You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-08 23:07:17

stf92

Arch install failed for lack of internet connectivity.

Hi: I tried to install the image archlinux-2018.02.01-x86_64.iso to disk but I could not connect to the Internet. Once I booted the image I was logged in as root user. Then I did 'ping archlinux.org' as pointed out in the Arch Wiki but the name could not be resolved. Then I did:

# dmesg|grep iwlwifi
[the driver that understands the wifi controller on this notebook]
        loaded firmware version 19.... op-mode iwlmvm
        wlp2s0: renamed from wlan0
# modprobe iwlmvm
# ip link show dev wlp2s0
2: wlp2s0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT ...
        link/ether b4:34:83:48       brf: ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

So wlp2s0 was not up. Any suggestions?

Last edited by stf92 (2018-06-08 23:09:16)

#2 2018-06-08 23:45:55

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Arch install failed for lack of internet connectivity.

Yes, one suggestion.  Follow the instructions in the installation guide that say wired networking is enabled by default, and if you need something else, follow the link to the Network Configuration page.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2018-06-09 04:36:17

bashM0nk3y

If you're trying to associate to a wireless AP while booted into the archiso, you prob want to use 'wifi-menu'.

If you're having troubles with your wireless interface not being up just do a

...# ifconfig <interface> up
or
...# ip link set <interface> up

but to the best of my knowledge, wifi-menu should be pretty automatic.

This command also has worked well for me in the past but it's not persistant across reboots.

..# wpa_supplicant -B -i <interface> -c <(wpa_passphrase <SSID> <PSK>)

Then just grab an IP with dhcpcd or dhclient and you should be good to go. again, wifi-menu should work unless there is something else going on.

Last edited by bashM0nk3y (2018-06-09 04:42:03)

#4 2018-06-20 14:45:07

bol4ivar

wifi-menu will only work if your wifi device  recognized by the kernel during installation.  If you have something like a broadcom modem that requires the download and installation of a driver via pacman you will be out of luck until you get to an ethernet connectiion.  Suggestion - go purchase a new usb wifi modem, most recent manufacturers will work, then you will have a surefire way to connect to the internet in case you have to make repairs vis the installaton media, mount, chroot, etc.

#5 2018-06-20 14:56:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What?  That's horrible advice.  First the interface clearly exists already, this is readily apparent in the first post.  There is even information in the first post about the driver in use for wireless, and it's not broadcom.  All that is needed here is to follow the instructions to get a wireless connection.  Suggestions to go buy new hardware are ridiculous.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2018-06-20 15:01:46

bol4ivar

You have a better idea?  If the the wifi device was recognized during the installation, all that is needed to to to wifi-menu, connect to the yuor network and you are done.  A cheap USB wifi costs less than 8 USD.

#7 2018-06-20 15:05:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The device was recognized: again, read the first post.  Second, there is no indication that the OP has attempted to use wifi-menu or do anything at all to connect to a wireless network yet.  The better idea would be simply to follow the installation guide to get a connection.

Last edited by Trilby (2018-06-20 15:05:58)

#8 2018-06-20 15:12:21

bol4ivar

Ah, excuse me, but the installation gude calls for the use of wifi-menu. It is the easiest way to connect to a wireless network.  Just because a wifi device is recognized doesn't mean it will work, you can spend an inordinate amount of time, which is usually useless, trying to configure a wifi device during installation, when the alternative is easier. 8 bucks is hardly a lost a money to pay for something that will work everytime, rather than spend a good bit of time to connect when all you are trying to do is install the system.

#9 2018-06-20 15:27:02

ewaller
Administrator

bol4ivar wrote:

Ah, excuse me, but the installation gude calls for the use of wifi-menu. It is the easiest way to connect to a wireless network.  Just because a wifi device is recognized doesn't mean it will work, you can spend an inordinate amount of time, which is usually useless, trying to configure a wifi device during installation, when the alternative is easier. 8 bucks is hardly a lost a money to pay for something that will work everytime, rather than spend a good bit of time to connect when all you are trying to do is install the system.

