You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 18:55:10

hybrid

recent change urxvt window size

Hi there,

a few days ago my urxvt windows got bigger and I need to manually resize them.
I'd kinda like to figure out what caused this change. Unfortunately I travel a lot so I can't really pinpoint it to a few packages; when I get home and pacman -Syu a lot of packages get upgraded at once.

I'm running fluxbox, here's the urxvt related passage of my ~/.fluxbox/apps

[group]  (workspace=[current])
[app] name=urxvt
[app] name=URxvt
[end

Just so they're grouped up in tabs, I don't see how this would impact the window size. Plus I'm running this setup for I dunno, maybe 10-15 years now, didn't change it recently so why would that cause my urxvt to behave differently now out of the sudden?

Also here's my Xresources. Again, this is running for a loong time, I didn't change it for years. So why would that cause urxvt to behave differently now? Anyhow, here it is:

Xft.dpi:		96
Xft.antialias:		true

! - - - - - - - - - -
! Setting up URxvt  -
! - - - - - - - - - -
URxvt.saveLines:	512

! specify fontlists or at least a font for each formatting
URxvt.font:		xft:Droid Sans Mono:antialias=false:size=10
! URxvt.font:		-*-droid sans mono-*-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-u
URxvt.boldFont:		xft:Droid Sans Mono:bold:antialias=false:size=10
URxvt.italicFont:	xft:Droid Sans Mono:italic:antialias=false:size=10
URxvt.bolditalicFont:	xft:Droid Sans Mono:bold italic:antialias=false:size=10

! set colors for urxvt
URxvt.foreground:	White
URxvt.background:	DarkGray
URxvt.colorUL:		Cyan
URxvt.colorIT:		DarkGreen
URxvt.colorBD:		White
! Replace blue folder colors with a lighter shade for clarity
URxvt.color4:		RoyalBlue
URxvt.color12:		RoyalBlue

! set appearance of urxvt
URxvt.transparent:	true
URxvt.shading:		50	! 0 to 99 darkens, 101 to 200 lightens
URxvt.scrollBar:	true
URxvt.scrollstyle:	plain	! rxvt, plain, next or xterm
URxvt.thickness:	20	! set the scrollbar width in pixels
URxvt.scrollBar_right:	true
URxvt.scrollBar_align:	top	! top, bottom or centre
URxvt.scrollBar_floating:true	! true: display scrollbar without a trough
URxvt.scrollColor:	[25]Gray

! have urxvt catch weblinks, make them clickable and open them with firefox
URxvt.perl-ext-common:	default,matcher
URxvt.url-launcher:	firefox
URxvt.matcher.button:	1

! urxvt scrolling behavior
! - don't scroll when you're in the buffer
! - scroll to the end on key press (also when a program ends)
URxvt*scrollTtyOutput:      false
URxvt*scrollWithBuffer:     true
URxvt*scrollTtyKeypress:    true

So yeah, anyone else experiencing a sudden increase of the size of a new urxvt session? Anyone having a clue as to why that is? I'm pretty sure it's nothing I manually set (that's why I posted my Xressources and fluxbox/apps) so it has to be a change upstream, but where? pearl? I have no clue.
I'd like to know what caused that change so I can revert it. Else I'll have to tinker with .fluxbox/apps to get them the size I want, But I dunno, before tinkering I'd like to figure out the reason first.

sincerely

#2 2018-04-10 20:17:31

seth

Re: recent change urxvt window size

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226380
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236118

It would probably help if you had screenshots for comparism to see what exactly changed how - there probably isn't a bigger frame? (and that would likely not be urxvt exclusive)

#3 2018-04-17 09:49:30

hybrid

Oh my goodness, I think we're on to something here!
First off, thank you for your quick reply, I was on a trip meanwhile again hence my late response.

