You are not logged in.

#1 2002-08-26 18:15:05

sarah31
Website

Just for the developers of Arch please

Ok it is like this. I am current using Libranet and was planning to purchase a new box and have arch as the main distro. The reasoning was that i really am happy with Libranet and I did not want to blow away all of my personalizations of it. However, due to yet another difference of opinion with the developers (i don't want to buy the new version which requires a fresh install and i don't want to buy the excess packages that will come with their proposed upgrade option from 2.0 to 2.7) I feel that I should bail now (as yet again they chose to criticize me and not my opinion) so I likely will install Arch on my main box tonight.

So where is the question you ask? Ok here it is. How well do you take criticism? I tend to be brutally honest about shortcomings of the OSes I use. I don't criticise the people but I will be honest about the end result of peoples work. Can you handle this?

I have no coding skills but I am really impressed with your presentation on your homepage. I don't mind having to do my own tweaks here and there and I know how to ask questions properly to elicit the aide i need. I would love to help in packaging apps for your distribution. So I hope that you guys can help me into realizing this goal.

I will work hard to spread the word of Arch Linux in fact I have been doing also already (not in a zealot manner either as i hate that). Hopefully I can find a home here. A linux home that I don't feel restricts my point of veiw or ignores it. I can take criticism of my points of view and, when done with tact, of myself. Being ingored or discounted for having a differing opinion hurts especially when with a good arguement I can be made to see another point of view.

Thanks for your time. If you wish to respond personally my email addy is
sarahhay@mb.sympatico.ca

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2002-08-26 20:41:00

mike

Re: Just for the developers of Arch please

I will work hard to spread the word of Arch Linux in fact I have been doing also already (not in a zealot manner either as i hate that).

Yes she did. I have also used Libranet for some time and I don't like the way they treat their users. So, hello everyone! I'm downloading Arch Linux now.... smile

#3 2002-08-26 20:46:19

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Hi Sarah,

User feedback is essential to the improvement of any open source project.  Sometimes ideals collide and have to be left behind, but good ideas/suggestions are welcome from everybody.

Arch is still a very young distro (5 months old) and has a lot of growth to do yet.  There are only 4 active developers at this time, and our levels of contribution vary with our free time.  Since Arch is all volunteer work, it often has to take the back-burner to real life things like school and dayjobs.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  smile  The short answer is, "Yes, we appreciate the feedback and know that it helps us grow and improve."

#4 2002-08-26 21:11:17

sarah31
Website

apeiro wrote:

Hi Sarah,

User feedback is essential to the improvement of any open source project.  Sometimes ideals collide and have to be left behind, but good ideas/suggestions are welcome from everybody.

Arch is still a very young distro (5 months old) and has a lot of growth to do yet.  There are only 4 active developers at this time, and our levels of contribution vary with our free time.  Since Arch is all volunteer work, it often has to take the back-burner to real life things like school and dayjobs.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  smile  The short answer is, "Yes, we appreciate the feedback and know that it helps us grow and improve."

The proper delivery of criticism may not always be there, but just tell me (nicely!). I can't always put properly into words what I want to convey or they, the words, may lose context. I never want to rock the boat but I seem to always end out doing so sad I love using Linux and I loved using Libranet but my ideas, opinions and help were either not accepted or i would be personally attacked.

Why I stayed so long I don't know. I am about help and just want to find a linux distro that is about linux and not about slander. Arch seems to be the right direction (is that a pun?) for me to take.

Any help you need that i may be able to provide just ask.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2002-08-26 21:42:13

Arielext
Website

I knew the time when I began with Linux ... Redhat 5.2 it was
loved for being like the good old dos time
I hopped from well known distro to another then finally I met Libra and Icepack after that

The fact that Icepack didn't use rpm (i.r. is getting a headache just by thinking to upgrade kde or gnome with rpm) was a blessing from heaven. Then they thuoght, well let's go in a different way and use that bloody rpm

When I asked them why they said that I sohuldn't complain or otherwise make my own distro.

I left the icepack clan (was helping out where I could for a while)
Then I discoverd Arch, it just hit 0.2 I thought. The pacman system was just what I was looking for. The slim installation was great, but discovering the vim/joe configuration made me smile for a day (... well in the 'nerd' time of days that is).
Now I'm just a silly user, trying to help out. Making some packages tweaking here and tweaking there, doing beta tests of pacman and I must say that arch is getting mature very fast.

Just hope that the community stays what it is (friendly, nice and open).
I'm an open source developer myself mp3cdbrowser and java 3D chess are 2 of my projects. The most features of mp3cdbrowser are brought to me by my users, not by myself.

in other words: the open source developers need people helping them with idea's, packaging or writing manuals ect. So Arch needs people who are willing to help, and who are willing to say what's wrong with it.

apt-get install arch

#6 2002-08-26 22:48:02

sarah31
Website

Super. Here is an example of what you could expect from the developers of Libranet:

http://libranetlinux.com/forum/phpBB2/v … .php?t=205

Trust me when i say probably the worst thing i said about their precious distro was when they released the final version of 2.0 and it was as buggy as all heck. One person was complaining and the users and developers drove him away.

As far as I know I criticised just their distro not any actual person.

Boy and i thought the mandrakeuser folks were harsh on me. Just take a look at what kind of people Libranet would bend over backward for (and they do by the way. Tal actually likes this guy he thinks that he is an "active contributor to Libranet":

http://libranetlinux.com/forum/phpBB2/v … light=#338

Doug Riddle pulled this sort of crap on me when I gave my opinion on MS (which wasn't condeming I have nothing against any OS I have used a few and never disliked one they all have their uses).

Geez why did I stick around! I must be a freak or something.

Anyway like I say I can be harsh but I will never try and insult any one. My criticisms are always in the interest of improving the product or a service of it. If I am wrong then tell me so if i step over the line tell me so. I will always alpologize even if i don't feel like it.

I really look forward to being able to be a help to the Arch community forgive me though if I do not chime in too much for awhile. I am too burned by the Libranet experience to be much help at the moment .

I am sure though that I will be posting here tonight and over the next few days to learn just how to tweak some stuff (I will likely need help with my MTA depending on just how much of it I have to do on m own). I admit I am very weak in this area (and alot of networking stuff too I might add).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2002-08-27 09:37:07

ody
Website

/me looks at libranet...

I wouldnt pay for it, and I pitty the foul who does! I do, I do!

Aside from that, make all the comments/suggestions/rants/complaints you want, as developers we overlook the dare I say it "simple" things sometimes, and this is always frustrating for the newer user of linux.. so the more feedback we get however placed the better.  From the looks of it libranet are just a bunch of shits out for the money, and microsoft.. hell they wouldnt listen to god if he talked.

And its good to know your want to devote time to AL, hope to see more of you over time wink

Board footer