You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-20 13:05:34

ChemistryMickey

[SOLVED] Kernel version and uname mismatch

Hello all,

Undoubtedly this is a user error, but after updating to Linux 4.16.9-1 my uname still outputs my precious version 4.15.15-1-ARCH. For completion please find the output below:

pacman -Q linux
linux 4.16.9-1

uname -r
4.15.15-1-ARCH

As such, on boot no drivers are found and I have no Internet access despite the result of

lspci

showing that all the hardware is there.

I updated from a DE (plasma desktop if it matters) so /boot was mounted at the time. I've read some similar threads which suggested going to my /mnt directory and reinstalling linux but even after several reboots (some of which I found Linux not recognizing my keyboard) the version numbers still don't synchronize.

Forgive my lack of output dumps but until this is resolved my phone is my primary line out to the world and typing out logs is a little painful.

I've been using ARCH for about a year now and I love the bleeding edge. Despite the ocassional setback like this it is my favorite operating system by far. Do please help though.

Thank you kindly!

Mickey

Last edited by ChemistryMickey (2018-05-20 14:29:53)

#2 2018-05-20 13:31:49

ooo

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel version and uname mismatch

ChemistryMickey wrote:

I updated from a DE (plasma desktop if it matters) so /boot was mounted at the time.

Are you absolutely sure? You can boot to DE regardless, and /boot not being mounted is the most common cause for your issue. Please post your fstab and output of 'mount | grep /boot'.

I've read some similar threads which suggested going to my /mnt directory and reinstalling linux but even after several reboots (some of which I found Linux not recognizing my keyboard) the version numbers still don't synchronize.

Going to /mnt has nothing to do with fixing this type of issues. You're supposed to boot to another linux OS, e.g. the Arch ISO, mount all your partitions where ever you want (usually /mnt), and according to your fstab, chroot, and fix your system from there.

#3 2018-05-20 14:26:31

ChemistryMickey

ooo wrote:

You can boot to DE regardless, and /boot not being mounted is the most common cause for your issue

Right you are ooo, thank you. After booting into an ISO, mounting the boot partition, and updating, everything synchronized properly.
Just for completion I will give the outputs of the requested files for any future noobs who made my mistake

mount | grep /boot
/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

cat /etc/fstab
# Static information about the filesystems
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /dev/sda2
UUID=056528f8-8b79-41f6-b00a-0cd6a1a30776       /      ext4      rw,relatime,data=ordered      0 1

# /dev/sda1
UUID=ACC4-4BF5      /boot      vfat      rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro      0 2

I'll close this off as SOLVED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, just to lay out verbally my issue for anyone who stumbles upon this in the future (including myself should I forget),

THE PROBLEM:

I updated my system from my DE without issue using the normal pacman -Syu command AFTER CHECKING THE ARCH HOMEPAGE FOR ANY MANUAL INTERVENTION INSTRUCTIONS (there were none this update). After rebooting and trying to run startx to start my xorg-server, my system wasn't able to find a screen.

DIAGNOSIS:

I thought it was an xorg problem until I also noticed that I couldn't connect to the internet despite having a hard wire. I checked my dhcpcd service (just using top; should it have been missing it can be started using sudo systemctl start dhcpcd though it might be a service you want enabled on startup (replacing "start" with "enabled" in the previous command)) and found that it was working so then I checked my hardware status using ip link which only showed

1:  lo:  <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> ...

and no others. After a quick hardware check using lspci and finding that everything was there, I thought my drivers must be off. Reading the thread https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=208444 gave me the information to check my kernel version and check it against that in my boot partition using pacman -Q linux to give my current kernel version and uname -r to give that which was currently in my /boot partition. If the numbers don't match, then there's the problem.

FIX:

I booted into an ISO and mounted the two partitions; from there I reinstalled linux in the /boot partition using pacstrap /mnt base base-devel .

Thank you again to ooo for informing me of my misconception that /boot is mounted if you are operating in a DE. If I have made any mistakes in the above explanation or I screwed up but it still worked, please do tell me. Aside from that, my machine is back up and running.

Mickey (noob)

Last edited by ChemistryMickey (2018-05-20 17:00:25)

#4 2018-05-20 15:15:30

ooo

Happy to hear you got it sorted.

However, it still seems unclear what caused your issue in the first place. According to your last post, /boot is mounted and your fstab seems to be in order. Unless you changed something in fstab, I don't see any reason why the kernel image in /boot wouldn't get updated by pacman.

ChemistryMickey wrote:

I booted into an ISO and mounted the two partitions; from there I reinstalled linux in the /boot partition using pacstrap /boot base base-devel .

So you booted to arch ISO, mounted your root partition to /boot, and your boot partition to /boot/boot? I said you can mount your partitions wherever, but generally mounting anything over already existing system directories is really bad idea, unless you absolutely know what you're doing. /mnt should usually be safe mount point.

Also, in this case installing base and base-devel is overkill, and simply reinstalling linux package should be enough.

#5 2018-05-20 16:59:16

ChemistryMickey

Oh no; Forgive the typo;

I meant I booted into arch ISO and re-installed to the mount point, pacstrap /mnt base base-devel .
I have changed it in the original post and thank you for pointing that out. I did not install to /boot/boot.

I'm not sure why it didn't update either; this is the first time I've had this issue. I agree my fstab looked fine. After checking with blkid all the UUIDs lined up so I'm not sure why the update didn't find the boot partition.

Also, you're probably correct that install base-devel is overkill, but I figure at some point I am going to want to do some development. I don't know enough about Arch in particular to start that yet, but I do software and driver development as an engineer so it's something I've wanted to try. I should have a backup netbook in case I bungle my desktop though to search the Arch forums for helpful people like you!

Board footer