You are not logged in.

#6301 2018-05-03 18:22:12

Lopiben

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello everyone,

Arch user for 3 years now, I love its freedom and philosophy even though it sometimes comes with some hair loss. I have been on Linux for quite a while now (maybe 9 years ?), I always made it work but I never went into its depths.

I want to change that though, as I am going to start my master thesis in biomedical engineering. It is a algorithm thesis and I want to clean and optimize my laptop before starting it. AND it is fun so...

Thanks everyone for the help (passed and I hope futur) and for the great ressources you made available.

Ben

#6302 2018-05-09 10:06:00

escanor

Hello, I love Arch and I love you all :>

#6303 2018-05-10 15:08:02

zsx

Hello everyone! Arch is the best of the best. Ever.  smile

#6304 2018-05-11 09:22:29

Archlin

It is always good to introduce yourself, so here we go.

Mij forum name is Archlin, and I am new to Arch.

I am using linux as main desktop for about 22 years. I started with Mandrake and Redhat, Slackware, Debian and since 12 years I was using Gentoo as main distro.

After 12 years its time for something new and since I like rolling distro's, I thought to give Arch a change and installed it last week.

Well to be short, what a relieve to see that I can set flags like in Gentoo, but that the installation takes allot less time.

I am still playing to get wayland up and running without freezing my system ones is a while (nouveau on TI660). And playing with Wayland supported desktops like gnome, sway and way-cooler. I think I will end up with something like sway since I like tilling managers, but I surely want to give gnome a try.

I also have some hobbies, like photography, computers and play with (web)design. When I can I go out and play with the camera mostly to shoot nature pictures and edit them on the computer.

So i hope this Arch experiance is just as fun and good as my Gentoo one.

So thanks for your time and lets have some fun :

#6305 2018-05-11 15:02:59

153rd

Hi I´m 153rd,

Ran Linux Mint since 2014, decided I wanted something that´s a bit more under my control, so since yesterday I gave Arch a try.
Started of writing a PKGBUILD for jsmin, a dependency for installing scudcloud, which is a slack client.
I slightly dislike not being able to run stuff like Discord or Skype, so I´ll spend some time trying to work around that
On Mint I used Banshee as a media player, right now I´m giving Amarok a shot,  we´ll see where it ends up.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

#6306 2018-05-11 16:23:05

mrunion
Website

Open a thread for support if needed, but what is wrong with Skype? It runs fine on my machine.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#6307 2018-05-11 21:58:50

someusername2
Banned

Hello everyone!

I joined the forum probably for one-time topic and used this anonymous nickname. Glad to see some "official hello" topic. Cool funny idea!

I moved out from win10 just in the end of April and start use GNU/Linux since that time.
My desktop PC: Intel G1610 CPU (on-die GPU core) + 16GB RAM + SSD.
Starts with Ubuntu (system response latency, GUI lags), Kubuntu (system response latency, fast GUI), Manjaro KDE for now (and it is fast and beauty and comfortable). I saw Arch Linux installation video and I hang up for a while trying to think if I can fully understand all the abilities to perform operations better for me it on my computer and think that it is too complicated for me for now. Still love "Windows-like" GUI (instead of Ubuntu GNOME3).

Nice to see you all! Have a good weekend!

Last edited by someusername2 (2018-05-11 22:12:17)

#6308 2018-05-12 13:40:23

153rd

mrunion wrote:

Open a thread for support if needed, but what is wrong with Skype? It runs fine on my machine.

I'm obviously stupid. just did pacman -S skype and I got it. thanks for mentioning it! Just assumed it' s impossible.
next up: Writing a ' default' PKGBUILd for debian packages ^^

#6309 2018-05-16 19:23:07

chrisdb

Hello,

I've been using Arch for a couple of weeks now. This is my first rolling system and I must say Arch is really stable!!
I'm coming from Debian, so it's a little bit out of my comfort zone, but I'm starting to get a hang of it.

Also I want to complement everyone who's been involved in the WIKI pages. You guys provide such a complete medium of information not only
about Arch but also Linux in general. Thx!!

grtz

Failure is success in progress.
A.E.

#6310 2018-05-19 16:03:48

cody-code

Hello!

I have been using linux/unix (if you count darwin as proper unix) for a while, mostly ubuntu based systems.

I have wanted to try out arch for quite a while, finally decided to just install it. Been running it for a few weeks and am very happy with it, particularly how many packages exist in the AUR that I previously had to compile and maintain manuall on my systems.

#6311 2018-05-21 22:58:20

HantaHanta

Hello, I've been using arch for a little bit and found this forum very helpful so I decided to join.

#6312 2018-05-22 02:02:06

ufettuccine

Hello everyone I'm ufettuccine and I aspire to contribute to the Arch community! I fell in love with the linux kernel several years ago and to this day all of my computers run some sort of GNU/Linux OS. As a kid, I always played around with Linux Mint, the old Backtrack, and Ubuntu, and in GUI terms gnome has come a long way. I'm glad to be a part of such a wonderful community, and I do agree that sometimes I lose hairs when using Arch, but that's all part of the fun.

Looking forward to working with all of you and being a part of something greater than myself.

#6313 2018-05-22 04:34:45

tydynrain
Website

I send a warm welcome to all the new Archers! I'm happy that you're here, and I hope that this is the beginning (or continuation) of an amazing and rewarding journey! Arch is something special to be sure...

