You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-22 15:24:45

erickwill

Fingerprint reader - Validity Sensor

Hey everybody,
I wonder if anyone get to work the Fingerprint reader (Bus 003 Device 006: ID 138a:0050 Validity Sensors, Inc.)..
Trying and so far no lucky..
Anyone has any clue on this?
Thanks..

#2 2016-02-22 16:35:51

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Fingerprint reader - Validity Sensor

Sort of.  I am unimpressed with the quality of the output.  Fprint has a hard time correlating the output as there are usually too few features that are recognized.  I think the windows drivers cheat by being a bit more tolerant.

Warnings having been issued, follow the wiki page : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fprint
Except, when installing libfprint, edit the PKGBUILD and change the source line to:

source ="(git://github.com/payden/libfprint.git)"

That fork has some support for our reader.

Edit:  I just looked over your previous posts and I see we talked about this before smile  (I also never did manage to compile a CM 13 that would not hang at boot, but that is another issue)
Regardless, I see the link to an Ubuntu thread you provided in that older thread actually references this patch.  Sadly, I had not known that the author passed away.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-02-22 16:41:04)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-02-25 16:33:55

erickwill

ewaller wrote:

Sort of.  I am unimpressed with the quality of the output.  Fprint has a hard time correlating the output as there are usually too few features that are recognized.  I think the windows drivers cheat by being a bit more tolerant.

Warnings having been issued, follow the wiki page : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fprint
Except, when installing libfprint, edit the PKGBUILD and change the source line to:

That fork has some support for our reader.

Edit:  I just looked over your previous posts and I see we talked about this before smile  (I also never did manage to compile a CM 13 that would not hang at boot, but that is another issue)
Regardless, I see the link to an Ubuntu thread you provided in that older thread actually references this patch.  Sadly, I had not known that the author passed away.

Thanks bro for the help.
Yep, has been a long time since we talk about CM.. big_smile Actually, due to lack of time I'm quite absent from XDA and CM world big_smile I need to come back.
Please, add me to hangout so we can talk each other and I can assist you better on CM build matter.. erickwill@gmail.com
There is a few tips that will make the trick to build successfully.

#4 2018-05-14 19:01:37

Anubhav

ewaller wrote:

I edited the PKGBUILD & changed the source line as per your instructions, but I'm getting the following errors:

==> Starting pkgver()...
fatal: No names found, cannot describe anything.
==> ERROR: pkgver is not allowed to be empty.
==> ERROR: pkgver() generated an invalid version: 
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build libfprint.

EDIT: I installed the packages libfprint-git (which is patched for VFS495 and other Validity sensors using a proprietary daemon) & vfs495-daemon from the AUR. But I'm getting the following errors from 'fprintd-enroll'

Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
EnrollStart failed: Enroll start failed with error -1

I've tried fingerprint-gui from AUR, and although it scans & stores the fingerprint, the PAM service is unable authenticate for sudo. It remains stuck at:

Sensor usb#vid_138a#pid_003f#0020f4b26a80 plugged.

Waiting for finger swipe ... 

even after I swipe & it recognizes the fingerprint.

Last edited by Anubhav (2018-05-15 04:34:58)

Board footer