You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-26 07:17:29

AndreyTarkovsky

Invisible Wine windows issue.

Well, I'm having a really annoyng issue here:

After a upgrade, my Wine apps can not run. I'm using playonlinux and to be more specific, I'm trying to run Heroes of the Storm(which was working pretty well last night).
When I try to run it, my tint2 shows me there is a window running with the name of the game, but I can not see it, it's completely invisible. When debugging it, I can see this:

Running wine-1.9.13 Battle.net Launcher.exe (Working directory : /home/gustavo/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/heroes_of_the_storm/drive_c/Program Files/Battle.net)
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0 stub
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW (0x120db0,0xfedcdc,0xc90004),stub!
fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce3340 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0036, blocked by 0040, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce3340 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 002a, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7bce3340 "loader.c: loader_section" wait timed out in thread 0033, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
So, It's looks like there is something wrong with my freetype package, which is installed and the version it 2.7.1-1.
Anyways, I tried to find a solution on google... no success.

Any guess?

#2 2017-03-26 10:23:30

LeCrayonVert

Re: Invisible Wine windows issue.

I've just got the same issue today with Hearthstone (also installed with POL). I don't know if it's related to the newest changes from Blizzard (renaming Battle.net to Blizzard).
The invisible window contains the following link : https://eu.battle.net/support/en/articl … =app-other

I believe in a world I can and do understand. A rational universe, explained through rational means.

#3 2017-03-26 14:04:18

hopchis

I had the same issue. It is not an issue with running any particular game. It is not a wine issue. It is a Playonlinux problem. System-installed wine works just fine. The problem comes when using Playonlinux and using a version other than the system version of Wine.

You can still use Playonlinux, but you need to set the configuration settings to use the system version of Wine rather than a locally installed version from Playonlinux.

When various libraries get updated they need other libraries they depend upon to be updated too. Playonlinux has a whole bunch of locally installed libraries for the locally installed wine versions under /home/<username>/.Playonlinux/wine/linux-x86(or AMD64)/<wine version number>/lib

My guess is that one or more of Playonlinux' local libraries is compiled against a previous version of freetype or something that interacts with freetype, and when freetype or something that interacts with it got updated, it broke Playonlinux' ability to run local versions of Wine. I'm sure there is a way to track down what is going wrong and maybe just add some links to the local version's lib directory, but that would have to be repeated every time you use a different version of wine and would be a lot of time and effort to sort out what has to happen. I tried just as much and couldn't figure it out, though. My advice is to simply use Wine directly or use the system version of Wine through Playonlinux. I don't know if this is something Playonlinux themselves should sort out or if it is something that should be handled by the package maintainer at Archlinux, but yes, as of this time, the local wine version feature of Playonlinux is definitely broken on Arch and the only thing I know for certain is that the debug window complains about not being able to find libfreetype.

#4 2017-03-26 22:06:00

Dawnofdusk

I'm experiencing this issue too and can confirm that it's a PlayOnLinux not a wine issue. I think it might have to do with the mesa and libglvnd update but I'm unsure. It fixed when I restored a previous btrfs snapshot before a pacman -Syu I took today. I would try to individually downgrade mesa and associated packages and see if that fixes it? Just spitballing possibilities though.

#5 2017-03-27 05:10:16

AndreyTarkovsky

Exactly, after trying to run my apps using the system's version of Wine, it worked fine, looks like there is something missing on playonlinux that can not load the freetype lib. But that's strange that We got the same error after an upgrade...

#6 2017-03-27 09:56:09

Fincer

I have also broken 32-bit stuff on PlayOnLinux since yesterday.

Solution

I was able to track down which specific PlayOnLinux libraries ($HOME/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/<wine-version>/lib) cause the issue.

Just remove all libz.so library files included in PlayOnLinux library folders.

After all, this is an issue with outdated lib32-zlib files in PlayOnLinux library folder.

The dependency route goes as follows:
lib32-freetype2 depends on lib32-libpng which depends on lib32-zlib. Zlib libraries are the only ones PlayOnLinux ships on its own.

Alternative solution (not as good as the first one)

You can also get PlayOnLinux 32-bit prefixes working again if you downgrade your lib32-libpng package from 1.6.29 -> 1.6.27.

