You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-08 05:11:42

michaelgira

Alsa audio won't work.

I can't seem to get the audio to work while using alsa.

In the past, i usually used pulse audio, because i could only get Alsa to work rarely.

However this is a fresh install from yesterday, and i would like to try and use Alsa instead of pulse.

I am following the wiki. I installed 'alsa-utils', then i tried to unmute first using:

$ amixer sset Master unmute

The response that comes back is:

amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

After googlng, i found some people saying that you should try replacing 'Master' with your audio mixer control.

So i used

amixer scontrols

which returned

Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',2

So i replaced my initial command from master, to the control name, which gave me this:

'IEC958',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

Audio was still not working, tried rebooting too and it wasn't working.

I went further into the wiki and tried using alsamixer instead.

When entering alsamixer, i am met with something that doesn't seem to be the right sound card, at least that is what it seems like.

This is what it looks like. No master, no volume bars, just 3 <s/pdif> things.

│ Card: HDA Intel HDMI                                                           F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Intel Haswell HDMI                                                       F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                                       F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                                                   Esc: Exit               │
│                                                                                                        │
│                                                                                                        │
│                                         ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                                         │
│                                         │OO│     │OO│     │OO│                                         │
│                                         └──┘     └──┘     └──┘                                         │
│                                      < S/PDIF >S/PDIF 1 S/PDIF 2  

When i press F6 to change sound card, it shows me that i have

0  HDA Intel HDMI
1  HDA Intel PCH

when i go into the other card, it looks correct, but doesn't seem to work.
Originally things were muted, i have unmuted things but that doesn't seem to make anything work.
Here is what it looks like:

Card: HDA Intel PCH                                                            F1:  Help               │
│ Chip: Realtek ALC3239                                                          F2:  System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All                                       F6:  Select sound card  │
│ Item: S/PDIF                                                                   Esc: Exit               │
│      ┌──┐       ┌──┐       ┌──┐       ┌──┐       ┌──┐                                        ┌──┐      │
│      │▒▒│       │▒▒│       │▒▒│       │  │       │  │                                        │  │      │
│      │▒▒│       │▒▒│       │▒▒│       │  │       │  │                                        │  │      │
│      ├──┤       ├──┤       ├──┤       ├──┤       └──┘       ┌──┐       ┌──┐     Disabled     └──┘      │
│      │OO│       │OO│       │OO│       │MM│                  │OO│       │OO│                            │
│      └──┘       └──┘       └──┘       └──┘                  └──┘       └──┘                            │
│      100      100<>100   100<>100     0<>0       0<>0                                        0<>0      │
│     Master   Headphone   Speaker      Mic     Mic Boost <  S/PDIF  >S/PDIF Def Auto-Mute  Internal M   

I have tried testing the sound through youtube and using

speaker-test -c 2

No results.

I've tried things like reinstalling, it hasn't worked for me.

What should i do? Any help would be seriously appreciated.

#2 2015-08-08 15:46:54

S3NTYN3L

Re: Alsa audio won't work.

Looks like ALSA is making your HDMI port default (0), as was the case with my laptop.

Try creating an .asoundrc file as outlined here.

In my case, ~/.asoundrc looks like this:

defaults.pcm.!card 1
defaults.pcm.!device 0

#3 2018-04-19 15:36:37

lyler

This solution also worked for me, but I set this value in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf rather than creating a user-specific ~/.asoundrc.

#4 2018-04-19 15:49:02

Slithery
Administrator

Welcome to the forums lyler smile

Please take your time to familiarise yourself with our Code of Conduct, especially the sections regarding necrobumping and empty posts.
Also the ideal solution for a system wide alsa configuration is to use /etc/asound.conf, as /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf will get overwritten every time the alsa-lib package is updated.

I'm going to close this old thread now.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer