You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-14 20:38:02

mcloaked

[SOLVED] Shutdown and Restart greyed out in sddm greeter

On one of my machines (an i7 laptop) I have had the issue that the sddm greeter shows greyed out Suspend, Restart and Shutdown options for the past month or so. I have seen solutions such as at https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/978 but the issue persists despite making a new /etc/systemd/system/sddm.service file containing:

[Unit]
Description=Simple Desktop Display Manager
Documentation=man:sddm(1) man:sddm.conf(5)
Conflicts=getty@tty1.service
After=systemd-user-sessions.service getty@tty1.service plymouth-quit.service systemd-logind.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/sddm
Restart=always

[Install]
Alias=display-manager.service

The machine can be shutdown or restarted using the icons when right-clicking on the plasma desktop - so the problem lies with sddm only,

This only happens on one of my machines - all the others are fine and don't display this issue despite all being set up the same way in arch linux.

Has anyone else come across this issue recently, and know of a solution/workaround?  Thanks

Last edited by mcloaked (2018-05-21 18:30:14)

Mike C

#2 2018-05-14 20:52:56

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Shutdown and Restart greyed out in sddm greeter

making a new /etc/systemd/sysem/sddm.service

Which is certainly the wrong approach (regardless of the apparent typo)

Try editing /usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service (/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service should symlink there)

#3 2018-05-18 08:27:31

mcloaked

Thanks Seth - though would it not be the case that editing the original file would then get overwritten during systemd updates? Presumably a copy of the file in /etc/systemd/system/ (without the typo!) would then get read by systemd before the file in /usr/lib/systemd/system/ ? (i.e. as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/sy … unit_files). So long as any changes to the file in the latter directory, if it changed during a package update, could then be reflected by a corresponding manual change in the customised file in the /etc/ directory?

Either way it seems that whether or not the problem is seen depends on the hardware - since I have only a single machine exhibiting the issue - all the other machines don't show the problem at all despite the same (untouched) configuration.

Last edited by mcloaked (2018-05-18 08:33:09)

Mike C

#4 2018-05-18 13:58:19

seth

/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service is the service wanted by the graphical.target
What you do with other files doesn't matter as long as /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service doesn't link to them. Therefore your former approach had no impact at all.

To avoid the service bein overridden by an update, either add it no pacmans NoExtract list or eg. copy /usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service to /usr/lib/systemd/system/my-sddm.service, disable sddm.service and enable my-sddm.service

#5 2018-05-19 13:40:47

mcloaked

Thanks Seth - I hadn't realised the nuanced detail that meant that making a service file with a different name in /etc/systemd/system/ was the important difference from what I had originally done. I will certainly try that approach.

Edit: Your advice worked perfectly. I will close this thread.

Last edited by mcloaked (2018-05-21 18:29:54)

Mike C

Board footer