I never noticed, but the line spacing is different now! I found an old screenshot with a urxvt that had text in it, counted 24 lines. Now I have to resize the window from 80x24 (characters I suppose) to 80x19 to get the former window height. I feels "smaller" then, but I didn't know why until I read your first link: there is more space between the lines now.
I will try the patched freetype mentioned in your link (freetype2-ttmetrics) and see if that fixes it for me. I never found the old line spacing hard to read, so I should be fine then.

edit: fixed a typo

Last edited by hybrid (2018-04-17 09:51:21)

#4 2018-04-18 12:30:21

hybrid

Meh, using the old tt-metrics behavior wasn't it. The line spacing in urxvt only changed marginally using the freetype2-ttmetrics package instead of the official one.
I made a screenshot, well stitched a few screenshots together to illustrate the changes. I noticed the font size is different too.

https://filebin.net/0w2sdo41b6egtejw/terminal-sizes.png
(sidenote: all windows have been aligned to the top border. The lines don't line up that way, but the difference in height is easier to spot)

1: today's aterm window, dimensions are set to {668 397} in ~/.fluxbox/apps
2: the same aterm, but from last year
3: today's urxvt, manually resized down to 80x20 characters now with the freetype-ttmetrics package to get the outer dimensions I want
4: urxvt as it used to be about a year and a half ago. This is what I want to recreate.

Things I noticed, dunno if they're important:
- the change between 1 and 2 (the aterms) should be related to the freetype2-ttmetrics package. Font size seems to be identical, line spacing in 1 is lower now. Seems like my aterm from jan 2017 didn't use the spacing the freetype2-ttmetrics package today creates
- the font size in the urxvts (3 and 4) seems the same, the line spacing though seems bigger in 3 than in 4
-> urxvt seems to be unaffected by the freetype2-ttmetrics package. maybe I should recompile the urxvt with the freetype2-ttmetrics installed

Last edited by hybrid (2018-04-19 09:55:42)

#5 2018-04-18 13:11:06

seth

Please edit your post and replace the image w/ a link, the board rules allow 200x200px images at max.

Did you see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1733411 ?

It actually looks a lot like line spacing, maybe try altering the "URxvt*lineSpace" resouce (using a negative value) to work around the change?

#6 2018-04-19 12:38:28

hybrid

Yeah, completely forgot about that 200px rule. Edited my post.

You mean vej.kse's link to http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freety … 09f2acf244 ?
I did see that, but the patch failed for me (failed on hunk #2 at 354 ttdriver.c). Then tried to patch it manually, but after that the compiler threw some errors and aborted.

I was not aware of URxvt.lineSpace but it only seems to accept positive values for me. Tried various values, positive values had an effect as expected, negative values did not have any impact at all.
I tried URxvt*lineSpace and URxvt.lineSpace.

#7 2018-04-19 14:54:52

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Those patches were only trying to restore the behaviour of behaviour of freetype 2.7 and below so to verify if freetype 2.8+ is the culprit you could try to build freetype 2.7.1 from the old official PKGBUILD and install it or else install the old binary from the rollback machine (though in the latter case you would likely have to downgrade a fair few other packages as well).

I highly doubt this is actually your problem though considering that freetype 2.8 entered the repos nearly a year ago - if freetype 2.8+ were your problem you should have noticed symptoms a long time ago (immediately after installing freetype 2.8 in fact) unless you've been holding back a year's worth of updates. And besides, freetype2-ttmetrics should replicate freetype 2.7's behaviour, especially since I changed the patch over (the original patch I created in June 2017 was dodgy).

From your first post:

Unfortunately I travel a lot so I can't really pinpoint it to a few packages; when I get home and pacman -Syu a lot of packages get upgraded at once.

Well, the issue can't have arisen out of nowhere - it must have been a fairly recent update that introduced the issue if you noticed it only in the last few days. Why don't you post the portion of your pacman log covering these last few days, including that last big update you mentioned and we can have a look and see if there are any likely culprits.

Last edited by Chazza (2018-04-19 15:31:35)

Board footer