You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-04 02:36:51

scybhe

Unable to boot from EFISTUB

Hi all, I install the arch to my office's computer and it can't boot from uefi. I followed the install guide and stuck at the boot loader part. I mount the ESP at /boot and after installation there are 3 files: vmlinuz-linux/initramfs-linux.img/initramfs-linux-fallback.img. I want to boot my system with EFISTUB. I enter the uefi shell of my motherboard and go to the fs0, here I can find the 3 files: vmlinuz-linux/initramfs-linux.img/initramfs-linux-fallback.img. But when I run:

\vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda2 rw initrd=\initramfs-linux.img

I just got:

'vmlinuz-linux' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

. Is there anything I missing? or the motherboard doesn't support the EFISTUB and how to check?

#2 2018-06-04 15:45:48

velusip

Re: Unable to boot from EFISTUB

EFI shells sometimes want the .efi extension (to denote an executable).  In this case, the "vmlinuz-linux" file you are trying to execute from EFI can be renamed accordingly.  This could be configured to automatically happen during system updates with systemd.

I'm pretty sure the vmlinuz-linux file is automatically prepared with the appropriate header with default Arch Linux config, and should be invoked correctly by EFI shell.  You can quickly check the first few bytes for "4d5a". e.g.

xxd /boot/vmlinuz-linux | head -n1

Board footer