In this use case, USB tether a phone and it behaves as a wired interface.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#10 2018-06-20 17:53:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm still just confused - a usb wifi device just adds another variable.  It too will not just magically work, one still has to establish a connection to some wireless network.  There is no indication that the on board wireless is a problem, and there is no reason a priori to expect a random usb wifi dongle would be any more likely to work out of the box.

#11 2018-06-20 17:59:10

ewaller
Administrator

I don't think USB was mentioned prior to my post.  Trilby, I assume you are commenting that the wifi may not be supported, regardless of its interface.   If you are commenting on the tethering of a phone, they actually map as a wired adapter and form a two machine TCP/IP network with the phone and invariably works out of the box.  If the phone has Internet connectivity, and provide NAT, it just works -- no drivers needed other than those on the install media

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#12 2018-06-20 21:02:24

bol4ivar

I mentioned the efficacy of using a USB device several posts, forward. In fact, Mr. Administrator, you included my discussion of the use of a USB device, when you cited me, above.  Now, I thought this was a forum in which new users could be helped and guided to a successful installation of arch linux. The tethering of a smart phone after the installation media has booted as well as trying to implement the setup of a wireless, without the use of wifi-menu, seem to defeat the purpose of lending solid advice.   In the future, I believe, the more straightforward approach, even if it entails the expenditure of a few dollars for something like a USB modem,  to be better and more helpful.

There is a long list,  in a archwiki piece, of wifi-devices that will work with the wifi-menu software found on the installatioon media. And, yes, all you have to do is plus the device in the port, type wifi-menu at the command prompt and connect to one of SSIDs presented. What could be easier?

#13 2018-06-20 21:17:24

ewaller
Administrator

bol4ivar wrote:

I mentioned the efficacy of using a USB device several posts, forward. In fact, Mr. Administrator, you included my discussion of the use of a USB device, when you cited me, above.  Now, I thought this was a forum in which new users could be helped and guided to a successful installation of arch linux. The tethering of a smart phone after the installation media has booted as well as trying to implement the setup of a wireless, without the use of wifi-menu, seem to defeat the purpose of lending solid advice.   In the future, I believe, the more straightforward approach, even if it entails the expenditure of a few dollars for something like a USB modem,  to be better and more helpful.

Wow.  Sorry I missed the mention of the USB, I skimmed back through the thread and missed it.  But my suggestion is sincere -- boot the system, attach a phone to the USB, turn on tethering, and issue the command dhcpcd from the command line on the Linux box, and you will have Internet access. Most people do already own a phone, so this comes at zero additional cost.  And there is no need to even run wifi-menu, or associate with an access point.  The system really, simply, will see the phone connection as a wired interface.   (Edit:)  At this point you can install the system, and any wifi drivers you will need after the system is booted. (end edit)  Seems pretty straight forward to me.  I have used this trick countless times.

Edit 2:  What really puzzles me -- I was posting to be helpful, I had not donned my moderator/administrator hat -- Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Last edited by ewaller (2018-06-20 21:24:31)

---

#14 2018-06-20 22:22:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I don't get the continued references to one approach using wifi-menu and the other not.  One needs both wireless hardware, and connection software.  Wifi-menu is an example of the latter.  The OP can use wifi-menu with their current hardware (or they could use wpa_supplicant, or network manager, or any number of other connection tools).

Suggesting they buy new wireless hardware does neither alleviates the need for connection software nor does it uniquely allow it's use.  So, again, how on earth would (new-usb-hardware)->(wifi-menu) be better than (current-hardware)->(wifi-menu)?  You are suggesting the OP replace the hardware where there is no reason to do so - and the sole problem is that they don't seem to have used wifi-menu or any other software to get a connection.

#15 2018-06-22 03:03:50

bashM0nk3y

ewaller wrote:

... But my suggestion is sincere -- boot the system, attach a phone to the USB, turn on tethering, and issue the command dhcpcd from the command line on the Linux box, and you will have Internet access...

This is how I installed arch on my smaller laptop with no RJ45.
Im sure I could've setup a normal wifi connection, but seeing how easy it is to setup the "ethernet over USB tether" I just opted for that since this was a one-time-connection while booted into the archiso.

Board footer