You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-28 21:01:11

Simaryp

Easy Guide for Disc Encryption on Dual Boot System?

Hi,

I am currently in front of the decision whether I upgrade my two PCs and the Laptop of my wife to Ubuntu 18.04 or switching to arch. I used arch in the past for a year or so and I am considering of going back since my experience with Ubuntu LTS in the last year was not super satisfying. The idea of rolling release is the main driver for me.

Installing on my and my wifes laptop is with the wiki straight forward I guess. But on my desktop I have a Win10 system that I want to run in dual boot. I don't care too much about this system but the Linux system on parallel should be ideally encrypted. So main question for me to give it a try again is, is there some easy guide to get this dual boot system with arch and encryption.

Thx in advance for some good hints.

#2 2018-04-28 21:27:53

loqs

Re: Easy Guide for Disc Encryption on Dual Boot System?

Welcome to the arch linux forums Simaryp.  On top of the installation guide see Encrypting_an_entire_system and Dual_boot_with_Windows.

#3 2018-04-29 19:07:00

Simaryp

Thx for the hints. So correct me if I am wrong. But maybe a good way would be to leave windows as it is. Create one ext4 partition beside and use the first option from the wiki encrypting an entire system. If I am using only one partition for Arch LVM would be quite useless, wouldn't it?

#4 2018-04-29 19:25:00

loqs

Encrypting_an_entire_system#Simple_partition_layout_with_LUKS is without lvm and in the example there are no other partitions.
You could create more partions with each one being an additional luks container that would be fore some other mount point / swap.
Encrypting_an_entire_system#LVM_on_LUKS in the example has one partition which is used as a luks container.
Inside the luks container is created a lvm physical volume and inside that are multiple logical volumes used for different mount points / swap.

If you do not want to separate out different mount points then the only benefit of LVM would be it is easier to do so later if you change your mind but it adds complexity.

#5 2018-05-10 19:15:17

Simaryp

I managed to install Arch alongside Windows10 on a LVM on LUKS,
I installed xorg and gnome and decided to activate it via systemctl enable gdm. Unfortunately after rebooting I get an error screen klicking it away I am back to the boot splash and nothing more happens. shoul i  ave installed wayland?

#6 2018-05-10 19:30:49

Slithery
Administrator

Please start a new thread for this new issue as it has nothing to do with the current thread title.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#7 2018-05-10 20:06:58

Simaryp

Ok, I will do this maybe tomorrow and provide further details. Because the instructions were sometimes a bit unclear it took me several hours to come there and for today it's enough.

During installation I was also looking at the german wiki installation guide and also some youtube videos. It seems there are billions of different ways to install arch and different additions. So I was wondering how I could sort out what I really need and how I can make sure that I don't miss anything important.

#8 2018-05-10 20:15:28

Slithery
Administrator

The only supported installation guide is the English language version on the wiki...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#9 2018-05-10 20:21:11

Simaryp

And if I do everything that is relevant to my system I am not missing out anything? For example I saw recomendation to use lts-kernels. And often you can find recomendations to install certain services, e.g. in german wiki # pacman -S acpid dbus avahi cups cronie

#10 2018-05-10 20:39:43

loqs

If you manage to install an arch system without dbus something has gone terribly wrong as without it systemd would fail to function and you would need to have broken package dependencies.
Each of the other services is documented on the wiki so you can decide for your self if you need them.
Edit:
The arch installation guide references numerous other pages on the wiki which provide additional information on specific areas that you are expected to read if you are unclear about an issue.

Last edited by loqs (2018-05-10 20:42:50)

#11 2018-05-12 07:46:27

Simaryp

Ok, I looked through the Wiki and found out that dbus is installed automatically with base. So it seems the German installation guide is a bit to redundant and maybe not all actions there are really necessary.

Unfortunately I have to work over the weekend and need to get some things done. When I have time again I want to start over again. I think since I now understood what I did the installation till the point where I am right now can be done within some minutes. I will then only do what is recommended in installation guide and in the recommended steps.

But maybe you can help me out with some questions that already arose and for which I didn't found an answer.

1) Since I want to encrypt the partition I stumbled over this page https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm … reparation . I am not sure how to achieve this when I only want to prepare the partition where the Luks Container with LVM inside is. Also I created the partition with fdisk and I was not asked to specify the type to 8300.

2) I want to use gnome and I have a NVidea 1080GTX. After reading through the Wiki I am still unsure whether to pick Wayland vs. Xorg and what driver to pick. Related to this was the decision between libglvnd nvidea-340xx-utils.

Board footer