You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-21 06:36:50

fofoni

Display freezes Intel video card when upgrading to Xorg 1.20

My video card is Intel, not nvidia, but I believe I was affected by this. I upgraded today (I'm not 100% sure that I didn't already have xorg-server 1.20), and then I experienced very strange xorg behaviour, and when I rolled back to xorg-server 1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2 (using https://archive.archlinux.org/ to go back to last week) everything went back to normal.

The strange behaviour I experienced was: my window manager (i3) loaded fine, urxvt loaded fine, I could interact with the wm, open more terminals, but when I tried firefox, or chromium, or even glxgears, the display freezed. I would then log in another tty, and see that everything seemed fine (memory and cpu consimption below 5%). But when I went back to the original graphical tty, the display was still completely unresponsive. Killing the offensive process (firefox/chromium/glxgears) didn't help; I had to kill the whole session.

I also wholeheartedly agree that an announcement would have been very much welcome.

Last edited by fofoni (2018-05-22 05:41:04)

#2 2018-05-21 07:47:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Display freezes Intel video card when upgrading to Xorg 1.20

fofoni wrote:

My video card is Intel, not nvidia, but I believe I was affected by this. I upgraded today (I'm not 100% sure that I didn't already have xorg-server 1.20), and then I experienced very strange xorg behaviour, and when I rolled back to xorg-server 1.19.6+13+gd0d1a694f-2 (using https://archive.archlinux.org/ to go back to last week) everything went back to normal.

The strange behaviour I experienced was: my window manager (i3) loaded fine, urxvt loaded fine, I could interact with the wm, open more terminals, but when I tried firefox, or chromium, or even glxgears, the display freezed. I would then log in another tty, and see that everything seemed fine (memory and cpu consimption below 5%). But when I went back to the original graphical tty, the display was still completely unresponsive. Killing the offensive process (firefox/chromium/glxgears) didn't help; I had to kill the whole session.

I also wholeheartedly agree that an announcement would have been very much welcome.

Your post... has nothing to do with the topic here. At all. How did you conclude that your symptoms were in any way related to what others here are reporting?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2018-05-21 07:58:13

fofoni

ngoonee wrote:

Your post... has nothing to do with the topic here. At all. How did you conclude that your symptoms were in any way related to what others here are reporting?

Because I experienced a broken xorg when upgrading from 1.19 to 1.20, just like the OP mentioned. Is this really a different issue? Do you know what could it be?

#4 2018-05-21 09:09:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

People here can not start xorg at all because it is entirely incompatible with the mentioned nvidia driver version, it is a different issue. Please don't conflate multiple issues into one topic.

If you are using xf86-video-intel try without, also make sure you are completely updated, afaik latest mesa (18.0.4) contained a few fixes for similar symptoms.

Split off of: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=237248

Last edited by V1del (2018-05-21 09:10:53)

#5 2018-05-22 05:35:01

fofoni

V1del wrote:

If you are using xf86-video-intel try without

I'm not using xf86-video-intel; actually, I haven't for a long time, always gave me lots of headaches.

V1del wrote:

also make sure you are completely updated, afaik latest mesa (18.0.4) contained a few fixes for similar symptoms.

I had just finished a complete update when I noticed the symptoms, but I don't know the mesa version I had when the system was broken. Right now, in the downgraded (and functional) system I have mesa 18.0.3. I'll try another full update and see if things work, thanks.

#6 2018-05-22 05:59:08

seth

Try glxinfo and glxgears, if they also fail, strace them.
Also check your xorg log for pot. errors.

#7 2018-05-27 05:54:55

enihcam

@fofoni, are you using modesettings driver?

have you tried Intel GuC/HuC/DMC firmware?

The setup instruction is here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … re_loading

For more information about intel graphics firmare:
https://01.org/zh/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware

Last edited by enihcam (2018-05-27 05:55:17)

#8 2018-06-15 23:50:40

fofoni

I only had the time to try to upgrade again today, here's an update. (tl;dr: upgrading packages to latest didn't work; solved it by reverting an overwrite of LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE that I had set up a while ago; I still don't know if this will have any unwanted side-effects)

Today, I attempted to upgrade evertything back to the latest versions (in particular, mesa 18.1.1-1, xorg-server 1.20.0-7). I don't have xf86-video-intel, I'm using modesetting. When I upgraded and rebooted, I experinced the same behaviour mentioned in the OP above. I tried straceing glxinfo as suggested by seth. Here's the paste: http://ix.io/1dva and its tail:

close(3)                                = 0
getpid()                                = 1290
exit_group(0)                           = ?
+++ exited with 0 +++

Apparently, glxinfo actually exits, but probably by then X has already frozen, because I don't ever see the bash prompt again. The only thing I see is one line of output for glxinfo:

name of display: :0

Ok, after that, I remembered that I once had this other problem [1] back when I used xf86-video-intel. I solved it, but the problem came back when I switched to modesetting. I did some research and solved it back then by putting this:

export LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1

in my .bash_profile (Today, I have no idea where I got that from smile probably wiki)

I tried to boot without this line, and bam, it works! glxinfo and glxgears and firefox all work alright. So, I believe this is "solved", though I don't know what's happening. If anyone's interested, here's an strace of glxinfo in the working system: http://ix.io/1dvg

I'm still waiting to see if I will have any problems like [1] again, now that I reverted the solution to it.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback!

Last edited by fofoni (2018-06-15 23:59:52)

Board footer