Last edited by Fincer (2017-03-27 11:11:55)

#7 2017-03-31 02:03:01

javamarket

Thanks for this @Fincer

#8 2017-04-03 22:43:20

nannerpussy

Don't know exactly when it started, but this is a PlayOnLinux issue and it fucked me as well. Removing all the 32bit zlibs seems to work, but now I need to try it against my wine-gaming-nine install. Will update after it compiles and I can setup SW:TOR again.

Edit: POL is aware of it and the bug has been reported numerous times I'm sure. It's currently listed as Urgent and has forum topic: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/issue-5476.html

Last edited by nannerpussy (2017-04-03 22:50:49)

#9 2017-04-04 23:10:44

Fincer

@javamarket

No probs. I'm glad that people find the solution useful.

@nannerpussy

It's good to hear that POL guys are aware. Hopefully the issue gets a proper fix soon.

#10 2017-04-10 17:19:35

Campaigner444
Website

Fincer wrote:

Solution

I was able to track down which specific PlayOnLinux libraries ($HOME/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/<wine-version>/lib) cause the issue.

After all, this is an issue with outdated lib32-zlib files in PlayOnLinux library folder.

lib32-freetype2 depends on lib32-libpng which depends on lib32-zlib. Zlib libraries are the only ones PlayOnLinux ships on its own.

You can also get PlayOnLinux 32-bit prefixes working again if you downgrade your lib32-libpng package from 1.6.29 -> 1.6.27.

Thanks for this. Solution 1 seems to work for me.

#11 2017-04-15 12:29:33

jackgris

Thanks for this @Fincer, I delete the files and now everything works fine

#12 2017-05-01 15:19:16

slaecker

Fincer wrote:

Solution

That just solved my 32 bit Steam prefix, many thanks!

#13 2017-05-17 12:36:42

kikislater

Fincer wrote:

Solution

Wow ! It works but I have already deleted my .Playonlinux folder ...

#14 2017-05-23 22:13:38

VinceNardelli

Having to delete the libs as well...

Anyone knows whether the PlayonLinux team is aware of this problem and working on it ?

#15 2017-05-28 00:04:24

nannerpussy

VinceNardelli wrote:

Having to delete the libs as well...

Anyone knows whether the PlayonLinux team is aware of this problem and working on it ?

Yeah, they are very aware of it. Last I looked it had been moved to the top of the priority queue and got the ominous red text. Whatever that means over there. They are super busy with the new java-based POL5 right now I imagine and the repo version every distro uses is probably close to being deprecated by them.

The GenToo forums dug into this here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1058636.html and there is a workaround during freetype compile inside your wine prefix, but not only do I have no idea how to convert gentoo emerge commands and flags into Arch-Speak, but it's way easier to just rm all the libz.so libraries in one fell swoop:

rm -f ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/linux*/*/lib*/libz*

However, it seems it's only a matter of changing a single flag during that make, so your mileage may vary.

Edit: just had a look at the earlier-linked POL forum and according to an Archer, the problem has been fixed in 2.8+ but is still there in older versions.

Last edited by nannerpussy (2017-05-28 00:09:41)

#16 2017-05-29 17:30:41

zebulon

I just found out this thread while researching the bug. Interestingly, this affected me for 64-bit prefixes, not 32-bit ones! Installing Steam lead me to the empty dialog only in 64-bit, even for the 2.9 wine.

#17 2018-06-08 19:42:10

psycho_tea_drinker

Anyone else running into this issue right now? I don't have PlanOnLinux installed.

#18 2018-06-08 20:59:59

circleface

Please do not bump old threads.  If you are having the same issue, please start a new thread and explain in detail what you are experiencing and what you have done so far.  You can link back to this thread if you think it is still relevant.

#19 2018-06-08 21:07:25

ewaller
Administrator

circleface wrote:

Please do not bump old threads.  If you are having the same issue, please start a new thread and explain in detail what you are experiencing and what you have done so far.  You can link back to this thread if you think it is still relevant.

This.  I am going to go ahead and close this thread and invite you to stat a new one which you will own.

Thanks.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer