You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-18 22:19:11

gcb

plasma-workspace and kuiserver are in conflict.

Today on my daily update i am getting: 'plasma-workspace and kuiserver are in conflict.'

also, i am blocked from installing anything. Pacman just exits with error code 1.

I am not a kde dev or contributor. So i did a quick search and i think kuiserver was the old name for plasma-workspace (might be wrong there)

so i tried to remove what i assume is the old version:
sudo pacman -R kuiserver
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: plasma-workspace: removing kuiserver breaks dependency 'kuiserver'

and now i have no idea what else to do. Suggestions?

#2 2018-06-18 22:20:17

gcb

Re: plasma-workspace and kuiserver are in conflict.

full output:

$ sudo pacman -Syyuu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core                                                                          130.0 KiB  2.70M/s 00:00 [#############################################################] 100%
extra                                                                        1645.3 KiB  7.54M/s 00:00 [#############################################################] 100%
community                                                                       4.4 MiB  10.7M/s 00:00 [#############################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kuiserver with extra/plasma-workspace? [Y/n] resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: plasma-workspace and kuiserver are in conflict. Remove kuiserver? [y/N] error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: plasma-workspace and kuiserver are in conflict

#3 2018-06-18 22:46:15

arojas
Developer

Why did you say no to the first question?

#4 2018-06-18 23:20:33

gcb

arojas wrote:

Why did you say no to the first question?

i did not. That was all automatic.

#5 2018-06-18 23:33:07

gcb

Ok, that was very weird.

You message made me question that it was indeed very weird that pacman never waited for me to provide any input on any of those questions. I tried to debug my shell to see if it was being flagged an non-interactive or anything else, but found nothing.

I rebooted and pacman returned to normal! (-S abx, and -Su both worked as expected)

To test again, i tried with -Suuyy that i use everyday, and it went back to dumb mode, failing without waiting for input. And after it gets into that mode, i found no way to restore it back without a reboot. But after a reboot i works again.

Now i completed the upgrade just fine (using -Su), and only while it was happening thought that i could have debugged this further. Maybe lsof would have showed a temp file breaking things?

#6 2018-06-20 06:31:01

now-im

First of all, don't use this command `sudo pacman -Syyuu`
They are in conflict means Kuiserver is replaced by Plasma-Workspace. It happens very often in Linux system. Don't worry.
Just do, `sudo pacman -Syu` and then asks if you want to remove Kuiserver, hit Y. That is it.

#7 2018-06-20 17:17:55

c00ter

The doubled-u in "-Syuu" may lead to unintended consequences, @OP, unless you are intending to downgrade.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer