You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-10 15:17:38

Annoyingduck

[Solved] Cinnamon Not Seeing Installed Window Manager Themes

I just installed Cinnamon in my Arch XFCE desktop. In Cinnamon's theme settings nearly all of my Metacity themes are not shown, I can only select from a few random ones.  I have about 30 themes installed in /usr/share/themes. I tried adding some to .themes and they still do not appear.  A bit of info that could be suspect: In XFCE I use Compiz as the WM which relies on Metacity which is fully configured in XFCE and is autostarted in "~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml", but this should have no bearing on Cinnamon correct?  Without completely disrupting my perfect XFCE config, anyone know how I can get Cinnamon to "see" my metacity themes?  Something is blocking it, and I don't know where to start.

Last edited by Annoyingduck (2018-06-01 13:54:59)

#2 2018-05-10 15:28:39

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Cinnamon Not Seeing Installed Window Manager Themes

I would guess that this is a GTK version issue.  IIRC Cinnamon uses GTK3 themes whereas XFCE uses GTK2 themes.

Check you theme folders and see which ones have a GTK3 variant, are these the only ones that are showing up?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2018-05-10 15:35:01

Annoyingduck

Slithery wrote:

I would guess that this is a GTK version issue.  IIRC Cinnamon uses GTK3 themes whereas XFCE uses GTK2 themes.

Check you theme folders and see which ones have a GTK3 variant, are these the only ones that are showing up?

Nearly all of my themes have a GTK2 and GTK3 variant, but nearly all aren't showing up.  There are also some variants that are showing, but others not.  For example all of my Arc based themes appear in Cinnamon's Window theme area, but they all default to the standard light Arc WM theme (aka, the dark variants still apply the light variant).  The stock Adwaita WM theme is not even appearing. So weird.  Something is blocking the themes from being visable to Cinnamon.  I have Cinnamon working alongside XFCE on another computer, and all is working fine.  BIG difference here, in that computer XFCE is using XFWM not Compiz, so my leading theory is that Metacity is somehow borked in CInnamon on this particular install.

#4 2018-05-10 15:40:06

Annoyingduck

Dropping say, Windows10Dark in .themes doesn't even show in the Cinnamon menu (it's already installed in /usr/share/themes).  Full GTK3 & Metacity theme are in the folder.  The GTK theme is showing, but not the WM theme at all.  Definitely something to do with Metacity and a conflict in my Compiz/XFCE installation, but unclear on where to start without completely removing Compiz & reverting back to XFWM (which I do not want to do).

#5 2018-05-10 16:33:19

eschwartz
Fellow

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#6 2018-05-10 16:44:42

Annoyingduck

That's interesting, but on my other installs with CInnamon, all of these themes are appearing and working properly.  My laptop is currently running my preferred Win10Dark Metacity theme, which is a Metacity-1 based theme.  Arch & Cinnamon are both up to date on all machines.

#7 2018-05-10 19:04:18

eschwartz
Fellow

If you're referring to https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1229508/ then it doesn't appear to be providing a metacity theme at all, just a gtk2 one.

Also if you have a metacity-1 or metacity-2 theme set, it won't stop working. It just cannot be found in the settings anymore.

#8 2018-05-12 01:51:12

Annoyingduck

Eschwartz wrote:

If you're referring to https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1229508/ then it doesn't appear to be providing a metacity theme at all, just a gtk2 one.

Also if you have a metacity-1 or metacity-2 theme set, it won't stop working. It just cannot be found in the settings anymore.

So I haven't changed my WM theme on my older installations since installation and I've just not even noticed that this change has taken place.  So my older installs - one Arch and one Manjaro - are using the Windows10Dark Metacity theme from this AUR package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk- … ws10-dark/ and because I have not changed it, it's remaining in use even after those commits were implemented (as you stated it would). So the "issue" is present on my older installs, it's not specific to my newer install where that particular theme, along with a pile of others, are not appearing in Cinnamon's selection menu for the reasons listed in the Github link above.

Now the quest for a work around to get non Metacity-3 themes to work on Cinnamon.  I can't believe I can't find any posts in Mint's or any other distros forums about this. Cinnamon just became very difficult to theme the way I like to theme it. I'm not gonna mark this as solved quite yet...

#9 2018-05-13 05:06:07

eschwartz
Fellow

Ask them to make a metacity-3 theme. smile

EDIT: https://github.com/B00merang-Project/Wi … issues/126

Last edited by eschwartz (2018-05-13 05:07:31)

#10 2018-06-01 13:54:23

Annoyingduck

This is now sorta solved in the sense that there is a way to bi-pass the Metacity-1/2 restrictions. In Dconf-Editor you can manually choose any Metacity theme and they will apply correctly and it'll bi-pass the GUI Cinnamon WM theme selector. The area in Dconf-Editor is: /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/theme "'Name_of_theme'".  Doing this allows Metacity-1 themes to be applied in the latest Cinnamon builds that restrict anything other than a Metacity-3 themes that do not appear in the GUI theme selector.  I was looking in the wrong area of Dconf-Editor originally. Thanks to user @opblanco in opendesktop.org.  Here's a link to the post with the comment: https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1013482.

Board footer