You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-02 16:11:37

Slithery
Administrator

Does anyone use WireGuard?

I've been reading a bit about WireGuard recently, hopefully it will be included in the kernel in the next few releases. I'm also waiting for systemd-networkd integration as that's what I use to manage most of my network connections.

Just wondering if anyone here uses it, I'm about to run some tests on my VPS's and client devices. It looks like configuration for my use case should be much easier than with IPSec/OpenVPN, as well as the potential for speed/CPU usage benefits.

The requisite packages wireguard-{dkms,tools} are in [community] so obviously someone's interested, just wanted to know if anyone else has trialled it yet.

Last edited by Slithery (2017-11-02 16:17:19)

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#2 2017-11-03 08:06:16

lilydjwg

Re: Does anyone use WireGuard?

I'm using it to connect my work machine with my home laptop. It's much easier to configure than OpenVPN. I write my own service files to start it up.

#3 2017-11-13 11:11:17

nos1609

lilydjwg wrote:

I write my own service files to start it up.

Can you share them please? I have a successfull link between two LEDE routers, but can't get link on archlinux...

#4 2018-03-04 12:25:27

Condor

Just recently I stumbled across WireGuard, and have tested it a bit. My main use cases are secure tunnelling of data when on public WiFi (I am in hotels quite often) and IPv6 tunnels as my ISP refuses to enable dual stack. (I know of dedicated IPv6 tunnels like Hurricane Electric and have used them before.)

It really is a breeze when you have wrapped your head around the concept. I like how it tries to follow the concept of developing a small tool with a very dedicated purpose – and not more. For example, I don't need a dozen choices of encryption protocols. One suitably safe one suffices.

The VPN provider Mullvad (from Sweden) provides a publicly available wireguard service next to its main OpenVPN tunnel. It looks like in beta state, but works quite well and fast so far. If you want to try it, their sign-up process is minimalistic and they throw in a couple of hours free testing.

nos1609 wrote:
lilydjwg wrote:

I write my own service files to start it up.

Can you share them please? I have a successfull link between two LEDE routers, but can't get link on archlinux...

Try installing wireguard-tools alongside. Next to several example configurations, it ships a systemd service unit for the helper script wg-quick. With a config file present in /etc/wireguard, you can enable the tunnel like

# systemctl enable wg-quick@your-config-name-here.service

(For more details, check the examples section of the wg-quick manpage, it's worth reading.)

#5 2018-03-04 15:05:25

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'm not using it yet, I was waiting for it to get mainlined. That said, the current systemd should have some support for wireguard[1].

[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob … /NEWS#L146

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#6 2018-06-10 22:07:03

adihrustic

Yeah, I do. I'm no networking expert, but it feels like wireguard is slicker and faster than openvpn. I have it on my phone as well, probably won't be going back to openVPN any time

I also made a wrapper for wireguard if you're using mullvad

Last edited by adihrustic (2018-06-10 22:11:47)

Board footer