You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-03 00:29:05

R.F.Buser

Re: Gnome 3.28 removes the option to display desktop icons.

I've added support for pdf and audio thumbnail previewing.

Here is the new link. ! Maybe you should take the one from post #27. Check that first !

And here is the link to a screenshot of my current desktop.

I am pretty happy with it. Everything works. Remember, you can also open the applications with left double click. They fire up pleasantly fast.

Last edited by R.F.Buser (2018-04-03 03:05:44)

#27 2018-04-03 03:03:46

R.F.Buser

I just realized, that I could reverse the order. No check for the mime-type first  - go for thumbnail for all non-.desktop files. Only if we have no thumbnail (maybe a lazy thumbnailer) we check for the mime-type. If it is an image, we help ourselves and create an icon from it. So here is

the completely "liberated" version.

Of course the thumbnailer previews a lot. But previews of short documents look pretty dull and not as candy as the icons which represent the mime-types. I guess it is beauty versus function. What do you think? Should we preview as much as possible or exclude some mime-types from being previewed? Test with some short .odt-files - .txt-files are not previewed. I guess at gnome they have the same discussions. This should probably be done in accordance with their policy. This version 003 does exactly that - their thumbnailer decides, whether the file is previewed or a standard icon is used.

Now I have to disconnect for a while. I want to go to sleep and then I have to do a lot of other things.

Last edited by R.F.Buser (2018-04-03 03:08:03)

#28 2018-04-04 10:23:00

sultanoswing

I can't get nemo to work - there's a long lag of a few seconds as it opens, and it's not displaying desktop icons (despite setting it as the default file manager and even removing nautilus completely).

I'm going to check out kde and cinammon as permanent alternatives to Gnome as I really like desktop icons and having options.

Last edited by sultanoswing (2018-04-04 19:55:31)

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#29 2018-04-04 23:33:46

grufo

R.F.Buser wrote:

I now have a fork wich suits my minimal needs. It is currently available on my drive.google.com

@R.F.Buser

Thanks a lot for this! But what about using GitHub?

#30 2018-04-05 00:25:36

Batou

sultanoswing wrote:

I can't get nemo to work - there's a long lag of a few seconds as it opens, and it's not displaying desktop icons (despite setting it as the default file manager and even removing nautilus completely).

Due to changes in GNOME, Mint team had to create nemo-desktop process that acts as a regular desktop. Unfortunately, it only works in conjunction with Cinnamon.

I'm going to check out kde and cinammon as permanent alternatives to Gnome as I really like desktop icons and having options.

Cinnamon is what you want. It's like a sane version of GNOME Shell. Been using it for years. It's wonderful and nemo's by-far the nicest GUI file manager.

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#31 2018-04-05 08:08:20

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Batou wrote:
sultanoswing wrote:

Due to changes in GNOME, Mint team had to create nemo-desktop process that acts as a regular desktop. Unfortunately, it only works in conjunction with Cinnamon.

This is false. nemo-desktop works fine in GNOME.

#32 2018-04-05 09:51:37

ooo

If none of the alternatives work for you, I don't see any reason why you couldn't keep using nautilus 3.26, as long as you rebuild it.

EDIT. Of course sticking to nautilus 3.26 isn't a long term solution either, but would probably work until there's proper solution to get desktop icons.

Last edited by ooo (2018-04-05 09:56:17)

#33 2018-04-05 20:35:57

sultanoswing

As an update, I installed cinnamon and kde, had a play around with both, but ended up coming back to gnome-shell. Cinnamon was pretty good, but I seem to have gotten used to the top left hot corner of gnome-shell smile. If gnome continues to treat me bad, cinnamon looks like a very viable alternative.

However, on further reading and tweaking, I've got nemo drawing the desktop icons - I hadn't done the following step (from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … eshooting):

Desktop icons not shown

Since Nemo v3.4.2, the desktop is managed by `nemo-desktop`. 
This can be configured to auto start by copying the file /usr/share/applications/nemo-autostart.desktop to ~/.config/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop and removing the line "OnlyShowIn=X-Cinnamon;". 

Last edited by sultanoswing (2018-04-05 20:37:01)

Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#34 2018-04-06 01:11:13

Batou

City-busz wrote:

This is false. nemo-desktop works fine in GNOME.

Last time I tried it, it didn't. Since it's completely unsupported and GNOME Shell changes often, it might break again.

sultanoswing wrote:

As an update, I installed cinnamon and kde, had a play around with both, but ended up coming back to gnome-shell. Cinnamon was pretty good, but I seem to have gotten used to the top left hot corner of gnome-shell smile.

You can configure hot corners in Cinnamon to act just like they do in GNOME.

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#35 2018-04-06 03:59:11

sultanoswing

Batou wrote:

You can configure hot corners in Cinnamon to act just like they do in GNOME.

Yep, it's a nice DE and a good replacement. I did use the top left hot corner as "show all windows", but I also like gnome-shell's dock and quick search which accompanies that hot corner.

Aaaaannyway,the configurability of cinnamon is great, and I may yet go back to it, but for some reason nemo as a file manager takes ~10 seconds to display my /home/username folder, whether under gnome-shell or cinnamon, so I've gone back to nautilus for most things (except the desktop icons from nemo), hence gnome-shell for now.

I will fiddle some more with cinnamon in the days / weeks ahead though - it's definitely got some nice features / customization cf gnome-shell, whilst retaining that gnome familiarity / feel.

#36 2018-04-19 20:53:49

Tetano

R.F.Buser wrote:

I just realized, that I could reverse the order. No check for the mime-type first  - go for thumbnail for all non-.desktop files. Only if we have no thumbnail (maybe a lazy thumbnailer) we check for the mime-type. If it is an image, we help ourselves and create an icon from it. So here is

Of course the thumbnailer previews a lot. But previews of short documents look pretty dull and not as candy as the icons which represent the mime-types. I guess it is beauty versus function. What do you think? Should we preview as much as possible or exclude some mime-types from being previewed? Test with some short .odt-files - .txt-files are not previewed. I guess at gnome they have the same discussions. This should probably be done in accordance with their policy. This version 003 does exactly that - their thumbnailer decides, whether the file is previewed or a standard icon is used.

Now I have to disconnect for a while. I want to go to sleep and then I have to do a lot of other things.

I have grab your work and pushed here
https://github.com/Ste74/org.gnome.desk … s-reworked

If is ok for you i can make a pkgbuild for all . If not let me know and i remove the repository

#37 2018-04-30 21:23:48

dr34m

R.F.Buser wrote:

Very nice, can you upload this to some git site so all people can use and contributing to this?

Thanks!

Tetano wrote:

If is ok for you i can make a pkgbuild for all . If not let me know and i remove the repository

+1 pkgbuild

#38 2018-05-01 08:06:07

Tetano

Yep,if anyone want use my repo feel free to use.. pkgbuild is ready only have to push into aur..

#39 2018-05-03 16:26:21

proninyaroslav

R.F.Buser wrote:

I've added support for pdf and audio thumbnail previewing.

Do you have a repository? I think there are like-minded people who will help extend the functionality of this extension, maybe even me, if there is time to learn the API extensions.

#40 2018-05-03 16:31:20

Tetano

You and all people are welcome .. here the github repo

https://github.com/Ste74/org.gnome.desk … s-reworked

and a pkgbuild is already in AUR and pkg in Manjaro wink

#41 2018-10-31 18:39:28

grufo

It seems that the unofficial extension by Carlos Soriano has gone beta and became official. Everyone interested can find it on AUR.

--grufo

Board footer