You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 05:24:28

ninjai117

Trizen - is there a way to automate or say yes to all?

Sometimes I come onto my computer to update it and there are dozens of updates.  Some of these take like 20 minutes a piece, and since I'm not monitoring it 24/7 any time I come back I just hit Y to continue install, then for hte next package hit a bunch of N's to not edit PKG builds, then way for compile again.

By the time I get around to completing the updates, if I re-run I've got a whole new batch.  is there any way to speed this up?  Like always accept default selection?  also becomes a pain when I need to enter my password each time.

Basically I'm looking for "apt-get -y upgrade".

Thanks!

#2 2018-04-10 11:13:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Trizen - is there a way to automate or say yes to all?

Why on earth are you using an AUR helper if you specifically don't want any of the things that an aur helper does.  Just use makepkg.  Something like

for path in /path-to/aur-packages/*; do makepkg; done

Then when it's all done, install all of the .pkg.tar.gz files with pacman.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-04-10 12:22:06

drcouzelis
Website

ninjai117 wrote:

Sometimes I come onto my computer to update it and there are dozens of updates.  Some of these take like 20 minutes a piece, and since I'm not monitoring it 24/7 any time I come back I just hit Y to continue install, then for hte next package hit a bunch of N's to not edit PKG builds, then way for compile again.

By the time I get around to completing the updates, if I re-run I've got a whole new batch.

Wait... Are you talking about AUR package updates? You have dozens of AUR updates? And then MORE AUR updates after you install those updates??

Something seems wrong... I install official repository packages and AUR packages quite liberally. I currently have 1680 official repository packages installed and 38 AUR packages installed. I get about 3 AUR updates per month.

Why do you have so many AUR package updates?

#4 2018-04-10 13:59:18

ninjai117

drcouzelis wrote:
ninjai117 wrote:

By the time I get around to completing the updates, if I re-run I've got a whole new batch.

Wait... Are you talking about AUR package updates? You have dozens of AUR updates? And then MORE AUR updates after you install those updates??

Something seems wrong... I install official repository packages and AUR packages quite liberally. I currently have 1680 official repository packages installed and 38 AUR packages installed. I get about 3 AUR updates per month.

Why do you have so many AUR package updates?

Likely because I only get on my computer a couple times a month.  What I mean is, lets say on the first of the month I start updating my packages.  Since the updates (lets say I have 6) take 20 minutes a piece cause they need to compile, and I'm only on my computer for an hour, I update 3 of them in that time and walk away compiling the 4th.  Now I come back on the 20th of the month and finish the last few while I'm at my desk.  Once they're all done, if I run trizen -Syu then I have new ones that were released while trizen was sitting idle in that time.

trillby wrote:

Why on earth are you using an AUR helper if you specifically don't want any of the things that an aur helper does.  Just use makepkg.  Something like

for path in /path-to/aur-packages/*; do makepkg; done

Then when it's all done, install all of the .pkg.tar.gz files with pacman.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then? I use AUR to get packages that are not available in pacman repos.  For example, Steam and Beersmith2.  How else should I be doing this?

#5 2018-04-10 14:18:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I just told you how else.  I didn't suggest not using the AUR, I suggested not using an AUR helper (or at very least, use one that doesn't do things you explicitly don't want them to do).

All those questions you don't want to answer are not part of what's necessary for the supported means of using the AUR - that's all extras added specifically by Trizen.

As yet another alternative, if you don't keep a directory of AUR package build files around, just use Trizen (or some other tool) just to download all the source files.  I don't know Trizen, but it almost certainly has such an option, and perhaps it downloads them all to /tmp/:

trizen --flags-to-download-only
for pkg in $(find /tmp -maxdepth 2 -name PKGBUILD -exec dirname '{}' \;); do
   makepkg
done

# ... then when you come back

pacman -U /tmp/*/*.pkg.tar.xz

Or any other way that works for you.  The point is, makepkg does not prompt for input or passwords to build packages.

If you have a whole lot of aur packages, you may want to look into Alad's aur utils which are a much more complicated, but much more robust approach.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-04-10 14:26:28)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-04-10 19:32:42

akstrfn

Hey, I suppose

trizen -Syua --noconfirm

will do what you want.

#7 2018-04-10 20:29:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

akstrfn, --noconfirm couldn't possibly negate the need for a password to install packages.

One could add a NOPASSWD sudoers entry for `pacman -U`, but I'd not advise that.

#8 2018-04-10 20:57:43

akstrfn

Trilby, my guess is that it is due to sudo timeout but only ninjai117 can confirm.

#9 2018-04-10 21:19:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Your guess about what?  --noconfirm will not work without some other ill-advised reconfiguration of sudo.  Period.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-04-10 21:20:56)

#10 2018-04-10 22:18:10

progandy

@Trilby: trizen might use sudo keep-alive in the unattended mode. (sudo -v, sudo -n) I don't use trizen, so I don't know if it does.

aurutils is cleaner, though. You can first download everything, verify all PKGBUILD files at once, and then let it build everything unattended in an nspawn container. At the end you have to run a normal pacman update to install the packages.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#11 2018-04-10 22:27:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Progandy, does it?  And how could it?  Is it using makepkg -i, if so, then if the package takes more than 5 minutes to build, that flag will not help.  Is it using `pacman -U` instead?  If so, then if the package takes more than 5 minutes to build, that flag will still not help unless Trizen backgrounds makepkg and keeps the foreground process for running `sudo -v` every 5 minutes.

In any case, this is rather absurd speculating about the most contrived way that something *could* happen when it clearly doesn't.

#12 2018-04-11 10:05:14

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

There's a lot of wild speculation here about what Trizen can and cannot do which I'm not sure helps OP with their situation. Let's stick with what we know, and avoid confusing the situation with theories on how Trizen could work. If anyone is particularly interested, Trizen is open source and hosted on github, so they could find out exactly how it does what it does (or doesn't). wink

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#13 2018-04-23 06:42:32

phw

As the main issue seems to be the slow build times that prevent you from installing the updates in time, here are a couple of suggestions to deal with this:

• Many packages with long build times also offer pre-compiled binaries. E.g. there is a firefox-beta package that builds from source, but the build takes some while. But there is also a firefox-beta-bin package, which just repackages the binaries provided by Mozilla which is way faster. So maybe take a look if there are binary packages available for your cases.

• For large packages much of the time is used for compressing the package, which is useless if you just want to install if afterwards. You can configure makepkg to disable compression, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … algorithms

• There are also a couple of suggestions to improve compile time with makepkg at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … pile_times

• Consider installing proprietary software from other sources. E.g. I started using Flatak to install some prorietary Software like skype or steam. Advantages for me are that their dependencies are encapsulated (e.g. steam brings some dependencies I am quite happy I don't have to install system wide), no package building is involved and updates only download the changes.

• I can also recommend the usage of aurutils. While it needs some setup and is not so easy to start with, it offers some advantages. In your case the separation of build and installation might be helpful (do the building first, and then install everything built in one go, only requiring your root password once). I don't know Trizen, though, so maybe you can achieve that separation with Trizen, too.

Not a direct answer to your question, but maybe some ideas to solve your core problem.

Board footer