You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-08 17:39:44

Matalonder

Text cursor gets a little "flag" randomly in Qt applications

Basically, what is this and how can I make it go away? I don't know much about Qt and have no idea how to google this ("qt text cursor flag" only gives me one discussion of same problem at manjaro forum with no solution).

Cursor changing as I type is fairly disruptive. Psi+ is used as an example, but this happens in all qt applications. I have qt5 5.11.0-1, but this began several updates ago, so not sure with which version exactly.

This is how normal cursor looks:
dqXwsyp.png

This is how "flagged" cursor looks:
OskPOd8.png

#2 2018-06-08 18:07:54

etnull

Re: Text cursor gets a little "flag" randomly in Qt applications

What's your DE? What libraries did you install for DE apart of X11?

#3 2018-06-08 18:32:57

Matalonder

etnull wrote:

What's your DE? What libraries did you install for DE apart of X11?

No DE, I'm running Awesome WM over raw X11. No desktop, no window decoration, no 'system settings', and login is non-graphical too.

I installed basically anything required by the software I wanted. I have both Qt and GTK software, and I think all different kinds too (qt3, qt4, qt5, gtk2. gtk3). Right, I also have some KDE and Gnome software too (kate, gedit come to mind right away), so if those pulled in some of their libs, I have them.

If you tell me a prefix for packages or something like that, I can query pacman for it.

Last edited by Matalonder (2018-06-08 18:34:50)

#4 2018-06-08 18:54:38

etnull

I don't know how to fix it, sorry. But it doesn't look like a 'cursor' problem, I mean this bar thing is not moving and should be internal to Qt or X11. Have you tried to roll back to previous Qt?
I'm on openbox and I have xcursor-neutral installed and configured through lxappearance. and I don't have such problem.

#5 2018-06-08 19:23:38

Matalonder

etnull wrote:

I don't know how to fix it, sorry. But it doesn't look like a 'cursor' problem, I mean this bar thing is not moving and should be internal to Qt or X11. Have you tried to roll back to previous Qt?
I'm on openbox and I have xcursor-neutral installed and configured through lxappearance. and I don't have such problem.

Not sure if I got you about "not moving", but this is moving - this is text cursor that moves around text fields as you input text, controlled by cursor keys. And when "flag" appears, it's just part of the text cursor (not mouse cursor, right), it moves along with it as part of it. Text input "bar" turns into a "flag" basically.

Rolling back Qt is not something I can do right away (just getting old qt5-base breaks everything, and cherry-picking all the packages I need to downgrade with logs is... Trouble), but I assume it'd help. This flag thing appears only in Qt applications (only Qt5 even, I think?) and it wasn't there until recently (month or so).

#6 2018-06-08 19:54:30

arojas
Developer

This "flag" cursor means you are using bidi input

#7 2018-06-08 20:10:23

Matalonder

arojas wrote:

This "flag" cursor means you are using bidi input

Bidi as in bidirectional?

Great, so inserting a unicode character or just splitting a message into two lines in Psi+ now drops me into bidirectional input. For some reason, despite text being all normal left to right. At least that helps to understand what this thing even is, thanks!

Maybe this just needs relevant updates in specific software to be fixed, or recompiling with newer Qt? I'll try that.

UPD: rebuilding did nothing.

Last edited by Matalonder (2018-06-08 20:53:23)

#8 2018-06-08 22:15:06

arojas
Developer

Matalonder wrote:

Great, so inserting a unicode character or just splitting a message into two lines in Psi+ now drops me into bidirectional input.

If it's a character from a right-to-left language then yes, this is expected.

#9 2018-06-09 13:47:56

Matalonder

arojas wrote:
Matalonder wrote:

Great, so inserting a unicode character or just splitting a message into two lines in Psi+ now drops me into bidirectional input.

If it's a character from a right-to-left language then yes, this is expected.

No, it isn't from a right-to-left language.

Examples of characters that trigger it and are definitely ltr in my knowledge: ヮ, ‿,, 从, ∂, ノ, ⌫. Well, some of them are top-to-bottom, strictly speaking, but when written horizontally they're left-to-right. Also (in Psi+ at least) a simple newline triggers it, which is definitely not expected.

Board footer