You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 04:49:49

pablox
Website

[SOLVED] Reinstalling grub efi

I lost access to my arch linux/ubuntu installation after installing windows 10. Arch linux is on a zfs system, previously I accessed it through grub2.

I already installed refind, so I can boot into windows, but I can't find any way to "chainload" into my previous grub configuration (it has a configuration to enter an Ubuntu installation also). Kernel and initrd images live in a standalone /boot partiiton.

I tried using grub-install, but it doesn't work because fails with: "grub-install error failed to get canonical path of airootfs"*. I just want to install the grub efi file, but I can't find in the documentation how to do it hmm.

*I can't chroot since I don't have zfs installed on my live image.

Any idea how/where I should start?

Last edited by pablox (2018-06-18 23:22:31)

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#2 2018-06-18 14:25:49

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Reinstalling grub efi

Are you sure it's the GRUB's EFI binary that is gone and not just the NVRAM entry for GRUB? If it's just the entry, you can recreate it with efibootmgr.

As for the solution on this particular error message:
Since you're not running in chroot, grub-install will use the /boot directory on the live medium. Mount your boot partition somewhere and tell grub-install to use it with the option "--boot-directory=/path/to/boot_mountpoint". See GRUB#Installation_2 for other required options.

#3 2018-06-18 23:22:17

pablox
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Reinstalling grub efi

No, there's no grub EFI binary, which now confuses me... I don't know if when I installed windows 10 partitioned the ESP partition (maybe).

I have tried the --boot-directoy parameter, and now it worked perfectly. I dunno what I was doing wrong. Thanks! I'm marking it as solved smile.

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

Board footer