You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-20 07:44:55

Caeruleas

How to make Conky start on boot? [SOLVED]

Hi, this is my third post on these forums, and answers come back fairly quickly smile. Lately I've been trying to get Conky to start whenever I boot up my system. However, after a lot of google searches I've learnt to make a conky.desktop file to enable.

I tried running:

sudo systemctl enable conky.desktop

but it outputs:

Failed to enable unit: Unit file conky.desktop.service does not exist.

I tried moving conky.desktop file to /etc/systemd/system (because that's where all the other .service files are) and ran the command again, but it says the same thing.
Here I noticed that the system recognises it as a .desktop.service file, but I only want it to recognise it as only a .desktop file.
Is there any way I can change it so that I can enable the conky.desktop file?
If there isn't, is there a better way to do this?
Thanks.

Last edited by Caeruleas (2018-04-20 13:17:27)

#2 2018-04-20 07:49:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to make Conky start on boot? [SOLVED]

A desktop file is not a systemd service file. Add the desktop file to whatever autostart routine your DE/WM uses: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Autostarting

Or use a systemd user service, as that will run properly as your user and with xorg available, however you'd still have to create a corresponding user unit. If you already have a working desktop file, adding that to whatever other autostart routine accepts desktop files is likely preferable.

Last edited by V1del (2018-04-20 07:56:46)

#3 2018-04-20 13:17:04

Caeruleas

Re: How to make Conky start on boot? [SOLVED]

Ah since I am currently using the Budgie DE, I looked under the Budgie settings and I simply overlooked the 'Autostart' menu. From there I added Conky to the list, and now it runs perfectly after a reboot. I apologize if this seemed like a stupid "rookie" mistake, and I admit it was super simple to fix. Thanks for the help anyways!

Board footer