like violating the normal procedure for a change. Unfortunately a mod got in first and deleted my first thread (which I would have been happy to edit if it really 'did not contain enough information' (which I thought it did, anyway)). Oh well.

See you all again in another five years or however long it was since my last post here...

Board footer