You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-15 15:15:56

ralvy

Opera browser: quite impressive

Just downloaded Opera 9 a couple of days ago. I must admit, I'm quite impressed with it. I find it faster than Firefox. The only problem I found so far is that I can't log on to Online Banking at uboc.com (gives me a "Web page not found" message). This is no a problem with Firefox.

Though Opera does offer email and newsgroups, I still like KMail more for email, and KNode more for newsgroups.

#2 2006-07-15 15:41:09

cdhotfire

Re: Opera browser: quite impressive

ralvy wrote:

Just downloaded Opera 9 a couple of days ago. I must admit, I'm quite impressed with it. I find it faster than Firefox. The only problem I found so far is that I can't log on to Online Banking at uboc.com (gives me a "Web page not found" message). This is no a problem with Firefox.

Though Opera does offer email and newsgroups, I still like KMail more for email, and KNode more for newsgroups.

What about the menus? The only reason i don't use opera is because it uses some weird qt thing and doesn't use kde's themes.

[img]http://www.barbarawood.com/guestbook/images/smilies/koolaid.gif[/img]
"Ooooh Yaaaa!"

#3 2006-07-15 15:54:44

ralvy

I don't notice anything odd about Opera's menus.

#4 2006-07-15 16:01:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

ralvy wrote:

uboc.com (gives me a "Web page not found" message).

For no particular reason I checked this page and it opened fine in both Opera and Firefox. Maybe you just had some bad timing?

Opera 9.0 seems to be really nice, but quite a few things are bothering me:

Logging out of Yahoo doesn't work. I read the technical reason for why this is happening and I really don't care. The only way to log out of Yahoo is to kill some cookies or restart the browser. If they know a fix...

The history list and the bookmark list needs a fixed size (like Firefox). Having bookmark descriptions span two monitors is no good. Having to edit my bookmarks to make it fit is a hack. Also with the bookmarks: having the bookmarks automatically pop-up a sub-menu that covers the menus below it is an annoyance. They're aware of this too.

One more thing of note: on my machine, Opera isn't any faster than Firefox. Maybe it's just this machine, but they are equal.

WIth that being said, I do hope that Opera becomes all that it can be. Firefox essentially just became part of Google's ad marketing arsenal. Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I really don't want my browser itself to be spyware.

#5 2006-07-15 16:09:41

ralvy

skottish wrote:
ralvy wrote:

uboc.com (gives me a "Web page not found" message).

For no particular reason I checked this page and it opened fine in both Opera and Firefox. Maybe you just had some bad timing?

I probaby wasn't clear enough about that. I can load uboc.com. But if I choose to enter my Access Number, PIN, and Zip Code under Online Banking, I can't get anywhere.

#6 2006-07-15 16:19:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

ralvy wrote:

I probaby wasn't clear enough about that. I can load uboc.com. But if I choose to enter my Access Number, PIN, and Zip Code under Online Banking, I can't get anywhere.

(if you've already tried this, my apologies)

Did you try to have Opera lie? It's default behavior is to identify itself as Opera. First go to your bank site. Then go to Tools--> Quick preferences--> Edit site preferences--> Network--> Browser Identification. I would try IE first. If it doesn't work, try Mozilla. Opera has always been the best at fooling sites in this regard. It's the main reason I have it.

#7 2006-07-15 16:30:28

ralvy

skottish wrote:
ralvy wrote:

(if you've already tried this, my apologies)

Did you try to have Opera lie? It's default behavior is to identify itself as Opera. First go to your bank site. Then go to Tools--> Quick preferences--> Edit site preferences--> Network--> Browser Identification.

Aha! I couldn't find the Browser Identification options so figured that Opera didn't offer that. I figured this was the problem all along. Thanks for letting me know how to set it. It works fine with IE identification.

#8 2006-07-15 21:36:47

Stalwart
Website

Does mplayer-plugin work for you?

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#9 2006-07-15 21:45:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Stalwart wrote:

Does mplayer-plugin work for you?

Yes. I found a link to the actual plug-in around here somewhere, but I don't remember where. There is an AUR build at:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … s=0&SeB=nd

Install then make sure that Opera no longer points to your Firefox plug-in directory:

Tools--> Preferences--> Advanced--> Plug-in options--> Change path

#10 2006-07-16 00:55:26

funkyou
Website

What about the menus? The only reason i don't use opera is because it uses some weird qt thing and doesn't use kde's themes.

This happens when using the static version... just use the shared version (like the one in extra) and be happy smile

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#11 2006-07-16 04:35:47

syd

Ive used opera for ages. But i dont like the was it handles the links bar.
But if i use ff i find myself trying to emulate opera

Board footer