You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-29 16:04:05

Kampfpudding

[SOLVED] Cannot boot properly after BIOS update on T430

Hey there,

I am running Arch on my T430 for about two years now. Now I ran into an issue I couldn't resolve so far.
I recently updated from the older 2.68 to the latest BIOS version 2.76. Since then I can no longer boot from any device (neither SSD nor USB) when using the UEFI boot mode. Only when I choose Legacy and boot from my supergrubdisk2 thumb drive I can find the respective boot entry and start my Arch Linux. When I try to start from my SSD I only get a blinking white cursor on a black background. When booting the supergrubdisk2 I can see the EFI entries as a selection but booting them naturally won't work.

Arch is installed with an EFI partition and everything was working flawlessly before I updated. After the updated I reset all BIOS settings. Maybe I changed something there as I couldn't find anything on the internet that was similar to my issue. However, I tried all available boot modes (UEFI with and without SecureBoot, Legacy, "combined mode") but the problem persists.

For now, the thumb drive workaround works fine, but it's becoming rather annoying to carry it at all times.

I'm on a T430 with Arch Linux (no other OS) and a single 250GB Crucial BX100.

I might just get in touch with the Lenovo support but considering I'm not on the latest Thinkpad with Windows 10 I wouldn't expect a lot of help. Also, I can't really believe that this problems stems from the BIOS itself but rather from some messed up boot partition. I haven't heard of anyone with the same problem after that update.

Anyway, maybe someone here might have an idea.

Last edited by Kampfpudding (2018-04-29 18:33:12)

#2 2018-04-29 16:27:06

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot boot properly after BIOS update on T430

If you have reset the BIOS/UEFI you will have wiped the NVRAM, use a live cd and chroot in and reinstall the boot loader into your NVRAM.

#3 2018-04-29 18:31:36

Kampfpudding

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot boot properly after BIOS update on T430

Oh man, thanks a thousand times. My knowledge of boot-stuff is way to shallow to come even close to considering this. Works like it used to smile

Board footer