You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-13 04:50:52

cooleb09

How to diagnose suspected gpu performance issue beyond nvidia-smi

Hi

I am running a vfio setup, specs are:

Ryzen 2700, with threads 9-15 pinned to the vm
16GB ram, 8GB in static huge pages and passed to the vm GTX1070, passed to the vm
GT710 for the host.

I have been having some stuttering issues on the host (VM works fine even while gaming), wherin I get seemingly multiple secodns worth of input lag 'sometimes', i.e it may take 3-5 seconds for words I type to appear, windows to open/move, cursor/mouse-over-highlighting doesn't update if it can click or not, videos freeze etc. - even while not gaming in the vm.

htop shows no cores above 12%, ram at about 0% utilisation (good since 50% is given to the vm anyway).

My suspicion is that the poor GT710 might not be able to cut it running 3 screens for the host, but watch nvidia-smi gives only:

{
Wed Jun 13 09:48:46 2018       
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 396.24                 Driver Version: 396.24                    |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce GT 710      On   | 00000000:0A:00.0 N/A |                  N/A |
| 41%   43C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    471MiB /   978MiB |     N/A      Default |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
|  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0                    Not Supported                                       |
}

as output, and is not showing power cap or overall utilization information.
The temp seems load for a card that I would suspect to be struggling, but since it is a low-power card (doesn't even have dedicated power connectors) I suspect that it could simply not have enough power to boost high enough to heat itself or run my setup.

At the same time, there are enough unknowns that I don't feel its worth the cost to blindly part-swap at this stage, esp at current gpu prices.

What would be the next step in this diagnostic process?

As a continuation, does anyone have any experience running quadros on linux? I was thinking that if I did need to replace the card of moving to a quadro p400 or 600 (3 DP ports seems pretty good), or would it be better/easier to just go for a 1050?

Last edited by cooleb09 (2018-06-13 04:51:50)

#2 2018-06-13 07:52:02

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: How to diagnose suspected gpu performance issue beyond nvidia-smi

There might be some other factors at play here, what environment do you run? Any nvidia specific configuration options? In general nvidia's 2D/Xorg acceleration leaves a lot to be desired, if you run a plain environment without a compositor most Xorg operations will end up running on the CPU or with low 2D perf.

Last edited by V1del (2018-06-13 07:54:32)

#3 2018-06-13 11:53:12

cooleb09

V1del wrote:

There might be some other factors at play here, what environment do you run? Any nvidia specific configuration options? .

I'm running xfce4 with default composting settings and the auto-generated settings file.   

V1del wrote:

most Xorg operations will end up running on the CPU or with low 2D perf .

Given that there is no igpu, I think that the 'or with low 2d performance' is the case here, is the situation any better on the radeon side?

#4 2018-06-13 12:09:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

Afaik (no hands on experience so might be offbase here) xfwm's compositor is relatively simple, you might want to give a proper compton config a shot for example. But yeah three monitors might well be contributing to the fact that the card is from a lower segment.

Regarding the situation if you intend to put a new card in anyway. Yes pretty much anything with free drivers does relatively well for desktop accel. You might even want to try and see if nouveau would be enough for your setup requirements.

Board footer