Registered Linux User: #623501 | Arch Linux Principles: Simplicity - Modernity - Pragmatism - User Centrality - Versatility => KISS
Arch Linux, the most exciting thing since Linus created Linux and married it with GNU/GPL.
Arch Linux for Life, Arch Linux Forever!

#6314 2018-05-25 03:20:26

EleaticAchilles

Hello to all-
I've been using Arch as my main personal OS for probably about six years. This was after years of distro hopping... Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Archbang. So far I have managed, but I am by no means an expert at Arch or at Linux, and would like to become much better at tweaking stuff and fixing problems. I figure that aiming to participate more actively here will help.  I hope to help others too.
For better or worse, I like emacs, and especially org-mode. But I'm not an expert at those either. Yet...  If I could run org-mode as my OS, that would be something. (It might be horrific, but it would be something!)

#6315 2018-05-28 09:12:10

ligy

Hi everyone, i have been using Arch for nearly three years, but i didn't dig in too much. Although i don't know much about the system, i still love the feeling that all programs in my computer are needed, not some installed in some ways when i don't really keep eyes on. Also i like the way Arch upgrades itself, rolling-release makes it easy to experience the new features of programs.
Love you all.

#6316 2018-05-30 00:11:19

sou.r/monday

Hello everyone! I used Arch in college and loved it for it's configurability and the workflow that I could have with i3. Dropped the laptop I had it on and never got around to re-installing it until recently. Still struggling with some initial configuration and I never got too deep into it earlier (or probably understood as much as I should have) so definitely a noobie!

Mostly have been plugging away on Fedora in the meantime.

#6317 2018-06-02 02:50:18

cubicCrystal

Heyo! I'm new to Linux in general; especially so to Arch. I installed Ubuntu on an old laptop drive about half a year ago, and loved the feeling of being able to do technical things hands-on and learn from that experience. After a while I got irritated with how little I could figure out how to customize, as well as bored with the plug-and-play sort of polished feel, so I decided to switch to Arch (which I've been using for the past month or two).
It was hard at first, since I still didn't know enough about Linux and the shell/terminal to figure out what the wiki was saying, but with the help of some tutorials and the helpful people on the IRC, I managed to get it up and running. I'm still working my way through things, and I look forward to being here, learning new things, and hopefully in the future helping others as well.

#6318 2018-06-04 02:55:10

Kane17

Hello all,

Linux noob here...

Why I chose Arch:
I only knew that I wanted something that would require me to be 'present' at every level of installation so I knew that I wanted a DIY/rolling release Distro.  I didn't know how to decide as I felt it was a bit overwhelming to research every distro but I liked the logo and the name...so why not Arch?

It took some failure and experimentation but I got my PC up and running with Arch with only a little trouble.  The information at the wiki here was basicly all I needed to make everything work the way I wanted to so here's a big THANK YOU to anyone reading this that may have contributed to it!

#6319 2018-06-04 10:47:50

Koru

Hello everyone,

I'm not very experienced with linux. I have used Kali (I had to test few things, did everything with guides), but its gnome was nice and I used it as desktop for a while. My home server is clean debian that I'm managing in free time because it lives its own life right now. After all I use Windows 10 as main system on my PC - only because I play on it. If not games I would never touch it again.

And that was my OS-experience on my PC. But I have bought a laptop because I graduated school and I'm on straight way to the studies with IT field of study. I'll start my job and studies around september/october. I thought about making my laptop only-linux-device I dreamt of. I'm ambitious person so I was like "I want to have MY OWN FOOKIN LINUX, configured absolutely for me". I asked friends that are more familiar with Linux. My options were Gentoo, Arch and something-debian-related (because I knew little, but something, about it). I resigned from first option because I didn't feel "ready" after reading an internet and third option because it was to simple for my ambition. Then I go with Arch, I found ArchWiki, some topics on other forums and... "It could be this, I'll give it a try".
OhMyGod, about few hours of getting prepared and installing Arch (first time with no GUI installation). So much things went bad, second install was perfect (IMHO), no problems found.
And that's it. I have just installed it, I have a to-do list, right now I'm looking for "my" DE, after this few configs and software installations. Plan is to have my own Linux, reliable, configured and ready to everyday use before september.

I hope I'll stay there for a long time with the Arch community and the Arch Linux itself

#6320 2018-06-04 20:46:47

kailashkatheth
Website

hello

#6321 2018-06-07 13:33:39

BonfaceKilz

Hello peeps.

#6322 2018-06-07 18:53:54

arianit

Arch and arch updated ?

#6323 2018-06-10 01:23:46

ragnar22

Hello Guys,

This is Ragnar22 from valhalla. Somebody told me about the the archLinux, where it says it left hand of odin. smile

Thanks

#6324 2018-06-11 18:47:24

toundra

Hey people!

Trying to migrate over from manjaro. I'm pretty new to arch and have been having some trouble getting it set up ( well, right. ).

#6325 2018-06-18 02:46:33

LucianoFromTrelew

Hey there! Ex Ubuntu user, now Arch user for the last 3-4 months. I've got to say that I'm loving it so far! The Wiki, the forums, the DIY philosophy   smile

Anyway, I just want to say hi to everyone and thank everyone of you who made this distro so good.

Best regards from Trelew, Chubut, Argentina,
Luciano.

Board footer