You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-25 01:23:38

Hydrox

[SOLVED] python-pbr package has conflicting files on upgrade

Problem

When I do a simple pacman -Syu upgrade, pacman stops installing and throws the following error.

python-pbr: /usr/bin/pbr exists in filesystem                                                               
python-pbr: /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pbr/__init__.py exists in filesystem

(and so on for every file under /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pbr/)

I was trying to upgrade to the python-pbr-4.0.2-1 package. I was not able to remove the package with pacman -Rs because it was a dependency.

Solution

Installing pip (9.0.3) seems to have caused this problem, and you can solve this conflict by running (perhaps as root):

pip uninstall pbr

This will remove the pbr package installed from the pip package manager. You should be able to upgrade as usual now and pbr will be installed through pacman instead.

Last edited by Hydrox (2018-04-25 01:27:17)

#2 2018-04-25 02:22:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] python-pbr package has conflicting files on upgrade

Note that installing pip did not cause the problem: not even installing pbr through pip caused the problem.  The problem was only run running pip as root to install pbr.

Do not use competing package managers.  If you use pip, npm, gems or any other package manager, they should run as a regular user and keep their content under /home/

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer