You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-21 03:55:47

sezhuanchampion

Veracrypt automount hidden/outer volume on boot

I have set up a veracrypt encrypted hard drive with a hidden volume inside an outer volume. The point is to achieve plausible deniability through being able to type one password on boot in order to mount the hidden volume and another to mount only the outer volume. When the outer volume is mounted there is in theory no way to prove the existence of a hidden volume. Both volumes contain a /home file structure.
   The problem arises when I try to set up auto-mounting of the partition. If I use a line like this in /etc/crypttab:

veracrypt1    /dev/sda2    none    tcrypt-veracrypt

, then I will be prompted for the password for the partition before login, which is the correct behaviour. However only the password to the outer volume works. If I instead use the line: 

veracrypt1    /dev/sda2    none    tcrypt-veracrypt,tcrypt-hidden

, then the password to the hidden partition will work, but the one to the outer partition will not work. This means that there is no scenario in which I have a prompt where I can enter either password in order to mount either volume, which makes using a hidden filesystem completely pointless.
    I would like to know if there is a way to set up crypttab so that I don't need to specify whether I'm using the hidden or the outer volume before booting.

Board footer