You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-08 08:37:53

Noudoudoulidou

Acpi problem at boot, can't figure out which one

Hi,

When I boot my laptop, after the grub menu, I don't see anything else then a black screen. I found a trick to access the login screen:
In the grub menu, press e to configure boot options, add the boot parameter acpi=off. Then, my laptop boot successfully, but i'm not able to use the laptop keyboard or touchpad, I have to plug a keyboard and a mouse.
The strange thing is, if I make an update, and there is a linux package update, when I reboot my laptop, I can boot normally, without adding the boot parameter, and I arrive at the login screen, able to use the laptop and touchpad BUT only once!
If I reboot again, I can't arrive to the log screen without the first scenario mentioned above.

My question would be: How could I see the logs or whatever, so I could investigate? I searched a lot and people tend to say they are no logs at all for the boots?
Seeing the verbose boot would also help me, but I can't figure out how to see them, I only have a black screen until the login screen. I remove the "quiet" boot argument but it didn't change anything.

Any help would be appreciated smile

Thanks!

#2 2018-06-08 09:07:43

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Acpi problem at boot, can't figure out which one

acpi=off isn't a solution, the other part of the post makes me more inclined to think that this might be the issue with the random seed: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=236696

As for looking at the logs look through your journal: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … ing_output

#3 2018-06-08 14:52:03

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Acpi problem at boot, can't figure out which one

Any chance you can ssh into the box from another machine?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer