You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-18 23:24:23

faengarm

System freezes while using WiFi with broadcom-wl-dkms firmware

I have this older laptop at home and a while back I installed Linux on it. At first it worked fine as I was using ethernet but then I managed to break the port so I had to settle for wifi. I found out that I need to use the wl driver. Everything worked fine at first but then the my system just froze. I thought right away that it's because of the wifi so I tried to use it without it. The laptop work fine for hours but when I connect to wifi it freezes just under an hour. I checked journal and there is nothing occuring before my forced reboot. Sadly I am not sure what I should check so I would appreciate any help. I will gladly provide all the additional information one would need to help here.

#2 2018-04-19 06:57:27

seth

Re: System freezes while using WiFi with broadcom-wl-dkms firmware

The "freeze" and forced reboot prevent the journal from syncing to disc, so the trail isn't there after a reboot.
Try running "dmesg -w" in sight (so that you can for sure see the output when the system freezes) and wait for the issue. Hopefully you'll get some interesting messages before the graphics stack freezes.

Board footer